cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ping Spikes on ethernet

mabroor-bajwa
I plan to stick around

I have been having issues with my rogers internet for months now. I get really bad ping spikes while gaming connected to ethernet. My current network is setup like this, 

20221102_195856-min.jpg

I have even tried connecting directly to the modem but I still get ping spikes to 120ms+. I have technicians come over and take a look as well but they have only switched out the modem and said they cannot help. Any advice?

Also I have ran the following command in my command prompt ping -n 3600 64.71.255.204 and this was the results. 

Ping statistics for 64.71.255.204:
Packets: Sent = 1212, Received = 1211, Lost = 1 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 6ms, Maximum = 2644ms, Average = 38ms

*Added Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Ping Spikes on ethernet

mabroor-bajwa
I plan to stick around

Hi team,

I have been able to resolve my solution but unfortunately I had to install a line with Bell. I got bell's vdsl line install with 50mbps download and 10mbps upload but my ping times are all fixes. I hope rogers can get their infrastructure upgraded as it was a pain to figure out this issue. bellinternet2.PNGbellinternet.PNG

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mabroor-bajwa  Is this a constant, persistent problem that occurs at all times during the day or only at certain peak times, when the network may be under higher load?

The Rogers team has put together guides for troubleshooting slow/intermittent connections and latency:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Troubleshooting-a-Slow-or-Intermittent-Connection-Wir...

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Troubleshooting-Latency-Wired-Devices/ta-p/462951

For another assessment of the overall health of your Internet connection, I would also log into your modem, go to "Gateway > Connection > Rogers Network", scroll to the bottom of the page, and check the "Uncorrectable Codewords" error stats, particularly on the downstream OFDM (DOCSIS 3.1) channels.  The Uncorrectable errors should be zero, or close to zero.  If they are climbing, that's indicative of problems that you can get Rogers to investigate.

Another thing that you should do is run a ping test to 10.0.0.1, the IP address of your Ignite gateway.  If you still see high ping RTTs, then the problem is with your local network.

mabroor-bajwa
I plan to stick around

Hey there,

It is much more noticeable during the evening time and during the day compared to late at night. I checked the Uncorrectable Codewords stats page and there are 0. Also I did ping my local network there are no issues there as well. This is issue is persistent everyday I guess during peak hours so most of the day except late at night. Also I checked the tables for downstream and upstream checked the values for them everything looked normal according to the values given. I did ping google just now and eventhough it is late at night I still get ping spikes please see below 

Packets: Sent = 50, Received = 50, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Minimum = 9ms, Maximum = 113ms, Average = 22ms

Is there anything that can be done, its especially worse during the day or at peak hours during the night. 

@mabroor-bajwa  If the modem's signal levels are solid and the error stats are clean, and it's not due to issues with your in-home network, it's probably due to load on the Rogers network in your area.  I would advise sending a private message to @CommunityHelps  and ask them to check the stats on your node and CMTS, and to check whether there are any issues affecting your area.  Depending on what they find, they may or may not be able to escalate to the maintenance team.  Generally, their goal is deliver the download/upload speeds that you subscribe to and for the network/ping RTTs to be less than 100 ms.  In my area, I don't see much jitter.  I don't know how bad the jitter needs to get before they consider it a problem.

Often, the best strategy for getting network performance issues resolved is to find some stat or metric that is outside of Rogers' acceptable norms and then get tech support to create and escalate a ticket to get that issue investigated and resolved.  Once the network and maintenance teams get engaged, they will often do whatever they can to optimize the service in your area.

mabroor-bajwa
I plan to stick around

Called a technician over today to come take a look at the issue and he said there is an issue with the neighborhood and they are escalating to another team. Lets wait and see what happens hopefully I could get this issue resolved soon :). Thanks again for your help.

mabroor-bajwa
I plan to stick around

Just an update they closed the ticket said the issue was resolved but I am still facing latency spikes especially during peak hours. Heres  a snippet below of some of the stats I am getting 

Capture.PNG

Ping statistics for 64.71.255.204:
Packets: Sent = 1478, Received = 1478, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Minimum = 4ms, Maximum = 925ms, Average = 24ms

mabroor-bajwa
I plan to stick around

Hi there,

Just an update the issue is still persistent I have had multiple technicians come over, they have told me the issue is with the lines in the neighborhood since all the lines are shared they cannot do much with the latency issue. It is unfortunate, but I guess I am stuck with this problem until I decide to move ISP's.  

mabroor-bajwa
I plan to stick around

Hey there,

Here are some results I am still getting please see below 

7to11pmgooglepingresults.PNG7to11pmpingresultsdns.PNGpingresultsgoogle.ca5pmto7pm.PNGpingresultssdns5pmto7pm.PNGpingspike12am.PNGpingspikesevening2.PNGhttps://pastebin.com/j4UaAvsa 

Above link is my traceroute result to google using winmtr

https://pingplotter.cloud/LiveShare/d1wcjbjomy9wmge5kegyj56j9a/1k19i1ah
Above can be used to see my network performance.

mabroor-bajwa
I plan to stick around

(Link to image removed - please upload images to the community using the posting tolls above the text box - RogersTony)

you will be able to use this link to see more results of my network

mabroor-bajwa
I plan to stick around

pingspike2.PNG

You can see above the issue is outside my local network, pinging to my modem my ping is less than 4ms. But I am getting huge ping spikes and packet loss to my rogers cmts (99.247.172.1) and pinging to my rogers primary DNS Server 64.71.255.204. As well as to Google and cloudfare.

mabroor-bajwa
I plan to stick around

pingspike3.PNG

@mabroor-bajwa your first pingplotter post shows packet loss for all of the targets beyond the modem.  That packet loss starts at the first hop beyond the modem, which is the CMTS.  Looking at the time of the plot, its in the 4 pm timeframe which is when kids arrive home from school and the neighbourhood node and CMTS loads increase.  Later on, at 9 pm, that packet loss isn't evident.  I'd expect to see packet loss in the evening as well, but, for whatever reason, related to the CMTS loads, it isn't present. 

mabroor-bajwa
I plan to stick around

Ihace run an analysis of the traceroutes it always shows an issue with my local cmts 99.247.172.1. It shows bandwidth Saturation from my cmts (Hop #2).sat.png

mabroor-bajwa
I plan to stick around

Hi team,

I have been able to resolve my solution but unfortunately I had to install a line with Bell. I got bell's vdsl line install with 50mbps download and 10mbps upload but my ping times are all fixes. I hope rogers can get their infrastructure upgraded as it was a pain to figure out this issue. bellinternet2.PNGbellinternet.PNG

mabroor-bajwa
I plan to stick around

It took 5 months and Rogers was unable to pinpoint the issue, and I was unable to get a resolution from Rogers. Glad at least this solution worked but it is unfortunate that Bells vdsl is better than rogers gigabit internet service in latency.

Topic Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation