How to Set up Ignite Internet Without Smartphone

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

How to Set up Ignite Internet Without Smartphone

I have received my new Ignite internet modem. Unfortunately, I don't have a smart phone to install the app. Can the installation be done by a PC?

*Added Labels*

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: How to Set up Ignite Internet Without Smartphone

@MrAvis wrote:

I have received my new Ignite internet modem. Unfortunately, I don't have a smart phone to install the app. Can the installation be done by a PC?

Welcome to the Community!

Sure.  Connect the modem's coax port to the Rogers network, then power it up.  When the modem's status LED turns solid white, connect a computer to the modem using either an Ethernet cable or by WiFi.  (The default WiFi network name and passphrase are printed on the bottom.)  Using a web browser, go to http://10.0.0.1/ and log in as admin; the default password is "password".

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@MrAvis wrote:

Welcome to the Community!

Sure.  Connect the modem's coax port to the Rogers network, then power it up.  When the modem's status LED turns solid white, connect a computer to the modem using either an Ethernet cable or by WiFi.  (The default WiFi network name and passphrase are printed on the bottom.)  Using a web browser, go to http://10.0.0.1/ and log in as admin; the default password is "password".

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks. Will try this weekend. It's just that I will lose all connections to the outside world until I get the new network up. Hopefully, the old CODA will remain active in case I fail and have to go back to it. Thanks again.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@MrAvis  I don't think that Rogers will allow you to have two modems active on your account at the same time.  You may need to call Rogers (or send a private message to @CommunityHelps ) to activate your Ignite Internet account and XB6 gateway when you are ready to install it.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I was told recently by a Rogers Ignite installer that I needed to have a device with a camera in order to get Ignite installed. It appears not from everything I've read, including here? When asked why, he said its to take a picture of the modem's serial # tag. Its probably only a procedure he uses during a professional installation for some reason?

I also don't have a smartphone. I can't see needing any of the six highlighted features in the link below, except assigning a network name and password. Guests can still sign in as such to the network with the password? My interest would only be troubleshooting problems. What advantage does a smartphone give over a browser or tablet connected to the modem for this purpose? IE; perhaps if nothing is working, can a smartphone help diagnose?

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/bundles/ignite-wifi-hub

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I just completed my activation. It was flawless. I followed the instructions above. All I had to do was insert my wifi name and password and everything worked. The only issue I had was with a printer. It had a static ip. I released it and away it went. It's been on for two hours now. I even have Alexa with a number of devices. Everything works. Super easy and fast. Good job Rogers. I am told the app has a lot of features, but I'm not going to buy a smartphone for that.

PS. Before I do anything, I thank God first. He makes everything go smooth. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dougjp  The mobile app is required to activate Ignite WiFi Pods, and many users like the convenience of using a mobile app to manage their network.  I think the mobile app also allows you to activate the modem using your phone's data connection, and scanning with the camera streamlines the installation process and saves the user from tedious data entry.

If you are not going to be installing Ignite WiFi Pods, then (as far as I know) using the mobile app is optional.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you. I would be getting a Rogers installer to set my Ignite up. There may well be WiFi Pods, as a Roku currently shows a weak signal in one location.

We have a tablet that meets the Rogers operating system requirement that an app could be installed in, and it has a camera. It connects only by WiFi, as most of them do. Does the mobile app have to be installed in a device (ie; phone) that has its separate data connection, in order to activate WiFi Pods, or will our tablet connected to the Ignite modem allow this? The reason for asking is, at some point like a power outage, it may be necessary to do something.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

easy internet setup with rogers
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: My message # 8 above, as I suspect one or more wifi pods will be installed, does this eliminate getting Ignite if one doesn't have a smartphone? It would be a professional installation where the pods are activated initially by the installer.

My options to alter or correct subsequent problems with any setup changes or troubleshooting issues are (a) desktop computer ethernet access to setup, (b) laptop ethernet or wifi access to setup, or (c) tablet with app connected only via wifi (ie; not its own phone service). So the pods work initially and I'm trying to understand what access would be required and why. Does the Hub show the various devices attached including pods, and if one doesn't show as working, then powering it off and on should connect it or its a faulty pod?