I am in the GTA and have been experiencing slow speeds since Oct 2021 when I switched from 500U to Gigabit.
I have a XB7 modem Technicolor CGM4331COM with HW Version 2.0
I have been taking multiple speed tests (Rogers / Ookla / Fast.com per day and my speeds range from 180 - 640 Mbps. Average is prob around 380. I have been on Rogers case about it snd something strange happened last week during a Technician visit. I hadn't checked speeds that day but when tech arrived we talked about my setup and he had me check speeds using Rogers and ookla....I was hitting 940 - 975 Mbps during his visit and for rest of the day. Technician said he made no changes before arriving at my home. I was astounded...what could I say, no evidence of any issue!!! Next morning speeds were back to normal slow so I called Rogers and had another technician come out. Also had me check speed and they were in 250 - 380 range. Technician connected his laptop and was hitting 750 over multiple tests. I pulled out two Dell laptops 2018 and 2019 models and tried same over wired connection and got my normal slow speeds. Technician left because he tested with his laptop and good speeds were attained. I am not sure where to go from here, can some of you experts provide guidance pls on how I should proceed?
All these test were done on the same speed test site?
(the rogers speed test? or on speedtest.net, etc?)
The main reason I ask, is stuff like speedtest.net, while both that and rogers using OOKLA i believe.. the main thing is WHERE its testing to. The endpoint can make a big difference.
Even within the same town, point A vs B, depending on what provider, etc its connecting too.
And who/what is auto default chosen can change one test to the next.. and doesnt always choose the RIGHT places.
IE: I live in Georgina... so it will often try to choose BARRIE as my test location.
Um.. no. As routing wise.. to get to Barrie, it goes down to like richmondhill area i think, before going back up to barrie. compared to testing a richmondhill/toronto area test point, is much better as its a shorter distance/less jumps.
Thanks for the response. Good call re "endpoint" as I was not paying attention to that but will going forward.
All testing was done using Rogers speed test as well as speedtest.net which seems to be connecting to Guelph, ON.
I am having trouble accepting Rogers position that issue is all on my side. How was I hitting that 940 - 975 Mbps during the earlier Rogers Tech visit...on one hand seems to give me full confirmation that my system will handle Gigabit speeds. On other hand why was second Tech getting 750 Mbps when I could not on three systems.
I want to play around with this...tried changing cables cat6 / cat5e - no difference. What do I do next...pick up a new network card with much better that gigabit capability? Fresh OS install? Not sure where to go.
Sorry, forgot about this thread...yes I did finally get this resolved. Seems a reinstall of Win 10 resolved the issue...someone did point out to me after the fact that there is network reset functionality in Win 10 that I could have used.
I have recently upgraded from 150u to Gigabit. Even when hardwired, I only get 800 download and 30 upload (tested on a high-end workstation). I am using the XB7 gateway.
I am wondering if anyone is actually getting 1gbps as advertised?
@bzbz There is some protocol overhead, so the speeds that you will typically see when testing with a wired Gigabit Ethernet connection would be around 940 Mb/s, but that's attainable. If you can't hit those speeds, then it may be due to limitations with your hardware, or even the device drivers for your network adapter.
What G said. I normally look for 850+ on a wired connection. Speeds vary throughout the day as well. I would reboot and immediately get 850+ but then through the day, it dropped to 150+, even in bridge mode. What helped me was I did a factory reset on the gateway and on my TPLink router and put the gateway back into bridge mode and I have been good ever since.
What G said. I normally look for 850+ on a wired connection. Speeds vary throughout the day as well.
Yes! Good point! Speeds can and do vary, depending on network conditions.
I would reboot and immediately get 850+ but then through the day, it dropped to 150+, even in bridge mode. What helped me was I did a factory reset on the gateway and on my TPLink router and put the gateway back into bridge mode and I have been good ever since.
That's strange. You should not have had to do that, but I'm glad that everything is working for you now.