cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XB7 - IoT Devices Connection Issues

liangvic
I've been here awhile

I hope someone can help me here...

I switch my old rocket modem to this new Ignite Wifi Gateway (2nd Gen) XB7 (White) Modem.  I've set up my Wifi SSID name the same, and wifi passowrd the same, hoping every devices can be smoothly connected to the new modem.  So it appears laptop, tablets, android-tv box, Echo Show are all working properly, they can all connect to internet with faster speed... EXCEPT the  Ecobee 3 Lite thermostat, Blink outdoor cameras, and D-link cameras, These devices all are able to connect to the wifi/modem, but  somehow have no internet connection.   The Ecobee would tell me that it is connected with Wifi, but have no connection to Ecobee.com (no internet). The Blink cameras would show the connection to Wifi is there, and the sync moudle is also connected with the wifi, but no internet connection, so the Live View is failed to show.  Same thing for my D-link security camera.   So I tried to trouble shoot and typed 10.0.0.1 to go to the setting of the Ignite Wifi Gateway (2nd Gen) XB7 (White) Modem. 

I tired changing some setting like change the firewalls setting to no firewalls, or 

change the name of the wifi SSID and password, and see if these devices will connect to internet , or 

reset the wifi setup in the Ecobee thermostat, and Blink sync module.....

none of these works.  and it puzzles me, as all my laptop and tablets, and smartphone connects to internet no problem. 

Hopefully, someone with the same problem read this post, and kindly share the solution to me. 

Thanks,

Victor

*Added Labels*

17 REPLIES 17

Re: XB7 - IoT Devices Connection Issues

Bplayer
I'm a trusted contributor

Power down those the devices that are having connection problems, and also the XB7. Then power them back on and all should be fine.

liangvic
I've been here awhile

upon further investigation...

I changed my 2.4Ghz Wifi SSID name to be different than 5Ghz SSID name, so I can be sure which Wifi I was on.  I was able to use my smart phone to connect with 2.4Ghz, and my smart phone would kept telling me that this has no internet connection.  

At least I figure out that problem lies at the 2.4Ghz Wifi router in this XB7 modem.  I"m gonna call up customer support to see if they can figure out. 

ArthurASA
I've been here awhile

Hey I am having the same issue with the XB7 modern's 2.4G network. All my doorbell, cameras etc are not working. Just wondering did you solve it at last? Was the customer service responstive? Thank you in advance.

liangvic
I've been here awhile
Yeah, my problem was resolved by calling the customer technical service, and she did a hard reset on her end. Then everything should work.

Hello @ArthurASA,

Welcome to the Community!

You've come to the right place! Can you please tell us what troubleshooting steps you've tried so far? Have you had a chance to speak to our technical support team?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

RogersZia

ArthurASA
I've been here awhile
Yes I contact the team today and they did a factory reset. My issue is now gone. Thanks to Jon and Raaven who helped me out.

liangvic
I've been here awhile

It's been a month now, and my XB7 modem is acting up again. 

I could not get my security camera to keep connected with 2.4Ghz Wifi.

After I called the technical service, and have him do a hard reset on his end, the problem seems to be solved for a little while, but still comes back again.  No internet connection with 2.4Ghz Wifi.

I start to think that this XB7 modem is the reason, and might be defective....

I will call technical support again.... 

LegitStrats
I've been here awhile

I recently received the XB7 modem and I'm experiencing the exact same issue. Scouring through the internet and it seems like this is a prevalent issue with this modem in particular, which leads me to believe it is a hardware issue. I'm hoping that you or someone has a solution. Otherwise, it looks like I will be buying a router haha.  

@LegitStrats have a look at the following page:

https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/cant-connect-any-smart-home-devices-to-xb...

Assuming that the devices in question are 802.11 g/n/ac/ax capable (which excludes 802.11b devices), and your encountering problems,then you might have an issue with Band Steering.  There is a check box in the wifi settings which indicates “Use different names and passwords for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz WiFi”.  If you check the box and hit Apply changes, you can then temporarily rename the 5 Ghz network.  It looks like Band Steering is enabled (same SSIDs) or disabled (different SSID) when you change the status of that check box and Apply the Changes.  Not exactly intuitive, personal opinion.  

Here's the Rogers reference page for this:

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/how-to-ensure-bandsteering-is-on-for-the-rogers-igni...

Keep in mind, if you're connecting to the modem via the 5 Ghz network when you do this, you will automatically disconnect from the modem, so you will either have to reconnect to the modem using the new 5 Ghz SSID or switch to the 2.4 Ghz network.  Ok, when either one is done, you should have separate 2.4 and 6 5 Ghz networks, which should give you the ability to connect the device in question to the modem.  When that is done, recheck the box to use the same SSID and hit Apply Changes.  That should reenable Band Steering and hopefully the modem will leave the device running on the 2.4 Ghz network and not attempt to force it onto the 5 Ghz network.

LegitStrats
I've been here awhile

@Datalink Thank you for the thorough response! I really do appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've tried what you mentioned earlier to no avail. In fact, I never had band steering on to begin with as I prefer to have two separate bands. Routers in general are unreliable with respect to band steering to the point where I prefer to keep two separate SSIDs. I saw that forum post that you linked prior to commenting and have tried that as well to no avail. I also tried enabling band steering to see if that would change anything but it didn't. I tried changing the wifi standard and the wifi channel but the issue still persists. The issue is only apparent on the 2.4GHz band. Any device connected to the 5GHz band works completely fine. Sometimes the 2.4GHz SSID outright disappears randomly and reappears randomly. At this point, I'm at my wit's end. Unless I'm missing something, either my unit is faulty or the modem itself has this issue.

@LegitStrats maybe the thing to do is to call for a replacement modem.  The 2.4 Ghz network shouldn't disappear, so, I would think that there's a problem with the your particular modem.  Only way to find out is to swap the modem.  If you still have the same issue connecting to the 2.4 Ghz network, then the only conclusion is that there's some issue with Comcasts firmware that Rogers isn't likely going to be able to resolve. 

feifeihahah
I've been here awhile

Some devices not able to connect to wifi:

My family has been using Rogers' wifi for a long time. We were using the black modem (I don't know the name of it). Recently we upgraded the speed of our wifi and switched to a white modem. Most of our devices are able to connect to wifi (e.g., cell phones, TVs, laptops). However, some devices are not able to connect to wifi after switching to the white modem (while they worked when using the black modem). Those devices are my Epson nx430 wireless printer, Fitbit versa 2 smartwatch, and Garmin venu 2 smart watch.

I wonder if it is related to the settings of the new modem.

Hello, @feifeihahah.

Welcome to Rogers Community Forums! 😃

Thank you for posting your concern in the Community. The white modem you are referring to could be XB7. Can you confirm the modem's model by checking the product sticker at the bottom of the modem? You should see CGM4331COM.

The XB7, by default, selects WiFi 6 (AX) for your WiFi network and band steering is also enabled. This combination may cause connection issues for certain older devices, which only connect to the 2.4 GHz band.

You can try switching your network to WiFi 5 (AC). If the issue persists, then you can try disabling the band steering.

Please see this post for details on disabling band steering. 

Cheers,
RogersMoin

feifeihahah
I've been here awhile

Hi RogersMoin,

Thanks for your reply.

I saw CGM4331ROG instead of CGM4331COM though. 

Anyways, could you please tell me how to switch from WiFi 6 to WiFi 5?

Fei

Hello, @feifeihahah.

I appreciate you checking the modem’s model; you have the latest XB7 modem. 

How did you set up the modem? You can check the Ignite WiFi Hub app to see if there is an option to select the “802.11 ac” mode. 

If not, we can try temporarily renaming the 5 GHz network. This may help the devices to try connecting to the 2.4 GHz network. 

To rename the 5 GHz network, please follow the steps below:

• Edit WiFi Settings (Tap on the Pencil).
  • Check - Use different names and passwords for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz WiFi.
  • Scroll down to 5 GHz WiFi, change the name. You can just add a character to the name.
  • Apply Changes.

Now try connecting your devices to the 2.4 GHz network. Hopefully, they get connected. 

Please revert the 5 GHz name change. You just need to uncheck the box for ‘Use different names and passwords for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz WiFi’. It’s important to reverse the changes so all your other devices are connected.

I can understand the above steps are overwhelming. Alternately, you can try paring your smartwatches directly to your mobile phones.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

feifeihahah
I've been here awhile

Hi RogersMoin,

Thanks for replying.

I did not see the option to select the “802.11 ac” mode, but I renamed the 5 GHz network. Now my Garmin Venu 2 watch is able to connect to the 2.4GHz network but my printer is not. I don't know why but my printer was able to connect to the black modem we had and to the wifi hotspot from my phone. Any thoughts?

Fei

Hello, @feifeihahah

It looks like that specific printer was manufactured in 2011 and may not be compatible with the newer Wi-Fi protocols used in the new modems.

There doesn't appear to be an option to switch to a older Wi-Fi protocol in the settings.

RogersTony

Topic Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 9 in conversation