cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROGERS XB7 BRIDGE OR GATEWAY NEW

Blackyonder
I've been here awhile

Hello, I have a few questions…

first, my Xb7 gateway sucks in my older house lots of rooms and a separate garage outside from house about 150 feet from gateway and down a level….

I have the coaxial connection to my modem/gateway… I was curious do I buy a new router that has insane sq footage I think 3000sq foot asus router to reach my garage where I can stream youtube from pc and listen to Apple Music…. Or do I buy a new gateway/modem and run that setup instead of the Xb7 all-together?  I also run my iPhone 14promax out there and have a computer to watch YouTube as well as listen to music ….

(just to be clear my modem is the Xb7 second gen gateway…. Using rogers )

I heard using the 3000sq foot router is more efficient then buying a mesh setup, but I’d like to hear more options.

thanks!!

***Edited Labels***

2 REPLIES 2

Re: ROGERS XB7 BRIDGE OR GATEWAY NEW

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Eh... yes and no.
With a crazy powerful router, you would be going from device to router direct, yes there is less inbetween, so technically slightly less latency, etc.   But even those routers might strain to reach the far enough sections.

For what you described your doing, latency would not be that much of an issue.

For most people, the mesh is MORE than enough.   I am on the 500mbps plan, with the XB6 modem.   But I do have the gen2 pods.. (so not taking full advantage of the wifi6 on it).
And on most of the pod locations, I can pull 250mbps on speed tests most of the time.
Which is 5x+ more than enough for what your generally say your doing.

The tricks the right layout, have enough of them, etc.  
MOST people that have issues with them is due to poor layout.    Modem is on one side, poor reception on the far side.  You put the mesh pod near far side, and sure  you'll have good connection to it, but it will only be passing on POOR speed as all its picking up.  
Trick is to put it more part way inbetween, where its still picking up good signal, etc.

Re: ROGERS XB7 BRIDGE OR GATEWAY NEW

Blackyonder
I've been here awhile

So, lemme get this right….. with mesh you need all parts of a 3 part system to have full signal to have full speed? ( so, I’d need one device full signal and the second to within the distance of first so it has full signal and the third to be within distance of that second one to have full signal so the wifi runs at full speed?) what’s the perks to a mesh setup vs a wifi extender?

Would a wifi extender work on the same principle as the mesh?

and last the asus router I was talking about you’d need to be within full signal strength with your device to get full speeds…. Right?
I have the 500 download as well with Roger’s…. But was thinking of upgrading that because I do a lot of downloading /uploading to the cloud and seed box.

thanks all!!

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 in conversation