cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Slow Internet / Significant Packet Loss

hoboryan
I plan to stick around

Since Saturday, I've been experiencing intermittent slow internet. Most notably streaming (youtube etc.) will suddenly pause; games will timeout; surfing will slow down; teams meetings disconnect/pause.

I tracked it down to lost packets. My speeds in the speedtest app will generally be fine, though upload fluctuates a lot. My lost packets generally range from 10%-20%. I'm getting the same issue whether connected via wifi or directly through ethernet to the Roger's modem.

Took them 3-4 days to send a tech yesterday. He replaced the cable leading to the house, replaced the cable in the basement panel, and swapped out a new modem (the same CODA one). Same issue for me with the packet losses and degraded internet quality. 

He seemed glazed over when I was explaining the lost packets. He said he could see no probelm with the signal from the tests he ran (not sure what those tests were). He left, and I called Rogers again and they escalated it.

Today I received a text saying that they couldn't find the cause of the issue and gave me a case number. I called in and found out they closed the case without a resolution!!!

So got the tech to open another case and escalate again.

In early December, I noticed that Rogers ran a cable out of the green box on my curb, over my neighbours driveway, through some trees, and across the yard into another neighbour's house. Guessing it's temporary? This green box isn't fully covered up. Could the cold spell over the last week be the cause of these problems?

***Edited Labels***

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Intermittent Slow Internet / Significant Packet Loss

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Have a discussion with your neighbour.  If its the same problem, then that points to an issue at the local tap, which is housed within that green pedestal.  There is also the possibility that the problem is further upstream.  

During that discussion with your neighbour, ask if the temporary cable solved the problem?  It not, then my statement above applies, that the problem is either at the local tap, or further upstream.  That will require a Senior tech (real Rogers tech) or a Maintenance crew.  

Any discussion with tech support should include comments on your neighbours cable if that temporary cable did not solve the problem.  That should be a big hint to the tech that a Senior tech or Maintenance crew is required. 

hoboryan
I plan to stick around

Is it possible the temporary cable is used because there was no cable at all running from the tap to the neighbour's house? ie. They only just subscribed to Rogers' Internet and they had no cable so had to run the temp one in the winter?

It might be that there was an existing cable, but it was in bad shape, or that there wasn't any cable at all,  In either case, that would require a temporary cable.

It would still be worth a 5 min or less conversation to determine if your neighbours are suffering from the same problems, despite the new cable.  That would definitely point to a problem at the local tap or beyond. 

hoboryan
I plan to stick around

Thanks for the suggestion. will do that!

Any idea why Rogers doesn't check for lost packets? You would think they would be able to do that? Do their signal tests look at different criteria only??

hoboryan
I plan to stick around

So called again today and they escalated to a supervisor. Who pinged my modem and confirmed 10% packet loss (not sure if he was just making it up). He also pinged my neighbours and confirmed they had no packet loss.

They're sending a guy to put in a temporary cable from the curb under the assumption that the cable leading to my house is degraded. Who knows if it'll work.

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation