cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get the new Ignite Gigabit Internet

Loux
I plan to stick around

Hi,

each time a representative is telling me something different when I asked for the new Ignite Internet modem. The last one was that a technician needs to come 'to choose the right spot' LOL. The is a 29$ fee on the package for self install: "Ignite Self-Install:$29.00"

How can I switch from the old bad Wifi modem to the new one ? I just switch to Ignite 150u

Regards,

Quote from the transcript:

"A technician must come into the house as they do a thorough walkthrough in the household to see where the best placement of the modem will be."

***Edited Labels***

4 REPLIES 4

Re: How to get the new Ignite Gigabit Internet

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Loux wrote:

Hi,

each time a representative is telling me something different when I asked for the new Ignite Internet modem. The last one was that a technician needs to come 'to choose the right spot' LOL. The is a 29$ fee on the package for self install: "Ignite Self-Install:$29.00"

Are you only switching to Ignite Internet to get the XB6 gateway?  If you have the a 150u Internet service with a Hitron CGN3 modem, I can understand why you would like to upgrade it.  However, I think that you would be far better off switching to a Hitron CODA modem rather than the XB6.

Loux
I plan to stick around

Hi,

I don't know the difference. All I know is:

- I currently have the CGNM-3552 which has a bad Wifi coverage

- I was promised a newer modem when I signed for Ignite 150u two month ago ...

- Each time I talk to a Roger representative I've got different answers:

-- out of stock

-- need to be installed by a technician because of dangers/risks

-- need a technician to 'choose the right spot'

-- don't have the right Ignite package to upgrade

So I'm a little bit tired of this non sense (I know how to switch a coax modem with another coax modem thank you)

Regards,

Louis

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Loux  I think that there are multiple reasons why Rogers would want to send out a technician.  One would be to make sure that the installation is "clean" and that any old/obsolete/unnecessary components (splitters, unused coax runs, etc.) are removed.

If you are having Wi-Fi coverage issues, the Ignite XB6 modem combined with Ignite WiFi Pods will extend your coverage.  However, if the XB6 gateway and Pods are not installed in optimal locations, you will still have Wi-Fi issues.

Depending on what your Wi-Fi connectivity requirements are, you might even be better off disabling Wi-Fi on your Rogers modem and installing a Wi-Fi mesh network instead.

Wi-Fi is finnicky.  The 5GHz band has limited range and does not penetrate through building materials well.  The 2.4 GHz radio has a longer range but is blocked by metal and absorbed by water.  Your home's construction may affect your Wi-Fi coverage and if you have MANY busy active Wi-Fi networks in your immediate area, your Wi-Fi performance will also be impacted.  Switching to a different modem may not make much difference and if your home does make it challenging to install a Wi-Fi network that performs well, that's another reason to bring in a knowledgeable person to perform the installation.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

FYI, over the last few days, the @CommunityHelps  team has published a number of helpful WiFi-related blog posts:

You may also find the following Ars Technica article helpful as well:

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 in conversation