cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ingnite Modem / Router Subnet Mask

prdejong
I plan to stick around

I just finished the setup of my new ignite Modem / Router and id like to set the LANs Subnet mask to 255.255.252.0

The setup will only allow me to pull down and select from two options. It wont allow me to edit the individual octets.

***Added Labels***

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Ingnite Modem / Router Subnet Mask

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
That is correct. They have limited it with a drop down selection. I have 255.255.255.0 and 255.255.255.128

prdejong
I plan to stick around

that makes no sense why would they do that.

It is idiotic. what could possibly be the reason

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
Most people
1. Do not need a different subnet mask
2. Know of a different subnet mask than 255.255.255.0
I think 1 is the reason, it keeps things simple.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@prdejong wrote:

that makes no sense why would they do that.

It is idiotic. what could possibly be the reason

I don't know the exact reasons why Comcast would have made such a design choice; I can only guess.  It might be to simplify things for their end users... but it could also be simplify other things, such as device management or how they handle the IP address range for the DHCP scope.  I would send a private message to @CommunityHelps  to see if they can assist and submit a bug report.  If your networking needs exceed the XB6's capabilities, you may also have no choice but to enable bridge mode and use your own router.

prdejong
I plan to stick around
I disagree, if someone is in the router wanting to set the subnet mask you would think they have a clue. Besides is an editing box for each octet that over complicated for some to see.
I think not

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
You have obviously never done tech support 🙂

prdejong
I plan to stick around
Give me a break. OK, if you simply want me to agree with you then fine you're right.

To me its simply the subnet mask and i'm asking to have the ability to edit each octet away from the default. Which most devices allow.

You will not make me believe that is too complex when they allow many, much more complex things to be edited. For example you can setup Port forwarding and they publish instructions on how to do that yet they won't let me edit the octets come on.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@prdejong  Per my previous post, did you send a private message to @CommunityHelps  and report this issue so that they can, in turn, submit a bug report internally?

prdejong
I plan to stick around
Yes I did. As we all expected it will take a firmware revision. So I asked if they could put it forward to the powers at be. That's really all I can expect at this time
Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 in conversation