cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite TV App - Not Connected to the Internet error

svlacic
I plan to stick around

Ignate TV App Android doesn't work when connected on my home WiFi. I have Orbi mesh network. Orbi is connected to Rogers modem where WiFi is disabled. Rogers boxes are connected to my WiFi and they work without issues. App on my phone is saying that I am not connected to internet. Everything else on the phone works. Does the ignite tv app need any specific protocol, port... Thanks.

*Added Labels*

62 REPLIES 62

Re: Ignite TV App - Not Connected to the Internet error

Hello again, @alijaffer

It sounds like the issue is specific to your Wi-Fi connection.

We'd like to run some tests on your equipment and see if we can determine if there is an issue with the settings that are causing the Apps to display this error message only when connected to Wi-Fi.

Please send a Private Message to @CommunityHelps so we can gather your info and get started on this for you. If you are not familiar with our Private Messaging system please Click Here.

RogersTony

alijaffer
I plan to stick around
I was just able to figure out the issue.

I ran ipconfig on the computer hardwired to both the rogers modem and my personal router. When doing this I noticed the DNS servers do not show up for my router.

Even though it should be inherited, I tried hard coding the rogers modem's DNS entries on my router and reset the router.

I am now able to access the ignite app on both my Pixel 3 and iPhone X.

Hope this helps others with a second router.

Thanks,

Ali

Thanks for updating the Community @alijaffer! We appreciate it!

Hopefully, this advice will be of help to other users. 🙂

Regards,

RogersCorey

sbinnie
I've been around
This is ridiculous! Everyone is saying the same thing and Rogers keeps trying to say it's something we're doing. Mine used to work and just stopped. Tried everything they've suggested. Works on my android tablet but not on S9, A8, S5. I've had 2 tickets opened and then I get a text saying "Thanks for reporting a problem with your Ignite TV. We have been unable to identify an issue at this time. If you're still having an issue, please contact us (www.support.rogers.com) and quote case number _____." Come on Rogers, stop blaming us and figure this out!

Hey @sbinnie,

Welcome to the Community. Where the issue seems to have popped up out of nowhere and was working before, I can understand your frustration. We can certainly give you a hand in hunting down what the issue is.

We'll need more information on how your Ignite TV is set up, do you have your own Router in use? If so, have you tried what @jaffer suggested earlier in this thread, found here?

Regards,

RogersTim

Drfe99
I plan to stick around

Has anyone solved this issue. My problem started around the same time as everyone else. I have an iPhone 8 and XPlus, 2 iPads and a Samsung 9 that stopped working like everyone else. I receive the same message and have opened 3 tickets with Rogers, spent at least 3 hours chatting with the technicians to get fixed. They finally suggested I go to the Rogers store to see if they can help me. I will try but am struggling to understand how the technicians cant help but a sales person will.  

The interesting revelation from yesterdays chat is that the Ignite app does not show up under "location services", don't know if this is the issue but the techs believe it is. 

The My Rogers  and Rogers Wifi apps work and this is the only one that seems to have an issue. Rogers should get serious about resolving this issue as there seems to be a number of people reporting it and who knows how many that don't and just believe it is bad service by Rogers. 

Hello, @Drfe99.

In the post 44 above, @alijafer was able to resolve the issue by adding back Rogers DNS.

To better understand the problem, please answer the following:

• Have you changed DNS servers or are you using your own router?
  • Are you able to access the app on the same devices when connected to a different WiFi network or Cellular data connection?
  • On your home network, are you able to access the Ignite TV app on the web at https://www.rogers.com/web/ignitetv/signin?

We look forward to seeing the resolution at the earliest. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Drfe99
I plan to stick around

Hi RogersMoin,

I did not understand the DNS issue was applicable in this situation. However after further debugging in this case it believe it may be the issue. I turned off the wifi on my Apple and Sumsung phones and the Apps work. It leads me to believe it is the Wifi network in the house. What's really strange is Ignite service works on my laptop which is connected to the wifi. 

Here is my network config: I have a Rogers Ignite Modem (Wifi off), connected to my Linksys EA9500 router (wifi on). The Linksys has better wifi signal than the Ignite modem so I use it. I'm not very strong on networking so how do I check my DNS and how do I determine if the DNS is not being inherited by the Linksys router. I would love to solve this problem quickly.

Thanks Drfe99 

@Drfe99 on a Windows desktop or laptop, bring up a command prompt and type in:  ipconfig/all

That will show the IP address for the device and the DNS servers that are being used.  If the modem is running in Gateway mode and the router is running in Access Point mode, then the DNS servers should probably be as follows:

Rogers IPV4 DNS:

Rogers IPV6 DNS:

Primary IPv6 DNS:

2607:f798:18:10:0:640:7125:5204

Secondary IPv6 DNS:

2607:f798:18:10:0:640:7125:5198

When you look at the Preferred IP address for the device, it will either be an IPV4 or IPV6 address.  If its an IPV4 address, then your modem, and/or router should be set to run IPV4 only.  If the Preferred IP Address is an IPV6, address, then anything else connected to the router has access to IPV6.  The DNS addresses should also turn up in the order as determined by the presence of an IPV4 or IPV6 preferred address.  

Now, if the DNS addresses are not a recognizable Rogers address, then the question is, what is the modem providing, what is the router providing, and what if anything is set in the device adapter settings for the IPV4 DNS address.  So, there are three items or areas to check.  If the DNS entry windows are empty in those devices, then the modem is using the DNS address as provided by the Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS).  If the router DNS entry windows are empty, then either the router is accepting the DNS address from the modem, or its ignoring the address and simply passing on that address to the connected devices.  I'm not sure exactly what it will do.  The end result should be the same in either case.  

Hope this helps.  Let us know what you find.  

Tiger99
I plan to stick around

Had a similar problem and seemed related to the rogers ignite wifi hub had installed recently ,had a quick look at and exited while back.   Went in and noticed said something about scan in my serial on my modem and finish setup. Once i did this my ignite app started working properly again. Something to check if applies to you.

zimmermn
I plan to stick around
I also have Orbi on my home network. Our ignite boxes are connected and TV is running fine. Ignite website, on my laptop also works. I have a Samdung Note 8 running Android. All apps are working and my phone is connected to my home LAN. Roger's Ignite App is not working. I also uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Prior to uninstalling, it said that there was an error and the guide could not be displayed at present, wait a while and try again. After reinstalling app, now the error says "Connection Error, please check your connection and try again.".

Hello, @zimmermn.

Thank you for joining this discussion; the Ignite TV not working on your device when connected to the home network could be related to DNS settings as observed in this thread. 

Are you able to access the app on the same devices when connected to a different WiFi network or Cellular data connection?

Please see the post 44 and 51 of this thread to check the DNS settings on your router and possibly resolving the issue. 

Keep the Community posted on the outcome. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

WAFH24
I've been here awhile
Come on Roger's. There is something wrong with your app. It works fine on any other wifi network but my home one and always works when on data. My home network is Rogers equipment. My phone is Galaxy S10+. I've rebooted the modem/ router. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Get to work and fix your app for home networks. I'm not a techie, but I suspect there is a conflict in the app when Rogers ignite boxes are working off the same wifi network as the app.

Hello, @WAFH24.

Welcome to Rogers Community Forums! 🙂

Thank you for joining this discussion, I appreciate your detailed post. Since you are not using other routers, it could be related to a security setting. 

Assuming your S10+ device can access the Internet and other apps when connected to your home network, please check the Protected Browsing setting on the Rogers Ignite WiFi Hub app. The setting found under the Network tab. If it is On, please toggle it off and then try accessing the Ignite TV app. 

Please keep us apprised on the outcome. 

Cheers,
RogersMoin

zimmermn
I plan to stick around
I haven't even checked that, but I can tell you, that's not the issue. Anytime there has been a power outage, Ignite, on mobile devices, stops working. It's the only thing that doesn't run. MANY people experience the same problem. The WiFi runs, the TVs run, mobile devices are connected, every other app runs. The only issue is Ignite, on mobile devices, not connecting. Have to reboot everything and try again. It's a problem with the Ignite App!

WAFH24
I've been here awhile

OK, so that worked.

However, why would I want Protected Browsing Off in this age of insecure/risky browsing? The Security tab says "Reduce the risk of accessing known sources of malware, spyware and phishing". Seems like it would be a good idea to have it on?

Pixel c tablet running android 8.1.0

Just installed the Ignite TV App, location services on, and getting connection error on first start. On wifi in my home on the Rogers network.

Hello, @russellyeung.

Welcome to Rogers Community Forums!

Thank you for installing the Ignite TV app on your tablet and posting your concern in the Community. Do you have the app working on other devices? Can you sign-in to the web portal at ignitetv.rogers.com on a desktop browser?

Please keep us posted. 

Cheers,
RogersMoin

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

@RogersMoin wrote:

Hello, @russellyeung.

Welcome to Rogers Community Forums!

Thank you for installing the Ignite TV app on your tablet and posting your concern in the Community. Do you have the app working on other devices? Can you sign-in to the web portal at ignitetv.rogers.com on a desktop browser?

Please keep us posted. 

Cheers,
RogersMoin

@RogersMoin 

Installed Ignite a week ago.

The ignite app works fine on an iPad and on Windows 10.

But the android implementation is a mess.  small wonder it is rated so low.

On a samsung tablet, it installed fine and appeared to work ONCE.  since then, I can see the main menu, and can access the "recorded" menu, for example.  but when i try to play a recorded item, it goes away for a while appearing to be trying, then comes back with "that didn't go as planned".

The "all channels" item does not ever produce the guide.  It goes away for a while and eventual comes back with an error message.

On a Motorola G5 phone, the app "installs", and shows the "get started" button.  But all that gets you, is a message "connection error... please check your connection and try again".

Full disclosure... I am operating the Rogers gateway in bridge mode, and the wifi from these devices (including the TV boxes) are connecting to the wifi on my personal router.  THERE IS NO PROBLEM with any of the 3 tvs, nor any internet problems for any of my own devices.  The two Android devices have full internet access for all other operations.

As mentioned, the iPadOS version of the app works fine, as advertised.  

But the Android version just doesn't.

Thanks so much for the additional info @ColdGranite!

I tested the app just now on my Galaxy Note 10+  (Latest Updates) as well as on my iPad Pro 10.5 (Latest Updates) and the experience for myself is pretty comparable with no failed attempts/error messages. That said though I don't have any recordings so I was unable to test that particular feature. I was able to get the guide up quickly via "all channels."

If the issue does persists for you though that's certainly something we'll need to have escalated as it's possibly limited to particular devices. I would recommend checking in with support to have a ticket escalated if you've not already. You can also reach out to us here @CommuntyHelps :).

@RogersAndy

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

My ipad 9.7 has never had a problem (iPadOS 14.2)... The iPad does not show a connect speed, but the Rogers speed test ...run from the device... gives it a 300 Mbps download rating .

The Android on a Samsung Tab S2 shows its own wifi diagnostic as "very strong, 650 Mbps"... .  The rogers speedtest at the same location as the iPad... says 100?  Nevertheless, the app today always gives "connection error".

On a Motorola G5 phone, the self diagnosed wifi strength is "excellent, 150 Mbps"  but the Rogers speed test at the device is like 70Mbps.  It also, always comes up with "connection" error.

Anybody have any idea why the speeds on the Androids should be so much slower than the iPad?

And even so, should 70 or 100 be too slow for the IGNITE TV app to work??

Bottom line is iOS works, Android does not ... in the same environment.

I am not going to spend time with Rogers over this.... the app ratings speak for themselves.

If anybody here has any suggestions, they would be appreciated.

Topic Stats