cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unstable Performance

sudz1
I've been around

Hi everyone, 

I'm posting here because I'm having significant performance issues since I moved to a new home in the summer and it has come time to deal with these issues.

I have a 1.5gb down connection with a Gen 3 modem. Speedtests at all times of the day are between 500-700 MBPS. My upload is always 45-50. My PC is hardlined by a  CAT 8 cable. The issues occur on wifi as well (the rest of the house, including my work laptop for zoom calls and the TVs, are on wifi). The issues seem to become worse at night, leading me to believe they may be load based. The tech who came out a few months ago shot this theory down but I'm not so sure.

The issues reveal themselves when I am gaming, on video calls for work, or streaming, as follows:

- Video chats: degradation of the quality of others' video that I am viewing every 5 minutes or so. It then fairly quickly resolves. I'm told by others that my audio and video are fine. 

- Streaming: Video quality will degrade from 4k to what looks like 360p every 5 minutes or so. It will resolve itself and the cycle continues.

- Gaming: The issue is most evident while gaming. I have played competitive FPS games for decades and have a very good sense of when I'm having network issues. I'll use counter-strike as an example. My character will regularly slide around as though on ice and move without any input by me. Sometimes, the game will require multiple key inputs to perform an action. I have tested this on four different games, on different platforms, all with the same result. 

Attempts to resolve with no success:

• Swapped ethernet cable 
  • Restarted and then Factory reset modem
  • Switched modem off of bridge mode to skip my router and used all four ports on the modem with my ethernet cables
  • Had a tech come by in October who told me that my modem was "out of spec". He told me that he attached a filter of some sort at the green box. It made no difference.

I have attached a pingplotter snapshot that is representative of what I regularly see. When I captured it, there was one TV streaming a movie through our Ignite box. I have ran similar tests on different domains at all times of day that look very similar. Clearly, there is packetloss at some nodes as depicted in the picture. 

I have a ticket into Rogers to work on this but I'd appreciate the input of anyone who has some insight into this type of issue.

Thanks very much!

Pingplotter Jan 2024.png

***Edited Labels***

1 REPLY 1

Re: Unstable Performance

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sudz1 wrote:

Hi everyone, 

I'm posting here because I'm having significant performance issues since I moved to a new home in the summer and it has come time to deal with these issues.

I have a 1.5gb down connection with a Gen 3 modem. Speedtests at all times of the day are between 500-700 MBPS. My upload is always 45-50. My PC is hardlined by a  CAT 8 cable. The issues occur on wifi as well (the rest of the house, including my work laptop for zoom calls and the TVs, are on wifi). The issues seem to become worse at night, leading me to believe they may be load based. The tech who came out a few months ago shot this theory down but I'm not so sure.

I also subscribe to Ignite 1.5 Gigabit and was one of the early testers of the XB8 gateway.  The firmware on the XB8 has been pretty solid for the past year and I am able to attain sustained downloads of over 1.8 Gbps and uploads of 55 Mbps.  I can attain this in Gateway mode, with a 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet connection and at close range over Wi-Fi 6E, and in Bridge Mode with my own hardware.  I'm using high-quality Cat 5e and Cat 6 cables for my 2.5 GigE connections.

Wi-Fi speeds can vary.  Some Wi-Fi chipsets just don't play nicely with the Broadcom Wi-Fi 6E chipset in the XB8.

With Wi-Fi 6, I can attain download speeds between 700 and 800 Mbps, depending on which computer I test with.

My Wi-Fi 6E tests were done with an Intel AX210 module, but it took Intel quite a bit of time to deliver stable drivers.

If your modem's signal levels are good are you are not getting a ton of uncorrectable codewords errors in your stats, you should be able to attain full download speeds, assuming that there are no issues with your hardware.

Here are some tips for troubleshooting a slow or intermittent connection: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Troubleshooting-a-Slow-or-Intermittent-Connection-Wir...

The issues reveal themselves when I am gaming, on video calls for work, or streaming, as follows:

- Video chats: degradation of the quality of others' video that I am viewing every 5 minutes or so. It then fairly quickly resolves. I'm told by others that my audio and video are fine. 

- Streaming: Video quality will degrade from 4k to what looks like 360p every 5 minutes or so. It will resolve itself and the cycle continues.

- Gaming: The issue is most evident while gaming. I have played competitive FPS games for decades and have a very good sense of when I'm having network issues. I'll use counter-strike as an example. My character will regularly slide around as though on ice and move without any input by me. Sometimes, the game will require multiple key inputs to perform an action. I have tested this on four different games, on different platforms, all with the same result. 

Your problems with Video Chats and Gaming are probably latency-related.  When doing a ping test to a well-connected Internet host, such as 8.8.8.8, you should see round trip times in the 15 to 30ms range.  It's not uncommon to see spikes of 100ms.  If you see latency spikes in the 400 - 500ms range, that's not good.  It's also not unheard of.  Here are some troubleshooting steps: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Troubleshooting-Latency-Wired-Devices/ta-p/462951

If your traceroute responses are high on the second hop, your CMTS router, that's indicative of the DOCSIS infrastructure in introducing all of your latency.  It could be due to an overloaded fibre node.  If your local node got upgraded to a new DAA/R-PHY node, be aware that Rogers is working through some issues with the new hardware and the back-end infrastructure that supports it.

As for the quality issues with Ignite TV, that could be caused by packet loss or it could be due to the quality of your Wi-Fi connection.  Ignite TV consumes approximately 10 Mbps for an HD channel stream and 25 Mbps for 4K streams.  The stream is sent in bursts using a variable bitrate codec, and normally it is able to ride out minor packet loss without you even noticing it.  However, if there are either severe network issues or you have a poor-quality/low bandwidth Wi-Fi connection, the set-top box will drop down and use a lower bitrate to allow you to continue to watch the channel without the stream dropping.  If network conditions get so bad that the set-top box's buffers get exhausted and it runs out of data to process, you will get audio drop-outs or the screen could momentarily go black... or the stream itself could drop.

You can also run into problems with Wi-Fi if you have other devices in your home that are very active on the network but have poor Wi-Fi connectivity.

Attempts to resolve with no success:

• Swapped ethernet cable 
  • Restarted and then Factory reset modem
  • Switched modem off of bridge mode to skip my router and used all four ports on the modem with my ethernet cables
  • Had a tech come by in October who told me that my modem was "out of spec". He told me that he attached a filter of some sort at the green box. It made no difference.

I have attached a pingplotter snapshot that is representative of what I regularly see. When I captured it, there was one TV streaming a movie through our Ignite box. I have ran similar tests on different domains at all times of day that look very similar. Clearly, there is packetloss at some nodes as depicted in the picture. 

I have a ticket into Rogers to work on this but I'd appreciate the input of anyone who has some insight into this type of issue.

All that I can recommend at this time is that you following the troubleshooting steps in the links that I provided.  Only use the recommended tools, such as ping and traceroute.  The Rogers support teams will not accept your pingplotter snapshots.

Also, check your modem's signal levels and error stats.  Feel free to post them here too.

Best of luck with your troubleshooting.

Topic Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation