cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers email and Outlook Synchronization Issues

User2065
I've been here awhile

Using Outlook 2019 locally and having significant issues re synchronization.  System is synchronizing endlessly and this can delay sending emails and/or exiting the Outlook program. Using IMAP settings and have an app p/w.  I do not need to access email anywhere other than my desktop. 

Question............ Can I change my IMAP setting to POP and then select the option to not keep messages on the Rogers server.  I'm assuming that if I do this then synchronization will cease immediately or will be completed in a second as there will be nothing on the server to synchronization.   Will this work.

*** Edited Labels ***

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Rogers email and Outlook Synchronization Issues

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have the following comments.

1. Once you let a synchronization finish completely - let it run to the end, then there should be no issues in the future and anytime you connect via Outlook in the future should take almost no time, assuming no (new) major file sizes and/or a slow internet connection, in which case the transfer of any new files will take the same amount of time as if you're on POP.

2. Even if running POP, all of the outgoing and incoming e-mail will still be saved on the Webmail server until you delete them there.  You have no option regarding this, so if this is what you're trying to avoid, you cannot.

3. With POP, the items that are not saved on Webmail are e-mails that you have moved to any folders in Outlook, but since most "communication" with Webmail is when sending or receiving new e-mails, this (foldering) shouldn't really make any significant difference.

4. FYI, I run POP on my desktop computer with Outlook because I prefer to work offline and be in total control of which files end up where.  I have 5 different e-mail addresses for me and my wife (business, web surfing/disposable, personal).  On my iPad I run IMAP for one personal e-mail address and this causes me no issues, although it did take several minutes to completely synch recently when I got a new iPad and had to create a new account on that iPad.  After that (first) synch, everything was fine.  I suppose that the first such synch would take some time if you had a huge amount of e-mails/attachments, etc.

5. A while back I did a fair bit of research about switching from POP to IMAP and this process appeared to be fairly straight forward, even though I decided not to proceed.  However, I seem to recall warnings about trying to go the other way.  If you intend to go from IMAP to POP be very careful as you may end up losing all your information on Outlook.  As always, before making such a change, always backup your files (.pst?)

User2065
I've been here awhile

OK, thanks for the reply.

Synchronization seems to be running for an excessive amount of time.  When I open email the new emails are downloaded in a relatively short time, yet the synchronization process seems to be continuing to run for another 5 minutes at least.  If I compose and send a brief email with no attachments then it seems to be stuck in the outbox while the system initiates another synchronization.  Synchronization error logs are huge as well.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

hmm. Perhaps there is some sort of setting in Outlook that is not correct causing the synch issues.  Your error logs may be of some assistance, however, I've often found them to be fairly useless and often even leading you in the wrong direction.  Check your various settings to make sure they're OK for the server settings.

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/email-setup

qsgrampy
I plan to stick around

I have two email accounts - Outlook and the Rogers Email. The Rogers email is causing me nothing but grief as it controlling Outlook. It is syncing with Outlook causing outlook to freeze up and I have to use task manager to close Outlook and the restart it. This is happening 3 or 4 times a day. It is also not letting all my emails through. How can I stop this. Rogers tech says I need to delete all my email accounts but this can't be done. I am thinking of getting Rogers to change my email address and then trying to set up Outlook on its own and hopefully the new email address will not activate the Rogers email. Can anyone help? Thank you. qsgrampy

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 in conversation