Time For Takeoff

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Time For Takeoff

Hello

Anyone getting a notice on there door about Rogers being committed to connecting Canadians with the latest technology? Our service has been down since early this morning and still down. I wasn't aware of anything new coming out besides Ignite TV and don't have nor want the service. 

What's this all about? 

***Added Labels***

I'm a Regular

Re: Time For Takeoff

I received a letter on my door last March about a new “vault” being installed beside my house. The letter wasn’t directly from Rogers, but rather from a 3rd party sub-contracted by Rogers. It said it was part of Rogers’ commitment to install more fibre. It also said there was no ETA on when it would be installed. I’ve been trying to find out from Rogers but I haven’t been successful.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Could be any number of things possibly..

Could be upgrading stuff like the local nodes.. upgrading the hardware there, allow better internet, faster connections, etc.

I remember getting an email recently with similar.. which I think was primarily focusing on the cellular structure? 
(more towers, getting ready for 5g, etc)

I Plan to Stick Around

Services were back up around 4pm yesterday but not sure on the improvements yet. The speeds are slower then before after restarting the modem. Maybe the work is not completed yet in the area to know yet or see. 

The only thing I would have liked to know is time to complete the work or ETA this way I know if I have a current issue or not.

I'm a Regular

"Prepare for liftoff" network enhancement notification left on my door

Hi everyone, a flyer was left on my door yesterday (see screenshot attached).  In fact, this was left on every door in my neighbourhood.  I called the number on the flyer and spoke to someone at Rogers who said it was a "fibre to the curb" upgrade.  He couldn't explain or provide any additional details.  I've never heard of fibre to the "curb"...I've heard of fibre to the node and fibre to the home, but not to the "curb".  Does anyone know what this means?  Is Rogers pushing fibre right to my local tap, and then it would just be coax from the tap straight into my home??

pic.jpeg

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@toolcubed

Interesting. Does your neighborhood have a history of having a high utilization on the upload/ or is always bandwidth starved?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

National Broadband Network Australia is going the "fibre to the curb" route in its upgrade to fibre optics.  This involves running fibre to a pit just in front of the home, near or at the curb.  The home is then connected to the fibre via traditional copper cabling.  

Maybe Rogers is going this route instead, which is to push the copper core out of its aluminum shield and blow in fibre optic cable to replace it.  You end up with fibre optics from the neighbourhood  node to the local tap (pedestal) with copper cabling to the home:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQJUSGLCi0M

Its either that, or you're going to see lawns and driveways ripped up to install newer copper cabling or fibre optics.  Keep us posted on which method is used.  

I'm a Regular

Will do. Construction has already started a couple of streets over. And several weeks back, a few guys came around to mark up the sidewalks and grass with spray paint and mini flags where water and gas is located...they did this all over my half of the neighbourhood. Presumably to prep for the work Rogers is going to be doing, which appears to be quite a bit of digging. This is all very exciting stuff Smiley Happy I’ll keep you guys posted, possibly with pics of progress if I have the time.

Edit: Datalink, thanks for that video. Very cool Smiley Happy
I'm a Regular

UPDATE

Construction has started on my street. Spoke to one of the guys from NX Utilities, which is the company doing the work. They’re boring and laying new conduit from the fibre node to the nearby taps/pedestals closer to our homes. Then they’re going to feed fibre thru those conduits and Rogers will do the splicing and finalize the hookup in early Dec. Confirmed it’s fibre to the curb. FINALLY! I’ve been waiting for these improvements for a VERY long time Smiley Happy
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers has had FTTN in most places for a long time and RF-coax to the home has been enough to provide good bandwidth for the several hundred people typically connected to a node (offering as high as 1GB downloads) .

Now that many more people are demanding more bandwidth (even though most of them don't need it) I'm guessing that the RF-coax (from the node) is now not enough to meet the demands where many people demand high bandwidth.  So, you need FTTC (curb) to meet those demands with fewer people connected to the Curb box (pedestal).  I'm guessing that RF-coax to the home (from the curb) will be adequate for the near future, eventually giving way to Fibre also.  Of course IPTV (IgniteTV) also plays into this.

Bell's legacy twisted pair cables could not provide the bandwidth (25-100 mpbs max depending), so they had to go FTTH to be competitive.

Topic Stats
  • 32 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 8 in conversation