cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a new phone for pay as you go plan

arts2005
I've been here awhile

Hi all,

I want to purchase a new phone to replace my old cellphone, I am currently using the pay as you go/$12 dollars monthly prepaid plan, I went to 2 Rogers stores already in my city and both times was told if I want to buy a new phone I have to switch to a monthly plan, which I don't want to,  I can't just buy a new phone from somewhere else to swap my SIM card myself since my SIM card is one of those old SIM cards which it won't fit the new cellphones, so I will need Rogers to transfer my information to a new SIM card.

Anyways not sure what the big deal is it's not like I am asking them to give me a phone for free, told both stores I am going to buy it they won't even sell a phone to me.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

**Added Label**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buying a new phone for pay as you go plan

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You should be able to purchase a phone anywhere and have a new SIM put into it at a Rogers store.  I'm not sure why you're having difficulty. Some stores are franchised and owners may not like doing certain things.  They may charge you $10 for a new SIM.  When I swapped out a phone on my PAYGo account a couple of years ago, I also had an old (10 years old) SIM, that they "cut" using a SIM Card Cutter (Google it) to make the SIM fit my new Phone.

Some people have suggested that cutting a SIM is not appropriate procedure, but it worked for me. If not, you should be able to purchase a new SIM for about $10.  I suggest you call ahead to various locations.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You should be able to purchase a phone anywhere and have a new SIM put into it at a Rogers store.  I'm not sure why you're having difficulty. Some stores are franchised and owners may not like doing certain things.  They may charge you $10 for a new SIM.  When I swapped out a phone on my PAYGo account a couple of years ago, I also had an old (10 years old) SIM, that they "cut" using a SIM Card Cutter (Google it) to make the SIM fit my new Phone.

Some people have suggested that cutting a SIM is not appropriate procedure, but it worked for me. If not, you should be able to purchase a new SIM for about $10.  I suggest you call ahead to various locations.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

I never heard of having to upgrade your plan if you buy a new phone. And you most certainly don't have to buy the phone from Rogers. If your Rogers SIM card won't fit the new phone, ask Rogers for a new one that does. There are many reasons for a new phone, like a newer OS because there are no apps available for your old OS, more RAM, better graphics, more speed, etc. Your phone will still work like the old one. But if you want to Facebook and browse the internet all day, you should switch to one of the big bucks postpaid plans.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Bplayer
I'm a trusted contributor

I just replaced my phone this week. Popped the nano-SIM out of the old phone and put it in the new phone. No issues. The phone that I had before that used a large SIM. I went to a Rogers store where they cancelled that old SIM and replaced it with a nano-SIM, same phone number and PayGo plan. I cannot remember if there was a charge but it would not have been much.

The stores that you went to are trying to drum up some business. Hold your ground.

arts2005
I've been here awhile

Thanks everyone for your replies, I am going to call them first before I go, hopefully there is at least one store that will let me buy a phone.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm not sure if Rogers will let you purchase a new phone from them for PAYGo, unless you choose their PAYGo phone.  This is where the confusion may have started.  You may have wanted to purchase a different phone model.  See link below:

https://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=WRLS_PREPAID_LANDING&icid=R_WIR_JOR_3...

The link states that you can bring your own device, so you may need to purchase your phone from elsewhere and then insert the Rogers SIM.  You can order the SIM - link below, or get one at a Rogers store:

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/wireless/rogers-sim-card

arts2005
I've been here awhile

I see, maybe that's why they won't sell phones to me, I just went to 3 different Rogers stores the same answers I got from before.

Now my question is,  if I purchase a new SIM card, how do I transfer my information from my old SIM card to the new SIM card?

Bplayer
I'm a trusted contributor

There are lots of ways to buy an unlocked phone. Trust you have found a suitable place.

If you are sure that your SIM card has data on it (contacts, text messages, etc.) then there are a few options:

1. Check if is a micro-SIM card with the tracing to convert it to a nano-SIM

2. Cut the micro-SIM down to size (search the web for instructions on how to convert micro to nano)

No need to purchase a new SIM with either of the above.

If #1 or #2 are not options for you then search the web for instructions on SIM card data recovery. Download the app to a PC, attache the SIM card to the PC and perform the extraction.

When complete take your SIM card to a Rogers store and request an exchange for a non-SIM using the same telephone number.

scinicm
I plan to stick around

Why would you even think of choosing rogers for prepaid its the absolute worst provider ridiculous plans , Do yourself a favor shop around you will find much much better . not gonna name names but can tell u ur at the wrong place

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 5 in conversation