cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi and TV Connection

PamRat
I've been here awhile

In early Feb a Shaw tech came and replaced my old modem and PVR with the new Ignite system. Last Wednesday I had no TV or Internet connection so I called Shaw. The tech on the phone came to the conclusion that my modem was faulty. He shipped me a new one and I installed that the next day with the help of Shaw phone support. The wifi connection on my laptop and iPhone are Ok for the most part but tv keeps cutting out. Even sitting in my bedroom next to the modem the wifi on my iPhone cuts out occasionally. I have a tech coming tomorrow to investigate but in the meantime thought I would ask in this forum.

1. I have an older model Sony Bravia TV - not a Smart TV (tech who installed said that wasn’t an issue).
2. I have an older model iPhone 7.
3. I have a 2019 Lenovo Ideapad 330.

The modem is right next to the laptop in the bedroom but TV is in the living room. I’m in a one bedroom condo.

The tech on the phone said it COULD be location of the modem or having an older model tv.

What do you think?

***Edited Labels***

2 REPLIES 2

Re: WiFi and TV Connection

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@PamRat When Ignite TV streams HD channels, it will consume roughly 10 Mbps of bandwidth.  That is not very much.  However, if the Wi-Fi connection to your set-top box cannot sustain that data rate, the set-top box will run out of data to process and you will get audio/video drop-outs.

On your TV set-top box, go to Settings / Device Settings / Network

It should say that your "WiFi Signal Strength" is either "good" or "excellent".  If it says "poor", that's your problem.

Also try walking around your condo with your iPhone in hand and observe how your Wi-Fi signal strength goes up and down in various locations.  Also place your iPhone right next to your set-top box to get a second measurement of the Wi-Fi signal from that location.

If you discover Wi-Fi "dead zones", you can also try moving your Ignite Gateway around in its current location to see if you can improve the Wi-Fi signal strength in the areas where you need the best Wi-Fi connectivity.

Re: WiFi and TV Connection

PamRat
I've been here awhile
My TV only has a black screen - no picture or sound. I have an older model Sony Bravia - not a Smart TV so no TV set top box. I have walked around condo and signal flips back and forth from WiFi to LTE all the time. After I installed the replacement modem on Thursday mid-day it was ok for a little while and then went dead. I turned TV off and back on at 9:00pm and it was fine until I went to bed. Fine all day Friday. Yesterday started acting up and today nothing. Today WiFi signal also intermittent on the laptop which is right next to the modem.
Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 in conversation