cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I connect Alexa to my Rogers Home Security

msbutton27
I've been around

I am wondering if I can connect my Alexa unit to help control things, such as - turn off alarm system when I get up.  Connect to the various cameras, etc...

I came across articles for Google Assistant, but nothing on Alexa.

***EDITED LABELS***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can I connect Alexa to my Rogers Home Security

RogersMoin

Hello, @msbutton27.

Welcome to Rogers Community Forums! 😃

Thank you for your query; it would nice when assistants from multiple platforms can be supported. At the moment, only Google Assistant is supported. Thank you for understanding!

Cheers,
RogersMoin

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

RogersMoin

Hello, @msbutton27.

Welcome to Rogers Community Forums! 😃

Thank you for your query; it would nice when assistants from multiple platforms can be supported. At the moment, only Google Assistant is supported. Thank you for understanding!

Cheers,
RogersMoin

what commands are available through google assistant? other than light control. can smart locks be controlled ?

Hello, @ajarrar

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 😃

Being able to control your Home Automation functions via the Google Assistant is a really cool feature!

While I wish the smart locks were able to be controlled by the Google Assistant, this functionality is not available at this time. Please Click Here for the FAQ article for the Google Home and Smart Home Monitoring.

I hope this helps!

RogersTony

Just got an email they are dropping Google Assistant support. I will be dropping Rogers. That is SHM/TV/Internet/Phone and 2 cell phones... You did this to yourself Rogers. Thanks for all this useless equipment. Can I have a refund for buying your proprietary devices that are now going to be useless?

Hello, @amuldoon.

Thank you for joining Rogers Community and for your post. 

Due to upcoming updates to our customer authentication system, compatibility with Google Assistant will be impacted, as we are committed to the most advanced security standards for our customers. 

You can continue to use Google Assistant since your Google account is already linked with the Smart Home Monitoring account. However, if your Google account becomes unpaired from your Smart Home Monitoring system, you will not be able to reconnect it. 

We’ll keep you posted if Google Assistant becomes compatible with Smart Home Monitoring again in the future.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

This is unacceptable. If you add a new device you need to unlink and relink to google to update the list of devices. This basically means we will be unable to add or remove devices moving forward. This is a step backwards. Bells system supports both Google assistant and Alexa

kimmal
I plan to stick around

Not trying to stir the pot or anything, I'm just trying to understand as I recently got SMH (say 3 months ago) and now I'm on the 'journey' to automating my home. 

So Rogers SMH doesn't work with Alexa and won't work with Google Home/Assistant in the near future is what I'm hearing/reading, but does that mean that a light bulb that I currently have connected to the SMH hub won't be able to be discoverable by Google Home?  Or will it still be able to be discoverable and controlled through Google Home/Assistant if I were to want Google Home/Assistant be my primary home automation hub.  

Basically I got Rogers SMH for the actual monitoring part (replaced an out-dated ADT security system) and didn't really get it for the automation part of it although that was definitely a bonus.  So if a door is opened while we are away, the cops will still be called at some point.  If the system detects smoke, the fire department will still be called.

Yes existing devices will apparently work. Good luck if you have an issue because Rogers tells you to unlink it from the Google app. Then you won't be able to add it back. Also any device additions or removals won't be possible. This is a joke considering they gave out Google home devices saying they worked with SHM.

Not true, Rogers is dropping Google Assistant/Home support mid January 2020. The smart home just got dumber!!! Seems like Rogers is going back in time to the 90's.

Who made this brilliant decision?

Worst part is yesterday Dec 17th, I had to readd Rogers to my Google Home, it will no longer add it. So did Rogers pull this support earlier than they had mentioned in their customer correspondence?

If you disconnect it will stop working but "should" keep working if you don't disconnect it.

I saw this same notification with earlier dates stating December. Bet they followed that timeline instead of waiting till January.

I will not be disconnecting now as everything still works but I have plans for additional devices and I will be looking into options aside from Rogers.

I'm also pretty angry because all of the devices I've purchased work only with Rogers. Can I have a $1000 refund Rogers?? Also since I have smart switches will you pay an electrician to change them to devices that will work with a different system??

Google home is Dumb it listens in everything.Alexa mic can be muted. Kudos Rogers for dropping google but at least go to amazon for smart home

That's not true... Seems you have no experience with a google home. They all have mute switches on the back of them. 😉

Russ5
I've been here awhile

Did Rogers break comparability with SMH and Google Assistant? I kept having issues with lights suddenly inaccessible by Google. I unpaired and tries to repair to see if that fixed it. No luck repairing, and now I see i may not be able to? Is there a Work around?

Hello @Russ5 and welcome to the Community!

As of January 14th, 2020, Google Assistant is no longer compatible with Smart Home Monitoring systems. We’ll keep you posted if Google Assistant becomes compatible with SHM systems again in the future!

Please check out the FAQs for Google Assistant Discontinuation on Smart Home Monitoring by following the hyperlink.

RogersZia

CoolHandLuke
I plan to stick around
This is old post. Google Support has been dropped by Rogers this year.

I had my system linked with google assistant. Was willing to manage with not being able to add new devices but somehow some back-end server issue caused my devices to be unlinked so no longer responding to google. Even though I didn't do anything on my end to unlink the features i use most on the system are no longer available. My system is now very DUMB!  The alternative smart home app is very primitive.  The least Rogers can do is add some voice support if you are not going to allow google assistant. Another annoying piece, if you have more than one bulb on a light fixture, there is no option to control them as a group, you have to control individually.  Its like ROgers actively decided to remove the most convenient features from the so called smart home. Not a happy customer!!!

kimmal
I plan to stick around

Rehashing this, since the Alexa question seems to have gotten over shadowed by the drop in google support.  Totally get it, Rogers SMH and Google Assistant are not compatible, but what about an amazon device, Echo+Alexa.

Hello, @kimmal

We appreciate you posting your question regarding Alexa support on the SHM platform.

I can understand how convenient it would be to be able to control your system using Alexa. Regrettably, this functionality is not available at this time. If this changes at any point we will ensure the community is updated.

I know this may not be the answer you were hoping to hear. 😞

RogersTony

Hi when r u giving the update to use Google or Alexa it's been 3 years now since you removed the accesd

Hello, @gskasana

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

We appreciate you posting your concern to the community. Unfortunately, we do not have an update on whether or not the Google Assistant or Alexa will be supported by the Smart Home Monitoring system.

Once we do have an update we will ensure the community is notified.

RogersTony

Topic Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 13 in conversation