cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Certain Apps No Longer Work Via WiFi

Lonstar17
I've been here awhile

Anyone having this issue? Rogers had replaced my router but some apps don't work on WiFi but work on mobile. They worked fine like 3 weeks ago.

**Labels Added**

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Certain Apps No Longer Work Via WiFi

RogersCorey

Greetings @Lonstar17!

Which apps specifically are not working? What error do these apps show when you attempt to use them on your WiFi network?

Regards,

RogersCorey

Lonstar17
I've been here awhile
No error, pgatour is one, weather network and Twitter very slow. Wifi speed is not an issue, rogers has tested, it's very bizarre. Worked fine on rogers tech test router

Good Day @Lonstar17

Yikes! We're sorry to hear about the technical issues you've been plagued with since the equipment change. 😥 Please send us a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can take a deep dive into this for you. Not familiar with our private messaging system? No worries, click here.

Looking forward to hearing from you! 

RogersJo

kenwinges
I've been here awhile

We have been having the same issue for several weeks now. It started with Libby (library app for eBooks) and now I've noticed Crunchyroll (streaming) as well. With either one if we are connected to wifi using any of our tablets or phones these apps either won't work or take 15+ min to open books, play or download shows. They work fine on mobile data or on Fibe internet (our neighbor's). We have also tested this with other neighbors that have Rogers Ignite and they don't work there either. Legacy Rogers seems to be fine. Other apps like YouTube or Netflix work fine so far. Everything works on our desktops whether they are connected via Ethernet or wifi.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@kenwinges : 1. Libby works fine on our iPad using Wi Fi on our XB7 gateway (IgniteTV/Internet).

2. Have you deleted Libby and downloaded the latest version?

3. Are your devices on the latest OS?

4. When you say you have tested with "other neighbours" did they have Libby on their own devices, or were you using your devices?

5. Have you had a chance to try it at a business that's on Rogers like a coffee shop or restaurant?

kenwinges
I've been here awhile

I appreciate the help. This is starting to get very frustrating.

1. Perhaps it's a android and rogers issue. All of our devices are android. The neighbor's wifi we tested all use the black gateways so we haven't been able to test it on another white style XB7 gateway. If they are in fact different models.

2. Yes we have tried that. I just did it again now on one of our tablets and it wouldn't even start after it was installed. I had to turn off the wifi and then it started immediately. The application will then open with wifi turned on but books cannot be opened and the app behaves very sluggishly. That's another thing. Libby allows you to download books for offline use. However even if they are downloaded, they only open if the device is not connected to wifi. It's like it is trying to connect to the server but is getting blocked and thereby causes other issues.

3. All of our devices are fully updated. They are all different versions of android. One of the tablets is brand new with the android 13.

4. It was using our devices. None of our neighbors use Libby but even if they did they all use iPads.

5. Not yet. I'm not sure what businesses near us use Rogers ignite.

The thing that gets me the most is that if I connect any of these devices to a hotspot using my phone's data or bell fibe they work instantly with no issue. The moment I connect to ignite wifi it fails. This seems to indicate it is not the app or our devices. If it was our ignite gateway then why would it fail using other ignite wifi networks.

We have contacted Libby support but they seem to think the issue is with Rogers somehow blocking something it needs. They also had us check some things concerning Android System Webview but whether it was disabled or enabled (old vs new versions of android) made no difference.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@kenwinges : 6. I assume Libby was working fine before.

7. Did you happen to notice if the problem started after an OS or Libby update?

8. Any way you can tell when that took place?

9. I have "auto-update" on on my iPhone, but I leave it turned off on my iPad. That way if something "bad" happens with an auto-update, I can leave the old version alone on my iPad.  You may wish to search the web to see if you can "roll back" Libby, or the OS on one of your devices?

kenwinges
I've been here awhile

6. I assume Libby was working fine before.       Yes.  It seemed to start its problems around Mar 4-6, 2023

7. Did you happen to notice if the problem started after an OS or Libby update?      Did not notice updates.

8. Any way you can tell when that took place?            See #6 above

9. I have "auto-update" on on my iPhone, but I leave it turned off on my iPad. That way if something "bad" happens with an auto-update, I can leave the old version alone on my iPad. You may wish to search the web to see if you can "roll back" Libby, or the OS on one of your devices?            Will check that out.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@kenwinges wrote:

...Libby allows you to download books for offline use. However even if they are downloaded, they only open if the device is not connected to wifi.

Yes, and, unlike Overdrive, magazines too.  As you say, if you wish to read something on the device, turn WiFi off at that time.  We use this a lot when travelling, on planes, etc.  We don't have data on our cell phone.  Good Luck

Hi, I just got a new Ignite Internet Setup ( XB8 ) 2 days ago because I was told my old internet system ( CODA 4582 ) will not be supported eventually. Now an App in the phone is not working via this new wi-fi, cannot play the video clips but can open the site and can also see the wording. It's working perfectly fine under the old internet system or wi-fi. It is working fine via mobile network; say outside away from home. Phone is iphone X. It's very frustrating and is a bad experience to a customer. Would you please advise any solution to solve this issue.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@BBT-RR wrote:

Hi, I just got a new Ignite Internet Setup ( XB8 ) 2 days ago because I was told my old internet system ( CODA 4582 ) will not be supported eventually. Now an App in the phone is not working via this new wi-fi, cannot play the video clips but can open the site and can also see the wording. It's working perfectly fine under the old internet system or wi-fi. It is working fine via mobile network; say outside away from home. Phone is iphone X. It's very frustrating and is a bad experience to a customer. Would you please advise any solution to solve this issue.

Launch the Ignite HomeConnect app and check to see whether you have Advanced Security enabled.  If so, disable it, then reboot your gateway.

Topic Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 7 in conversation