cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocked phones for Rogers prepaid

impala
I plan to stick around

Hi everyone,

I have a Rogers prepaid plan and an older hand-me-down HTC phone. I'd like to buy a new unlocked phone from Best Buy because I got some gift cards for Xmas. Are there any limitations related to a prepaid account that I should be aware of when looking at phones? 

One phone I'm considering is ASUS ZenFone Live L1, but some reviews talk about a "lock up" problem that seems to be tied to specific carriers. Does anyone know if this phone would work all right with Rogers Pay-As-You-Go?

Thanks very much.

*** Added Labels ***

22 REPLIES 22

Re: Unlocked phones for Rogers prepaid

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Thanks 57. Just one more thing to mention. I was not only a Certified Mobile Repair Technician, I was also the Head Manager of the Handset Repair Facility.

Rogers does not use the SIM card Punch Out tool, if you saw any location that used it, then they are doing it at their own risk and should not be doing it, or they are a Third Party Authorized Retailer, and are doing so at their own will and Rogers policy can not prevent them from doing such.

The one reason that its not recommended to even use a SIM Card Punch tool, is that the the NanoSIM is also by 0.08 mm thinner than the MicroSIM, so your sim card Tray or Slot on the new phone is expecting a Nano sim with a certain thickness but your putting a sim card with thicker dimensions in it, this could cause damage to the SIM Tray or reader, and can even cause intermittent signal issues or connection issues.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/do-cut-your-sim-card-already-had-get-new-one-dejan-radosavljevik/

Re: Unlocked phones for Rogers prepaid

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thanks for the link. I read the article, and I also read all the comments. Makes for some interesting reading.  If you want to be safe, get a new SIM.  I did go to a Rogers store, but it might be "third party."  My phone is fine.

Topic Stats
  • 22 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 5 in conversation