Unable to get different SSID for 5G

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Unable to get different SSID for 5G

I just changed my Rogers Internet Modem (Hitron CGN3) as the old one was dropping connection at least twice a day and support had run out of other ideas.

Now when I setup the new one it said that I will only have 1 SSID and my devices will swtich between them.  I want to have the previous setup where I had 2 ssids. 

When I try renaming the 5G network to Rogers-5G it also renames the 2G one. Can any one help?

*Added Labels*

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Unable to get different SSID for 5G

@jaspritsingh Rogers has enabled Band Steering recently and I believe that requires single SSID use.  Somewhere in the wifi User Interface, there is probably a setting to enable/disable Band steering, and possibly a setting to enforce single SSIDs.  Have a look thru the wifi UI to look for the Band steering setting and disable it.  Have a look for any setting for single SSIDs as well.  I haven't heard of any setting such as that, so its possible that the Band Steering enable/disable does it all.  If that is correct, once the setting is disabled, you should be able to set different SSIDs.  Maybe one of the moderators can comment on that one.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the quick reply. 

It was indeed band steering. I was able to get 5G to show up almost instantly. Sadly the speeds are now terrible. 

I am on a 300mbps connection. 2G gives me 60 mbps tops while 5G which previously topped 500 Mbps is now averaging around 10-12 Mbps. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jaspritsingh have a look at the following post, specifically the wifi settings and applications to check your wifi environment so you can determine whom you're competing with for open or clear wifi channels:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/slow-wifi/m-p/429489#M54216

Adjust your wifi settings as required.  When you disabled Band Steering, the 5 Ghz wifi channel may have defaulted to a less than optimal channel for your location. 

When you have a look at your wifi environment, you might find that the 2.4 Ghz band is a write-off if you happen to live in a typical neighbourhood with a great many 2.4 Ghz networks running. 

I've Been Here Awhile

You were right again. The Channel for 5G was set to auto and was 45. In the drop down there were only range options. I selected  the highest one possible and now am getting correct wifi speeds again since last evening. Thanks a lot for your help. Much appreciated.