Text messages from Facebook

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Text messages from Facebook

I have the basic $100/year PayGo account and only use my phone for emergencies and whenever I leave the house. The rest of the time it's usually turned off.

I'm very active on Facebook. A couple of days ago the top of my Facebook page started displaying a message to add my phone number (I presume cellphone) to my account for security purposes. I Googled this to ensure it wasn't just an invitation to receive telemarketing calls and texts and learned it was indeed for my security in case my account got hacked so I could more easily get control back. The procedure sent me a text with a code number, which I entered on Facebook to confirm.

So, today I turned on my cellphone for the first time in a few days and sudenly was receiving a whole slew of SMS texts at 30 cents a crack containing comments made to my posts on Facebook. What's going on here? Has anybody else seen this? At this rate my PayGo balance will get quickly depleted. I'll have to dig around on Facebook to see if I can change it. Another alternative would be renewing my PayGo with the $100 Unlimited Texting plan, but that's a promotion and probably not perpetually renewable and I'd still have my phone filling up with junk messages.

***Edited Labels***

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Solved! Go to Solution.
Retired Moderator RogersHassam
Retired Moderator

Re: Text messages from Facebook

Hello @OLDYELLR,

Please see the following: 

To manage what email and text notifications Facebook sends to you, go to your notifications settings:

1. Click at the top right of any Facebook page and then choose Settings.
  2. Click Notifications in the left column and then click Email. Choose what kind of activity you want to be notified about by email. You can also unsubscribe from email notifications directly from the email itself.
  3. Click Text Message and then click Edit to turn text notifications on or off. You can also choose which activities you want to be notified about by text and when or how often you receive texts.

You can also click here to see this information on Facebook. Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Thanks,

RogersHassam 

I'm a Senior Advisor

Thanks @RogersHassam that's the first place I checked, and indeed, by default Facebook is set to send me all comments as texts, which is ridiculous.  I changed it to Never.

texts.jpg

I'm a Senior Advisor

It looks like I received $4.80 worth of texts before changing security permissions took effect, just one of them a spam text.

Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

Oh fun. Smiley Indifferent
I have alerts for my Facebook log in.
Since my security settings is tweaked so if anyone logs in from anywhere. I get a text and I can block that connection immediately... I prefer the text to be active. o__o"
I'm a Senior Advisor

It's unfortunate that Facebook does not have an option to receive security alert texts only. Even if I switched to an unlimited free texts plan, being quite active on Facebook, I would not want to be wading through all those messages on my phone just to see if there was an alert because I already get them in my email, which is easier to manage.

Rogers Employee

o__O there is security only text.

Hold on... let me check my facebook settings..

*Checks*

Aha, okay so Security SMS is on. but my Notification and SMS settings are off.
I only get SMS for security and loggins, but all my notification are going to my emails.

o__o"

FacebookSMS.jpg

I'm a Senior Advisor

Your posted graphic is still a triangle and I didn't see an item called Checks, but I think I've fixed itin Notifications. There's a lot of stuff  in the settings most people probably never look at.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Well, after turning off text messages in Facebook, I still got a few more. If I get one more text from Facebook I'm removing my cell number and be done with it. This is worse than telemarketer spam texts when I have to pay for them. I talked to several of my friends and none of them gave Facebook their cell number and thought I was a sucker for doing so.

Rogers Employee

I held off giving my number to Facebook for 3 years.... then I gave in, because I want to be notified if someone (including myself) logg in.
You also want to remove all your browers from security screen, that way every browser that loggs in. will be alerted.
Turn off notification for SMS. you just don't need it.
What's New
UFC 231: Holloway vs. Ortega Live
LIVE: Saturday December 8, 2018 10PM ET
Countdown: 9:30 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $64.99 (HD) | $59.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $64.99
Ignite TV customers can order now!
DTV Customers can order as of Dec 6 at 4pm ET.
UFC 231: Countdown Promo

UFC returns to Toronto on December 8th with a championship double-header as undisputed featherweight champion Max Holloway defends his title against unbeaten Brian Ortega. Also, a new UFC women's flyweight champion will be crowned when Valentina Shevchenko takes on former strawweight queen Joanna Jedrzejczyk for the vacant title. Saturday, December 8, live on Sportsnet Pay-Per-View from Scotiabank Arena in Toronto, Canada.

Topic Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 8 in conversation