cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam Messages

jay21317
I plan to stick around

To start with I have been getting almost daily emails and text messages from rogers about there new streaming service, Anyone know what I have to do to stop these, I have asked rogers repeatedly to stop spamming me. ON a slightly related note, every time I get a voicemail I also get a text message at the same time, saying I have one. So, if my sister calls me, and leaves a voice mail, as soon as the phone registers the voicemail, I get a text message saying I have one from her and its in her messaging thread, acting like she is telling me, its also telling me the message is urgent every single time, and no its not that person texting me, because it does it for home phones too. anyone know how to turn these text messages off as well,

48 REPLIES 48

Re: Spam Messages

JanineZolorycki
I've been here awhile

Alright thanks 🙂

@JanineZolorycki wrote:

Hi i just got a text from this number

1 (418)-482-6016
Heres what the text said

Rogers Rewards: We celebrate our 31th year of anniversary, we offering 61.75$ to all our value clients. To accept your bonus:

Link removed for security reasons - RogersMoin

Thank you for being a loyal Rogers Wireless Customer !

I want to know if i can trust it or if its a scam from some random person

Spam for sure, judging by the "$" symbol being placed after the amount, unless it's French. 

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Re: How Rogers handles spam texts

dpotages
I've been around

Reporting phishing attempt

Hey hey,

I'm quite new to Canada and was therefore wondering if you were reporting SMS-based phishing attempts here?

In my previous country, I had a simple form to fill on my mobile carrier webpage, and they were doing analysis + reporting to the authorities.

In any case, just got one, pretty decently made for those not used to this kind of fraud.

Edit: this was for a phishing for the rogers website

Cheers,

/d

Re: How Rogers handles spam texts

Hi @dpotages,

Welcome to the Community Forums!

Thanks for your post.  Spam text messages are getting harder and harder to spot these days it seems, but I'm glad you know one when you see one!

Our general info for spam and scams can be found here.

What should I do if I’ve received a suspicious text message from Rogers?

Do NOT respond to the text message, provide personal information to the sender, or click on any links or attachments included in the message. Instead, make sure you collect the following information:

• The number that sent the text message
    • The contents of the text message

Once you have this information, report the incident to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre:

If you provided your PIN/password in response to a suspicious text message, or if you don’t have a PIN/password set up on your Rogers account, change or create your PIN/password as soon as possible.

I hope this helps!

Have a great one,

RogersShaun

airdave
I've been around

reporting a fraudulent text?

Just received a text message that is fake.

My account is up to date and there are no outstanding balances (debits or refunds).

Obviously I did not reply to it.

Should I be sending this text message somewhere?... reporting it to someone?

Details:

Rogers Alert: We mistakenly overcharged your account due to a system error.
A refund of $119.82 has beens(sic) sent to you.

Deposit funds: http://rogers.com-et-transfer.com

Call Details:

+12898291478
08/06/2017
07:50pm

I received a text today from (819) 432-0838 - stating, 'E-transfer: A refunf of 50$ has been sent to you by Rogers for overcharging your account. Please collect your refund by following this link:' followed by a link to collect-your-funds.ca with a blurry Interac e-Transfer photo. Please be aware that this is a scam and is not how Rogers contacts their customers regarding payments/charges. 

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

A scam for sure. Don't respond to illiterate texts. Educated people don't put the $ sign after the amount except in French.

Audreykc1970
I've been here awhile

If you get a text from this number... +1 (819) 432-0838 do not click on link as it is a scam...it says Rogers has overcharged you and wants to give you a $50 refund...no thanks scammers Rogers will just credit my account!

I received the same text but deleted it because I knew it was fake...reported it also

FRAUD TXT MSG CLAIMING YOU GET A REFUND FOR ROGERS SERVICES OUTAGE!!!

Hey ... check this out!

Someone is trying to impersonate you ("ROGERS") and scam us ("The Customer)

The following came via

Dear Rogers costumers, due to service interruptions, you get refunded. Please follow the link to claim your money: Link removed for security reasons - RogersShaun

This came from phone number:

+1 (289) 980-8104

Date: Tues. July 11th 2017
Time: 10:54pm

Don't fall for this! He/She will have your banking # and Pswd should you try and claim (the supposed 75 bucks) refund!

Watch out !!!

dshank2
I've been here awhile

Is anyone here been scamed by the #2030 number? GOOGLE THIS. If you do its a scam that rogers and other networks are allowing a $4.99 charge on your bill. Do not pay! This is a scam and if anything rogers and the other networks are part of it. DO NOT PAY, CALL YOUR PROVIDER AND COMPLAIN AND HAVE THE COST REFUNDED.

Good afternoon @dshank2,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for bringing this to our users' attention Robot Happy!

Spam messages are surely very annoying.  Here's an example of a #2030 spam:  If a customer is trying to call a legitimate 1-888 / 866 / 800 number, and accidentally presses one wrong digit or inverts digits (i.e. dialing 3463 instead of 3436), the customer is welcomed with an automated message saying the number has been changed to #2030.  If the customer ends up  calling the #2030 number, the charges are generated for the call at a premium rate.

As a general rule it's always a good idea not to respond to or call back unknown numbers unless the caller has left you a personalized message.  Also, goes without saying never to  give out any financial information such as credit card numbers.

I always encourage customers to report scams and fraudulent activities to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre.

RogersZia

SCAM text from 1 289 889-1915

Putting this info out there.  Received a text today (25 Oct 2017) from number mentioned above it states as follows:  "INTERAC e-transfer ROGERS Wireless overcharge has sent you funds 60.45$ CAD (amount may vary)"  then this link (http// - removed link for security reasons -RogersMoin)  Data rates may apply"  Sorry to shout THIS IS A SCAM.  Hopefully any aging or naive person out there sees this.  DO NOT open this link, it is a scam.  Confirmed with Rogers today, this is a scam.  Rogers would never send funds owing ever in this manner.  DO NOT open that link.  

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@cooksr001 wrote:
"INTERAC e-transfer ROGERS Wireless overcharge has sent you funds 60.45$ CAD (amount may vary)" 

You can be sure that any message that puts the $ sign after the amount (unless it's in French) is a scam. Illiteracy is a dead give-away.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

Today I received a spam text like this:

2017-11-24-14-54-49-1.jpg

If you follow the link it will give you a bunch of banks where to "deposit" your "refund" and when you click a bank you get a page saying the login page has changed an you should enter your account and password. Obviously a phishing scam.

I got a txt saying Rogers wants to e-transfer money into my bank account. Leads you to Rogers-inc.ca the bank login page is a local copy of your banks login screen. They are trying to get login passwd info of your bank. Rogers needs to shut these guys down.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Dooveman : Please use the following link to report spam:

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/spam-control

Rogers will then do what they can, but Rogers is not usually the one who "shuts them down".

Carla01
I've been around

I got a text message saying that Rogers sent me funds. This is the phone number +13062619743
Rogers sent you funds Visit:Rogerswlreless.com

Hello @Carla01,

Welcome to the Rogers Community!

You're doing the right thing by being vigilant of this type of message.

We appreciate you took the time to bring this up to our attention as we take this matter very seriously.

As part of our effort to protect you from SMS spam, we use scanning software to constantly hunt for, identify, and filter out unwanted messages before they get to your phone or device.

Don’t click on any links (URLs) in the message as it may expose your device to malicious web pages or cause apps containing viruses/malware to be installed on your device.

Report the suspicious message for investigation by forwarding it via text message (SMS) to 7726 (SPAM).  It helps us identify new types of spam messages and improve our filters for all users.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

Walid123
I've been around

Hi,

I received an SMS message, and the text says:

MyphoneNo has been billed $87.32 CAD BY FAULT. REVERSE THIS ISSUE BELOW.

http://...

looks like a scam, right?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Walid123 wrote:

looks like a scam, right?

Correct.

Topic Stats