cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Internet Parental Control for Modems/Routers

zabs
I've been around

We currently use Roger High Speed internet and was wondering whether there is a software so that internet trafffic at the router can be disabled at eg 10 PM to 8 AM .

Thanks,

Zabs

32 REPLIES 32

Re: Rogers Internet Parental Control for Modems/Routers

RogersPrasana
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @zabs

Welcome to the Community Forums! Smiley Happy

You've come to the right place for assistance. This sounds like something one of our Resident Experts, @Datalink or @Gdkitty can provide some insight into.

@RogersPrasana

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@zabs, have a look at the following post and scroll down thru the rest of the thread from there.  Hopefully that will describe what you are trying to set up.  

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/355...

BigJug
I'm a reliable contributor

Setting Time Limits - CODA 4582

Trying to set some time limits for the kids.  I have already gone in and set up the Device Filter, and set some management rules, but I find this very poorly designed, and unintuitive.

I cannot allow access for a certain part of the day, such as from noon to 6pm (example).  The filter does not allow me to block after midnight, and therefore I can only technically block from 6pm to 11:59pm.  It does not give me any other options to block another time slot for the SAME day....

am I doing this correctly?  some advice would be appreciated....

There is another user who determined that if you selectively set the time zone of the modem, you can  run a denial time past midnight in our timezone.  What you do is set the time zone so that midnight of the selected time zone corresponds to the earliest time that you want to block.  So, if that time was for example starting at 10 pm to 7 am, set the timezone so that modem midnight started at 10 pm our time.   So, if you wanted to run more than one cut-off period, set the modem timezone so that modem midnight started at the time selected for the first cut-off time.  You should be able to then run more than one cut-off time.  That will require you to experiment with two cut-off times to see if the modem will cooperate.

These devices would be considered on par with the most very basic stand alone router.. barely having any parental controls at all 😞
(at least these ones have SOME.. some of the earlier ones didnt have any at all, beyond device filtering)

This is where using a 3rd party router can serve better, mostly in options/features.

I am currently using an ASUS router.. and it has much better parental controls.  
Much more filtering options.   And the setting of times is done in 1 hr blocks.  You click on/off each specific block on each day.  So allows you to have 2 hours in the morning, a gap, then 3 in the eve, etc.

BigJug
I'm a reliable contributor

@Datalink wrote:

There is another user who determined that if you selectively set the time zone of the modem, you can  run a denial time past midnight in our timezone.  What you do is set the time zone so that midnight of the selected time zone corresponds to the earliest time that you want to block.  So, if that time was for example starting at 10 pm to 7 am, set the timezone so that modem midnight started at 10 pm our time.   So, if you wanted to run more than one cut-off period, set the modem timezone so that modem midnight started at the time selected for the first cut-off time.  You should be able to then run more than one cut-off time.  That will require you to experiment with two cut-off times to see if the modem will cooperate.

Genius.

I've come to realize that these settings are of the upmost basic format... I would love to have the type of control you have with the Asus, but I realize that will require me getting another router... it is what it is...

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah.. its unfortunate that we need to 😞
Really if people want more than just the basic basic settings.. and want any sort of customization at all.. a 3rd party router is necessary.

Its unfortunately a $$ investment.

But generally most people are well served spending that investment for the extra features that one will often gain.
- More advanced parental controls

- More advanced port forwarding (no limitations on number of forwarding)

- No limits on DHCP reservations

- Stepping up to a router with external antennas, etc will often greatly increase range.

Rdimarco
I've been here awhile

Is there any way to have the internet blocked for particular parts of the day, say 8-4 Monday to Friday?

@Rdimarco try this:

1.  Log into the modem and navigate to SECURITY .... DEVICE FILTER

2.  Select the Show button for the connected devices and let that build in.  I don't know how fast or slow that build in time actually is. 

3.  When the list has finished building copy the Host Name or MAC address of the device in question.  Select Block Listed and Add Managed Device, which will bring up a secondary entry panel. 

4.  Paste in the Host Name or MAC address and select Device Managed - YES and Manage All Day - NO. 

5.  At this point, after you have selected NO to Manage All Day, a Day and Time selection panel will show up as part of that panel.  At that point you can select the days and the times for the management.  From an old CGN3 user manual comes the following:

Use the Managed Weekdays fields to specify the days on which the device should be managed. A red background indicates that the device will be managed (access will be blocked), and a green background indicates that the device will not be managed (access will not be blocked). Click a day to toggle the rule on or off for the relevant day.

Use the Manage Time Start fields to specify the period during which the device should be managed. Enter the start time in the From fields, using twentyfour hour notation, and enter the end time in the To
fields.

I remember that there's something a little goofy with the selection of the day management.  If the colour indications above appear to work in reverse, as in Red turns out to be not blocked and Green turns out to be blocked, then simply reverse the choices.  

You will have to set the time for the modem to your local time in the ADMIN ..... TIME SETTING.  One thing to note, the managed time will not go beyond midnight, so, if you wanted to run a time block that starts before midnight and ends the next morning, you will have to set the time zone so that the modem's midnight is the same time as your desire management start time, and then set the end time as required.  So, in the case of Eastern Standard time for example, if the management start time was supposed to be 10 pm EST, set the time for UTC-03:00 Newfoundland, Greenland, Brazil East, which is two hours ahead of EST (modem midnight will be at 10 pm EST).  Then set the management start time for midnight and the stop time for how many hours you want the management time to last. 

That should hopefully do what you need to do. 

TeamWIF
I've been here awhile

I have a CODA-4582 Router with no options for timed parental controls - all on or all off.  I have gone to the Wireless tab, Access Controls sub menu and put a few devices on as MANAGED and then flicked all MANAGED devices to "Block Listed" and Saved Settings.  Logged out and back in and settings are correct.  The problem is, all of these devices are still getting WIFI??   Why is this happening and what has to be done to actually have a device blocked?  I am using this to turn of my children's devices.  At this point, I am not worried about timed blockage - will be happy with just blockage.

Hey @TeamWIF,

Totally understand the importance of staying on top of parental controls for your home network. I would recommend following the steps outlined by @Datalink in the previous post "here." Once done let us know if this works for you :).

RogersAndy

TeamWIF
I've been here awhile

Thank you … I have tried this … the device stays on both the list of Connected Devices and the list of Managed Devices (showing as BLOCK LISTED) and remains connected to the Wifi.  Would appreciate any other suggestions!  Have tried blocking on Wireless/Access Control to no avail as well.  Could this have something to do with him being connected to the 5G network?  How do I remove a device from all (2.4GHz and 5GHz)?

In addition to this, when I log back in, there is a new MAC Address for the device, but I can't add that MAC address as the device has the same name as the original MAC Address - perhaps a different MAC Address for regular WIFI, 2G and 5G?

Good afternoon @TeamWIF!

If the steps as outlined don't work for you, please try factory resetting your modem and set it back up again from the default settings. 

Let us know if the issue persists after its reset and set up as per the provided instructions.

Regards,

RogersCorey

mic7
I've been here awhile

Hi I recently switched to Rogers and I am trying to figure out the parental control for the CODA-4582U.  I found info on one of the forums and followed it but I am being told that the internet is shutting down from mid afternoon???   I want to only shut it down from 1am to 7 am (teenager don't want her on there all night) I have entered those times (yesterday I changed it to 1:15 to see if it made a difference ...no) I know it is a 24hr clock but I am not entering 13:00hrs.  Can someone please help me without being to technical...lol   Bell was so easy to enter the days and time to block! 

mic7
I've been here awhile

Hi thank you for the info.  I have made the changes hopefully it works.  Sure would make life easier if the option for Canada Eastern was available instead of trying to guess.  Thanks again.

mic7
I've been here awhile
Have been trying all day with my own device nothing is working.

Hello @mic7,

A warm welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 😃

As a fellow parent, I can understand how important it is to manage your kid's Internet/screen time especially in the late hours of the night when they should be sleeping!

Parental controls are a great way to do this. While I am not familiar with the exact steps I will definitely tag in some of our Resident Experts who may have a solution for you, @Datalink, @Gdkitty, and @gp-se.

If there are any other users in the Community who are familiar with parental control settings on the modem, do not hesitate to chime in!

Thank you for posting your concern in the Community and congrats on your first post! 

RogersTony

I dont have that modem to double check.. 

But I believe its by device? So you are entering in the MAC address of HER device?

And yeah if its 24 hr, 1am should be 01:00.  

One thing to check would be what the TIME on the modem itself is showing..  if its say 3 hours behind you,  you will want to adjust your time by that.

mic7
I've been here awhile

Hi thanks for the help/info. 

Just in case anyone else is having problems (Eastern time) you need to choose Colombia, Eastern Time, Indiana..... same time as Ontario.  Once I changed to this time zone and tested my tablet it worked!! 

Thanks again.

Hello,
I am looking to block certain website from my Rogers home internet. I am using Rogers Gigabit wifi modem. I contacted customer support but they told me it is unsupported, which seems to be surprising. Don't Rogers modem has anything like parental control?

Topic Stats