Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoIP Phones Call Dropped - Rogers Hitron CODA-4582U

jzhu47
I've been here awhile

SIP Phone call only can last 30s in Rogers network

Hi there,

I have setup a PBX and VOIP phone at home for home business, but unfortunately the every outgoing call can only last 31s then cut off, but incoming call is fine. 

I tried with another ISP carrier has no such issue occurred, both incoming and outgoing is fine. note: setting on PBX and VOIP never change.

modem: Hitron CODA-4582.

speed: 1G/30M

SIP Trunk Provider: Fibernetic 

PBX: Grandstream UCM6202

SIP PHONE: GrandStream GXP2135 

any one knows why? and how to fix it?

changing rogers modem as Bridge mode, could help?

***Added Labels***

6 REPLIES 6

Re: VoIP Phones Call Dropped - Rogers Hitron CODA-4582U

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jzhu47 have you already disabled the SIP/ALG which is located in the BASIC .... GATEWAY FUNCTION tab?  If not, can you do that and then reboot the modem using the ADMIN .... DEVICE RESET .... Reboot function.

If you have your own router, then you could definitely switch the modem into Bridge mode and use your own router.  To do that, log into the modem using 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.100.1 to access the login page.  Those IP addresses will work when the modem is running in its default Gateway mode.   Navigate to the BASIC .... GATEWAY FUNCTION tab and disable the Residential Gateway Function.  Save the setting and the modem will reboot into Bridge mode. 

To return to the Gateway mode from Bridge mode, use 192.168.100.1 to access the modem's login page.  That address with work thru your router, so you don't have to rip the network apart to access the modem.  Navigate to the BASIC .... GATEWAY FUNCTION tab and enable the Residential Gateway Function.  Save the setting and the modem will reboot into Gateway mode with its previous settings intact.

jzhu47
I've been here awhile

thanks for your reply, I will try it first.  I hope this issue can be fixed, otherwise, I have to switch to another internet provider.  if possible, can I try with another brand cable modem like cisco instead of Hitron.

sskf
I've been here awhile

Hello,

Have IP Phones and for past weeks call start dropping

Rogers modem ( Hitron coda-4582 u ) is in bridge mode and connected to sophos firewall

which is connected to Cisco switch and all the IP phones connected to switch.it worked fines for years,

Now all of the sudden for past weeks.the calls are dropping.

We have checked the switch and sop-hos firewall and they seems fine

SIP provider for phones been contacted and they said all fine on their side

The only thing is Rogers now.

I have felling that rogers internet may be disconnecting intermittently or rogers is internet drop and comes back

not sure

Any advise please

Hello, @sskf.

Welcome to Rogers Community Forums! 

Thank you for posting your concern in the Community. I appreciate the details provided in your post. Besides the calls dropping, did you notice any other device losing the Internet connection? 

The next time the call drops, you may want to check if the light pattern on the modem changes. If the modem is rebooting, you will notice the 2nd and 3rd lights from the top down flashing and getting stable. You need the top four lights on the modem solid/stable, for the Internet to work. 

Also, please provide us with the firmware version and Downstream, OFDM & Upstream Signal tables. Once you log in to the modem, the firmware/software version is listed on the Status page and Signal table on the DOCSIS WAN page. 

Cheers,
RogersMoin

sskf
I've been here awhile

Hello Moin,

Thank you for taking time to reply my post.

Rogers guy was on location and he changed the modem but call still drops

Again sophos firewall tech checked as well and setting for firewall all good

It was working for many years and all of sudden calls get dropping

VoIP provider is a cloud provider and they don't see any issue on their side

is it possible you can see the log on modem for any intermittent drop of internet

Regards

Syed

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sskf if the modem signal levels are ok, and I'd be interested in seeing them, then problems such as this would most likely be attributable to:

1.  cable issues which don't show up in the signal data, so, its time to hunt for packet loss;

2.  issues enroute to, or with the neighbourhood node which your modem connects to via cable;

3.  Issues enroute to, or with the Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS) which connects to the neighbourhood node via fibre. 

The one problem with intermittent disconnects is that the signal levels can look ok, but, you can still end up with packet loss between the modem and the neighbourhood node.  The way to detect cable issues is to run a ping test to the Cable Modem Termination System.  The cable path is:

1.  Modem to house external demarcation

2.  Demarc to local tap (nearby pedestal or utility pole)

3.  Local tap to neighbourhood node

4.  neighbourhood node to CMTS

The most common cause of issues like this, from what I've seen is with the external cable leading from the local tap to the house.  But, there could also be issues with the cabling and any equipment between the local tap (nearby pedestal or utility pole) and the neighbourhood node.  

Ok, when you have time and the patience for it, run a ping test to the CMTS, looking for packet loss in this case.

To do that, assuming that the modem is in Bridge mode with the router behind it, first, run a trace to anywhere using a command prompt and the following command:

tracert -4 www.google.ca

The first hop IP address is the router's LAN IP address.

The second hop IP address is the CMTS IP address.

Ping the CMTS using the following command:

ping -n 3600 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx      where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is that second hop IP address.  

That test will run for 1 hour and terminate.  When that is complete, right click on the top title line of the command box.  Select Edit .... Select All.  Right click again, select Edit ..... Copy.  Then paste that into a text editor so that you can copy the bottom results.  Paste those results into a post and also into the message to @CommunityHelps

To run a much longer ping test, use a larger number, above 3600 pings.  Windows runs 1 ping per second.  

You can also run a much longer ping test by using:  

ping -t xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx       

That will run until you use Ctrl c to stop the test.  Copy the results as indicated above to post them into a post or message.  

Its possible to run a test to the primary IPV4 DNS address as well.  Use 64.71.255.204 to ping the DNS.  I don't recommend running a test to the DNS until a long test to the CMTS has run and turned up essentially no losses.  Ok, in that case, the next question is, what are the results thru and beyond the CMTS.  Thats a valid question, but, first, the task at hand is to clear the modem to CMTS path of any technical issues.  

You will see high time pings to the CMTS, ranging up to about 90 to 100 milliseconds.  For now ignore the response times.  Those high times are due to an internal modem timing issue and only affect the ping time to the CMTS.  Beyond the CMTS, there is no effect on the response times.  Ok, ignore the response times, look for packet loss which would explain the poor VOIP performance.  There is definitely a possibility of poor throughput (latency) at the neighbourhood node or CMTS, but, with the 4582 modem and its internal timing issue, there's no way to test for it unless the CMTS responds to a TCP ping.  Some do, some don't.  If you're lucky, you might be able to use a TCP/IP ping test looking for latency to the CMTS, but, first, look for packet loss. 

If the ping testing turns up no significant packet loss would I definitely recommend a ping test to the DNS, which will run thru and beyond the CMTS.  That shouldn't result in any packet loss or large latency.

Would you happen to know if the VOIP application or device runs TCP or UDP?

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation