cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unauthorized Credit Inquiries from Rogers

Mmonette
I've been here awhile

Hello, I've been a Rogers customer for many years and decided to try posting here to get help after spending a lot of time calling various rogers numbers for help.

On Friday, January 24th I received an email from TransUnion that there were new changes to my credit report. I am signed up with TransUnion trough ScotiBanks credit report service, but this was the first time I had received this kind of email and at first thought it was just spam. I went and checkout the CreditView page on my ScotiaBank account and there were 2 new alerts for Credit Inquiry for January 23rd. I called Rogers on the 24th, I have both a small business account and a personal one. The Business rep I talk too wasn't much help, he just said that he didn't see anything on my account. The personal account rep also didn't find anything weird on my account, she said I should talk with the fraud department and transferred me over. The fraud department number went to a voicemail and I left them a message, they never called me back.

After spending all that time with rogers I decided to call TransUnion and see if they could help. The person I talk to did confirm the new credit inquiries and put a fraud alert on my account, they recommended that I call Equifax and do the same which I did.

I was hoping that would be the end of this, but on the 25th I had 2 new credit inquiries from Rogers and this morning I received 2 more alerts for changes to my credit report. When I check these new alerts were dated the 27th, The first one is listed as a NewTrade and the second one New Phone Number with the number listed.

I called Rogers again this morning and was given the phone number for the Fraud Department, it again went to voicemail. I left them a detailed message and now waiting to see if they will get back to me.

Has anyone else had this same problem?

**Labels Added**

44 REPLIES 44

Re: Unauthorized Credit Inquiries from Rogers

gage345
I've been here awhile

Hello so i am a New Rogers Customer with one Wireless "Line" Opened.  When i Signed up I was notified of a Soft Credit check. Which I Agreed too.  But Rogers did Both a Soft check and a Hard Check. Well this is only my second Hard Check this year, it has brought my score down 30 points because before this my score was just going up from being not so good. So I was not planning to do any Hard Checks for the rest of the year. E.G Car Loan, Mortgage, etc. 

Well the first time i brought this up to a customer representative they stated "We only do Soft Checks". So i said okay, let me get more information pertaining to this so i got my Long formed Credit Report. Next thing i see is 1 Soft Check, and one Hard Check. I was not notified a Hard Check was mandated, and i didn't agree to a Hard Check. 

I am Looking for information and a resolution to this problem that has set me back 6 months of grinding debts away to get my credit good, and i was not told and i did not agree to a Hard Check.  Yes i know a Hard Check usually takes away 5ish points only. But my Credit hasnt been good for years. This is my first year where my Credit has finally been in good standing and actually climbed upwards. And then rogers pull this without my consent. 

I am more than willing to drop my services if we can rewind the last 2 months since i started up. 

So the next time i talk to a representative it takes an hour before it becomes escalated. So now im in waiting 3 business days to hear from Rogers who is probably just going to say. "Sorry we cant do anything"  

Should i report fraud with Transunion?

should i contact some type of Credit lawyer? (more than happy to pay a few hundred to get this looked at professionally)

or should i cut my losses Drop my one cell phone line(pay everything off) and forget rogers every existed and just take the credit hit?

Just need help in a Credit Hostage situation. Any help or direction would be welcomed while i wait for a business representative to get back to me. 

gage345
I've been here awhile

All This information is directly from a Full Credit Report given by Transunion that signifies the hard and soft checks.

Hard Check:  Which i did not agree too!

Credit Related Inquires: Aug 31, 2020 Rogers communication canada inc  // Telephonenumber of rogers

Soft Check: Which i did agree too!!

Non-Credit Related inquires: Aug 31. 2020  Rogers Communication Canada Inc // Telephonenumber of rogers

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{  If i knew of a hard check i would not have signed up with Rogers services since Bell Canada, Freedom, Virgin Mobile have never in my recent credit history done a hard check.  }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}  <--- this is the key point is this.

If i could just grab the Voice recording from when i explicitly asked "There arent any hard checks right?"  And the representative said no "Just soft Checks"  Because at this point that is where the evidence is and it would be nice to get before it gets "Disappeared" 

Hello, @gage345

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

I know how important it is to have a good credit rating so I can understand how disappointing it was to see your score negatively impacted by a credit check.

We have received your private message and we have replied and await your response.

We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

RogersTony

RFrame
I've been here awhile
I also just received an alert from Trans Union of a hard inquiry into my credit from Rogers which I did not authorize. I have filed a dispute with Trans Union. These hard inquiries have a negative affect on credit ratings. I want this removed immediately.

Hello @RFrame,

Thanks for joining us in the community and sharing your experience. Congrats on this being your first post. 🙂

I understand why you would be concerned. Like you, I take my credit rating very seriously. As a practice, Rogers should only be processing a hard check on a customers credit after receiving their permission to do so. Can you please tell me, did you recently process any changes or transactions on your account that may have caused this to happen, inadvertently? 

If you are unsure or would like us to have a closer look into this for you, please send us a Private Message to get started. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please check out our blog.

Thank you,

RogersLaura

valeryvdr
I've been around

This just happened to me on Dec 8, 2020:

Inquiries

These inquiries are made by companies with whom you have applied for a loan or credit in the past six years. These inquiries can impact your credit rating. A request for your credit history is called an inquiry. Inquiries remain on your credit report for six years and a minimum of six (6) credit inquiries will be maintained on your credit file. There are two types of inquiries. Hard inquiries may impact your credit score. Soft inquiries do not.

ROGERS COMMUNICATIONS CA
2020-08-12

I did not apply for any credit nor asked to open an account with Rogers. 

Judging by the length of this thread this is a widespread issue. How come Rogers goes around and makes hard credit inquiries affecting people credit scores without authorization???

RFrame
I've been here awhile

I was able to resolve this very same issue that happened to me as well.  First I filed a dispute with my credit score company Trans Union.  Then I started calling Rogers.  It took some time and a few phone calls, however I was able to get them to write a letter to TransUnion asking them to remove the hard inquiry. 

The fact is that you as a consumer are supposed to be informed when a hard inquiry is going to made on your credit.  If you did not authorize this, then fight it.

Vani2
I've been around

Hello, I received a call from the ambassador team yesterday and decided to move my phone lines back to Rogers. I very clearly asked if this would involve a credit check and was told that it would not, that there would only be an internal check on my existing account with Rogers and in my history with Rogers companies such as Fido and Chatr. I clarified this three times with the rep I spoke to and was assured there would be no actual check. I have received an alert from Trans union today that there was an inquiry from Rogers on my account yesterday. I am extremely upset and know that I very clearly only have authorization for an ‘internal’ check. How do I make a complaint.

Thanks

Greetings @Vani2,

Thank you for becoming a member of the Rogers community and congrats on your first post. Hopefully, you've been keeping safe and well. 🙂

I completely understand your reason for being upset and would like to have a closer look into this for you to see what went wrong. As per my understanding, if we are activating a new wireless account or service under an existing customer profile where wireless services once existed, we shouldn't be processing an external credit check, only internal. 

If possible, please send us a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please check out our blog.

Much appreciated,

RogersLaura

JW127
I've been around
I was informed of a credit inquiry pulled by ROGERS COMMUNICATIONS CA on Dec.11, 2020 on my TransUnion, which has had a negative impact on my credit score. I never authorized this credit check in any way. I do not have an active account or service with Rogers, nor did I try to set up a new account or service from Rogers.

Good evening @JW127,

Welcome to the Community!

I realize how concerning an unauthorized credit check can be. I see you've reached out to us via private message. I hope your inquiry was addressed in an efficient manner :).

RogersZia

TrinaandJuan
I've been here awhile
Hello,
I contacted rogers yesterday to set up new internet service. Today i have an unauthorized credit inquiry on my credit report from rogers. I was never asked if that could happen and I believe you need permission to pull a report. I would like an explaination.

RFrame
I've been here awhile

As I understand it, whenever a person opens a new account or service with Rogers they do an inquiry on your credit.  If it's a soft inquiry it won't affect your credit rating.  If it's a hard inquiry it will.  If they are going to do a hard inquiry, they are supposed to tell you ahead of time.  In my case, they did a hard inquiry without informing me.  I filed a dispute with my credit company and the inquiry was reversed and points restored.  I hope that helps!

TrinaandJuan
I've been here awhile
Thank you! I just got off the phone with a manager at rogers and they are going to listen to my call and then reverse the inquiry.
I will be contacting equifax and transunion if this doesn't happen as they say.

Sideshowjenna
I've been around
I just opened up a new account, and my credit was hard checked twice within three days, which is going to bring my score down, why was this done?

Good evening @Sideshowjenna,

Welcome to the Community!

I know how important it is to maintain a credit rating. As a practice, at Rogers we only process a hard check once we have obtained a customer's permission. I see you've mentioned you have a new account, do you know if there were multiple orders done over a number of days? Were you on the phone when the two checks were completed?

Looking forward to hearing from you, we'd love to get to you a swift resolution.

RogersZia

I have the same issue with 22 score points reduced on my credit score because of Rogers inquiry that I signed up as a new member to get internet service.

It is unbelievable that I haven't asked for this type of credit history check. This reduction on my credit score impacts me a lot because I am in the process of getting a pre-approved mortgage and I still don't believe how it could happen! Is it really worth it to check the history of a new potential customer without his/her acknowledgement?!

I don't know how I can resolve this issue but I certainly am not happy with this situation.

gt1844
I've been around
I logged into my Rogers tonight and repeatedly was getting a pop up that my credit check was unsuccessful and I need to call to proceed
I was looking at different plan but was not trying to purchase anything
I’ve been a Rogers customer in good standing for almost 20 years
Why are you pulling my credit and lowering my credit score for no reason?

AnastasiaVP
I've been around

Who can I contact to get this resolved? I never had any changes done in May 2021 but my credit report shows that ROGERS COMMUNICATIONS CA did an inquiry on my name. 

This is unacceptable as first of all I never authorized this and second of all, I did not sign up for any services at that time. 

Hello, @AnastasiaVP.

Thank you for posting your concern, and welcome to Rogers Community Forums! 

Without your authorization, a credit evaluation should not be performed; by any chance, did you try acquiring other products/services from Fido or Rogers Bank, etc.? 

If you have not reached out to us on any other support platform, please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps. Need a hand? Check out our helpful blog on how to send us a private message. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I have a rogers account which has been in my mothers name since I was 15. I am now 32 ( I know I should have done this long ago but it has never been any issue and wouldn't have been until now). I have a corporate plan offer at work which would provide me the Iphone 14 Pro Max with 20 gigs of data for 77.00 per month. I pay 55 per month right now and get 8 gigs of data, my device is paid off (12 pro max). I wanted to take advantage of this offer and was considered "ineligible" as I did not have the phone in my name I am just the level 1 authorized user. I was told I needed to contact Rogers and request a TOR for this account, in order to keep my phone number. I was happy to do so, we called together (my mother and I) and she gave the permission to move ahead. I was told after they did a credit check on me that I was "declined for service due to me extremely low credit score". It was now 2 hours on the phone and 3 phone calls to get to this point and credit ops was closed. I most certainly do not have an extremely low credit score (879). I had been put on hold while she looked into this and 55 mins later the line went busy and hung up. No call back, I had to call again and finally got someone, they repeated this process and assured me they would only pull my credit once. Came back and said "declined for service due to an outstanding account balance on a written off debt" Apparently I owe them nearly 5000 dollars from an account back in 2009 that is not mine. Is there something that can be done? I have asked them to sort it out but do not have high hopes... I still have not had my phone put into my name and should have absolutely no problem doing so at any phone company.... I have a perfect credit history and even the account history of 10 plus years is never seen one late payment. SO FRUSTRATING! Any help would be appreciated! 

Topic Stats