How to Set up Ignite Internet Without Smartphone

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RogersLaura

Re: How to Set up Ignite Internet Without Smartphone

Hello @dougjp,

Those are all very good questions! We'll do our best to help clarify! 🙂

I understand that you are planning to have a technician visit your home to install your Ignite TV bundle service and possibly add Ignite WiFi Pods with your set up. Installation and use of the Ignite WiFi Pods requires the following equipment:

• An Ignite WiFi Gateway modem, available exclusively with select Ignite Internet packages and bundles
  • An Ignite WiFi Hub app installed on a Bluetooth-enabled phone with a compatible operating system:
    • iOS 11 or later
    • Android 6.0 or later
  • A MyRogers account to access Ignite WiFi Hub

The Ignite WiFi Hub app can be used on a tablet once the service has been set up successfully or you can log in on the website (ignitewifi.rogers.com) as well. The pods will show a green status when they are online. If a pod is offline, select the pod followed by Help Me Fix It. Follow the displayed instructions and then Retest Connection.

I hope you find this information useful! 🙂

RogersLaura

dougjp
I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersLaura  Thank you, almost "there", for me to get it..... So once pods are installed, there is never a need to use a smartphone, correct? And;

As 66% of seniors like myself don't own smartphones, a self install of Ignite, IF that turns out to require pod(s), is therefore impossible. For a professional install though, is the installer's Bluetooth enabled phone used to install pods if they are found to be needed?   

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dougjp  The Ignite modem can be installed and configured using a web browser.  However the Pods need to be installed using the Ignite WiFi app, and that app needs to be logged into YOUR MyRogers account.  Although you can use the Ignite WiFi Hub web site to manage Ignite WiFi, it was meant to be managed through the mobile app.

You don't need to run the Ignite WiFi app on a mobile phone; a tablet will do, and there are plenty of Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals out there where you can get a decent, top-brand Android tablet in the $120 - $150 price range.  Note that the Ignite WiFi App will not currently run on Amazon Fire tablets; find one that runs a current version of Android OS so that you can install apps from the Google Play Store.  Most tablets these days should support Bluetooth.

If you want to stick to configurations that can be installed and managed from a desktop computer, Rogers techs may still carry WiFi Range Extenders in their trucks... although I do not recommend going down that road.

east0027
I've Been Here Awhile

I was having problems with legacy internet service so Support suggested a switch to Ignite. I explained that I had no smartphone or tablet to download the "app". He said that's okay, we'll give you instructions. I got the hardware today, but the instructions just say, "Download the app to your smartphone or tablet." I called Support, but hung up after being on hold for 25 minutes. Can anyone tell me if I can install this thing without an app download? 

RogersMoin

Hello, @east0027.

Welcome to Rogers Community Forums! 

Even though the preferred way to set up the Ignite WiFi Gateway modem is through the Ignite WiFi Hub app, you should be able to do as suggested in the solution post of this thread. 

I hope you had a chance to check the solution post and follow it to set up your modem. 

Let us know if you need further help. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

east0027
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you! I followed the instructions in this thread and it worked well!  🙂