cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3rd Party Modem - Netgear CM1200

RecceDG
I've been here awhile

My old cable modem is past EOL and Rogers wants to replace it with an IGNITE setup.

I just want a dumb cable modem, as my downstream network hardware is quite robust.

It looks like Rogers uses DOCSYS 3.1 and the Netgear CM1200 looks reasonable. Anybody using one? What hoops have to be jumped through to get Rogers to provision the connection once the hardware is in hand?

***Edited Labels***

6 REPLIES 6

Re: 3rd Party Modem - Netgear CM1200

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RecceDG Rogers does not currently allow 3rd party modems on the network, nor does it allow private ownership of modems that Rogers uses.  There was a point in time, about 5 years ago when Rogers allowed customers to buy their own CGN3 modem, which was the first Hitron version of the problematic Intel Puma 6 modem.  Ever since that time, Rogers has not allowed customers to own their modems.  In any event, modem technology has changed fast enough that it doesn't make much sense these days to own your modem.

RecceDG
I've been here awhile
Huh. The Rogers tech I was just chatting with didn't object to my stating I was going to buy my own modem and even provided specs I would need to match. Are you sure?

Yup, I'm sure.  Now, Rogers did allow customers to own the modems in the past. Its always possible that Rogers will change its mind someday.  Maybe it has.  Buuuut, I'd be very surprised.  Customer service  and tech support reps are very constrained on the modems that they can authorize.  If the system menus don't contain the modem that you have in your hands, then there is no way for anyone to authorize that modem.  

Note, these days you have to consider the other services that you might have.  Rogers has moved from cable based Nextboxes for tv set top boxes to wifi / ethernet Comcast Xi6-A and Xi6-T set top boxes.  Those set top boxes are integrated with the Comcast XB6 and XB7 modems.  Those modems also support telephone services.  

So, along with a modem change that Rogers is pushing, you will most likely end up with a service change if you're running cable tv and Home Phone services.  Those individuals with previous generation cable tv services (Nextboxes) and Home Phone modems are grandfathered for now, but, at some point, probably sooner rather than later, Rogers will probably pull the plug on those services and force remaining customers over to the new generation Ignite TV service with its XB6 and XB7 modem.  Customers with the previous generation Nextbox set top boxes are already experiencing degraded service in terms of the info that is presented to the viewer.  That thread can be seen here:

Release Dates Missing on Channels - Rogers Community

So, without any info on what other services that you might be running, its hard to say what modem Rogers might allow you to use.  

I personally don't like the router provided, I would prefer a simple modem. I tried to register my own modem today and was told they did not allow it. It seems like a money making policy.

I now have to wait 3 days to Internet at my new house and have figure out how to disable their . routers

@ClaytonPaige all of the Rogers modems are able to run in Bridge mode, which is a pure modem only mode, no wifi, no firewall, no services of any kind.  Thats a simple selection within the user interface to switch from the default Gateway mode (full services) to Bridge mode (no services).  

Have a look at the following Rogers Internet Support page and scroll down to see the available modems:

https://www.rogers.com/support/internet

What modem did Rogers send you?

Edit:  grrrr, details, details.  The XB6 and XB7 modems do transmit hidden SSID networks when they're in Bridge mode.  

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Datalink wrote:

Edit:  grrrr, details, details.  The XB6 and XB7 modems do transmit hidden SSID networks when they're in Bridge mode.  

The Ignite (XB6 and XB7) gateways are multi-service devices.  They were designed to be the Hub for a whole suite of "connected home" service offerings.

When you enable Bridge Mode, that will disable the "in-home" Wi-Fi network, that devices would normally connect to, and bridges the LAN and WAN interfaces so that the connected router's WAN interface will get assigned public IPv4 and IPv6 addresses and an IPv6 PD.  It functions pretty much like bridge mode on any other cable modem.

The Ignite gateways also have an eMTA (telephony support) for Ignite Home phone, which is still functional in Bridge Mode.

The Ignite gateways also still have other internal services running, and those hidden SSIDs are bound to those services.  Rogers has declined to say what internal services they have enabled, only that those hidden Wi-Fi networks are there and enabled to support future service offerings.

There is no way to completely disable the radios on the XB6 or XB7 gateways, and they do have other radios other than Wi-Fi.

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 in conversation