cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

to pod or not to pod

hiho
I'm an enthusiast

|Tried moving one of my pc upstairs but cant connect via wireless, cant connect ,cant find my ignite modem.

from reading posts i see that i have basicly 2 options?

1. pay and extra ten dollars per month for a pod that may or may not solve my problem. Which i think should be free since the modem is not strong enough to get access to my pc that i one floor up and a couple of rooms away.

Also would have to purchase a tablet /cell phone to access setup the software for it.

2. have rogers tech come to house drill hole in my outside wall and run the cable from a different entry point to the room that i am going to eventually have 4 pc in.

***Edited Labels***

2 REPLIES 2

Re: to pod or not to pod

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Do you happen to have Cat-5e (or higher) telephone cabling in your home that you're not using as you don't have or intend to use a Home Phone service of any type?  If so, you could repurpose that cabling to run a house wide ethernet network.  

Or, do you already have ethernet cabling throughout the house?  If so, then you can run a pod which is connected to the modem via ethernet.  The pods have apparently supported ethernet backhaul for a while now.

Re: to pod or not to pod

hiho
I'm an enthusiast

telephone wires are from 1978 so dont think that would wrk 🙂

only have cable to the basement where the modem is currently located i did have a look and see if the cable could be run from inside but the logestics of doing that would be a total nightmare to try and do would have to drill 2 holes then run the cable from the hole up then through a bedroom to my new computer room

i am thinking with that all said to go from my org entry point at the back of the house to the outside wall have tech drill hole through that wall into the room that i need internet access to.

either way its going to be rouhly a 100 foot run in or out and out would be the simplest.

Forgot to mention have np using ignight tv in my new computer room its only the internet part of ignite wireless that wont connect all my computers are less than 1yr old

so i 

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation