cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New 1.5G tier with Usenet problems

Jelllo
I plan to stick around

Just upgraded from the Hitron modem, been on the 1 gig tier for years with no problems.
I have my usenet software set for 50 connections and it would saturate the connection and download all day at about 110 MB/s.
Got the XB7 and plugged into the 2.5 gig port. WOW my download speed doubled to 2 GIGABIT, but was short-lived as my speed dropped to 0 after about a minute.
When this happens, sometimes I have internet access and can do speed tests, and other times I lose everything and can't even ping rogers.com.
This lasts for a few minutes and then repeats.
Rogers sent out a tech and he checked everything over and replaced the modem, but the problem which I reproduced for him remained.
He seemed at a loss of what was going on as he said he is a hardware guy and this is a software problem, but he has heard of users not being able to play games and certain software programs being blocked.
I did some more testing and plugged into one of the 1 gig ports. The speed was not as stable as the Hitron modem, but never quit so went back to the 2.5 gig port and started to reduce the amount of connections I was using. Even with 20 connections, the speed was about 1.5 gigabit but would only last about a minute and then drop.
With 15 connections I can keep the speed below 1 gigabit and not get any dropouts.
I checked out the log files on the modem and found this:

FW.IPv6 INPUT drop , 77937 Attempts, 2022/12/21 08:19:35 Firewall Blocked

Could this be a problem with the firewall on the modem thinking there is an attack and shutting down? 
How do I get Rogers involved so they fix this problem?

Thanks for your input.

30 REPLIES 30

Re: New 1.5G tier with Usenet problems

Jelllo
I plan to stick around

I did the same. Set my download rate to 167500 in nzbget and no disconnects. But obviously it is only a temp solution. I will update this thread when I have more to share.

RogersIan
Product Manager
Product Manager

@Jelllo I am going to reach out to you privately for some further specifics on your issue.

Thanks
RogersIan

RogersIan
Product Manager
Product Manager

@Jelllo @piskapo30  Can you please share your setup with me.

Logs (messages and errors) from your client

Usenet server

Usenet Client
Newsgroup you are using

Thank you
RogersIan

Jelllo
I plan to stick around

I was working with RogersAdam and he told me the problem is we are hitting the upper limit of concurrent connections and they have no plans to change it.

RogersIan
Product Manager
Product Manager

That was one possibility we had thrown around during the initial discussions.

I wanted to get your specifics and take a look at what we can do in the lab for comparable testing.
Also if you could share the errors and messages in your news client would be helpful for us.
RogersIan

Jay_Alexander
I've been here awhile

Your issues sound identical to mine. Usenet user for a long time - all of a sudden I can no longer even connect to my newsgroup, along with having any sort of stable speed. My internet connection is now a joke. Support were unable to provide any help. 

Did you solve this? 

Jelllo
I plan to stick around

Doesn't sound like the problem I am having. If I throttle the speed everything works fine.

forcefed
I plan to stick around

I noticed since last week i'm getting slow speeds around 100mbps on usenet in the evenings, in the morning and noonish time its fine peaking at 1.5gbps but in the afternoon and evenings its slow again.

I contacted the server provider and we went over a bunch of stuff and they couldn't figure anything out other than traffic shaping by the isp.

Anyone else having this issue?

forcefed
I plan to stick around

Here i enabled a vpn, clearly rogers is traffic shaping usenet.

usenetvpnn.jpg

mj36
I plan to stick around

Just get rid of Rogers and move to a fiber internet provider. I had the same issues as above, they blamed me, restarted the modem, and told me to " give it time " speed will get better. I gave it over 9 months and had to cancelled service due to dropping internet impacting when I worked from home and my wifes business. Rogers proceeded to charge me a couple hundred fee for leaving....all because they did not provide the service their package promised to deliver. learned my lesson.... I was hesitant to use Rogers again....and unfortunately made a poor decision.....will NEVER use any of their products again.

Topic Stats
  • 30 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 10 in conversation