cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I fix it so that I don't get doubles of every email I receive?

ptittefolle
I've been here awhile

I have no idea how to fix the fact that all my incoming emails with yahoo are doubled.  Meaning they are in my inbox twice.  Or sometimes one will come into my inbox and the same email will also be in the spam.  How do I fix it so that I don't get doubles of every email I receive?

*Edited Labels*

16 REPLIES 16

Re: How do I fix it so that I don't get doubles of every email I receive?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Would need a little more info

How/where are you getting the email?

Is this in the webmail?
Or is it in windows mail, outlook, other email program, etc.

ptittefolle
I've been here awhile

It's happening with every email that comes in.  I get it twice.

I'm not technically literate, so I don't understand your other questions, sorry.  

All I know is that I have my yahoo mail icon attached to my favorites bar and use that to get into my Rogers yahoo email account.  I log in, and voila, 2 of everything in my inbox.

Ok, so you are accessing it via the website it sounds like.
Your clicking on the favorites bar in your web browser?

(vs the other methods i asked, were by accessing via a specific program and not via the website)

Most of my things to check, would be for with the programs... its very odd that you are getting TWO in the webmail..

BS
I'm a senior advisor

@ptittefolle  I did a bit of researching on your issue, and it appears that you are not unique in this problem.

Most speak of the duplicates occurring when using a client on your computer, or your phone to bring the email to your computer or device, while leaving the original on the Yahoo server, but this is not what you are doing.

But you are not alone in this.

It has been popping up in threads for many years now, and there are only one that stands out to me as a possibility.

First may I ask, when did this start?

The suggestion is that there may be a corrupted email on the server, and they suggest to download all of your files to an email client, say like Windows Mail on a Windows computer (if you search how to set up a yahoo account on Windows mail via google search, you will get step by step directions on how to do that).

In the setup, you want to download all email from the server and delete the copy on the server.  That will remove all email from your yahoo account, but they are stored on your computer or device now.  Or you can select all of the email in your account in the web mail and delete them all.

Get someone to send you a test message afterwards, or use a second email account if you have one and see if that fixes it.

That is the only suggestion I could find, and unfortunately the thread I read didn't have a follow-up message to the suggestion to know if it worked.

Beyond that, got me!!

Bruce

ptittefolle
I've been here awhile
Thank you so much for the information. I appreciate the instructions. I have not tried your suggestion yet; it's something I'll have to psych myself up to do as I'm not very fluent in "computer"!

Hi @ptittefolle,

Welcome to the Community!

Have you had a chance to try the steps listed by BS? If yes, then did it work for you?

Please keep us posted.

RogersZia

BS
I'm a senior advisor

@ptittefolle  No rush from my perspective - it is definitely not a new one, and many have had difficulty with it, but since no-one has yet provided their result to this suggestion, it would be a good try and beneficial to all.

But I also know this solution requires some thinking and care in order to ensure integrity of your email. With over 6000 emails in my accout, it is not a task I would be eager to do.

But would love to hear how it goes.

Bruce

borford
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

One thing that I can think of, but how it would have been done might remain a mystery is if webmail was setup to keep a copy and then forward it to the same email address.

Edited, Now that I think of it, that would setup endless copies of the same email, so that wouldn't be the cause????

I was able to duplicate the issue on a test email account.

I went to settings / accounts / clicked on the email account / went to forwarding at the bottom and added the test email account and selected store and forward.

When I created and sent an email to the same account, duplicates showed up in the inbox a few minutes later.

I you are unable to follow the steps to check this setting, contact tech support @CommunityHelps and ask them to check your forwarding options. They will need to temporarily change your email password but it can be reset within the webmail or at rogershelp.ca/reset.

Brian

Update: As of June 01, 2017, the direct website to change the Rogers email password is rogersmembercentre.com/change/

BS
I'm a senior advisor

I tried to replicate and I was unable to get the verification email to arrive in the test email box in order to verify it as the forwarding address.  Although I could not do the verification step, it still allowed the forwarding without the verification.  And it did create duplicates.

Another reason for why I have stopped using the rogers yahoo account - it really is a very poorly managed email system and if major companies like Rogers and others dropped them, they would die.  I suspect the current offer to buy them, is to just get the customer base, not the service.

But hope this turns out to be the solution for @ptittefolle  It will be easier than the one suggested on the Internet that I reported above.

Again, interested in knowing if this turns out to be the issue.  It certainly is an odd one, and in absence of the verification email, it shouldn't, in principle even be able to forward to its same account.  I know of no other email system that allows you to email to your own account.  As I said, this one is just weird and poor design.

Bruce

User14
I'm a trusted contributor

It is now 2019 but this relates to the 2017 discussion. 

Last week my wife indicated that she would see her Rogers email in her SENT FOLDER   twice. She said that she did not change her settings.  I set up her Rogers email in OUTLOOK 2016 a couple of years ago on her PC and there were no problems until now.  I tried sending an email to myself (I don't use Rogers email but I do have an account). Sure enough, the email showed up immediately in her SENT folder, then about 1 minute later the same identical email with the same time showed up in her SENT folder as well.  I only received the ONE test email.   I tried Google for suggested OUTLOOK fixes and it seems that all the OUTLOOK settings are okay.  I also use Outlook so all my settings are similar and I don't get double sent indications in my SENT folder.  

I was wondering if anyone @borford @Gdkitty  had any suggestion regarding the IMAP settings for Rogers/Yahoo?  She does have an identical @yahoo.com  email address.  Perhaps the Yahoo servers can not distinguish between @rogers.com and @yahoo.com  so she gets two SENT indications.   All her emails are on her PC so I can delete all her server emails as BS suggested.  Before I do that however, I wanted to ask those who dealt with this issue before.  

Greetings and good morning @User14!

Try this...

Go to File > Account Settings > Manage Profiles. Click the Email accounts button, double click on your account then click More settings.

There's a setting here with a tick box labelled "Do not save copies of sent items". If this setting isn't turned on, turn it on and then try another test email to see if the duplicate appearing in Sent Items stops.

Regards,

RogersCorey

User14

Thanks Corey,

That helped me to figure it out.  I clicked/checked:  "Don't save copies of sent items"  (see IMAP Account Settings below),   but read on for the Outlook Settings... 

Sent copy setting.jpg

This stopped the DOUBLE emails showing up in the SENT FOLDER from the Rogers/Yahoo server.  BTW The receiver only gets one message, not two. 

Meanwhile there is still a copy kept in your SENT FOLDER triggered by the Outlook Settings.

(See Outlook Options below)

Note: She also said she only got DOUBLE copies of her sent emails when it was an ORIGINAL email. She didn't get DOUBLE copies when "replying" to someone. FWIW, because I didn't verify this. It is back to what she wants.

Cheers.

Sent copy setting #2.jpg

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm using Outlook on POP and for many years I have not seen any sent items ending up in Webmail when I use Outlook on my computer.  If I create a message and send it in Webmail, then the e-mail (obviously?) ends up in my Webmail sent folder (as read - not in bold).

Since November 1, 2019 the e-mails I create/send in Outlook are now ending up in the Webmail Sent folder.  They show up there in bold (unread).  This is  "new" and Rogers/Yahoo must have changed something on November 1.

If I create a new message in Webmail, it doesn't end up in Outlook Sent folder. This is exactly as it was before, but I would actually prefer if these did end up in Outlook (I don't use Webmail much - only when I travel or to check the spam folder about once a week to see if there is any real mail there).  I realize that if I changed to IMAP things would change, but I prefer to stay on POP for several reasons.

I don't get any duplicates as mentioned in the posts above by @User14 , however, I thought I'd mention that something has changed at Rogers/Yahoo (POP)

User14

@57 wrote:

Since November 1, 2019 the e-mails I create/send in Outlook are now ending up in the Webmail Sent folder.  They show up there in bold (unread).  This is  "new" and Rogers/Yahoo must have changed something on November 1.

I don't get any duplicates as mentioned in the posts above by @User14 , however, I thought I'd mention that something has changed at Rogers/Yahoo (POP)

My wife doesn't create a new messages in Webmail, so she hasn't mentioned sent emails not ending up in her Outlook Sent folder.  I'll go to the Yahoo website and test it and let you know. I am sure she would like her emails to end up in her Outlook Sent folder using Outlook or Yahoo webmail. 

It seems regardless of IMAP or POP, something has changed at the Rogers/Yahoo server end because her SENT emails now show up in her Outlook SENT FOLDER as unread (BOLD).  She wants me to fix this!   I tried reversing the Outlook and Yahoo Server settings to see if the emails show up from the server in Outlook as read (unbold). They still end up unread (BOLD) regardless of the settings.

Anyone know a trick to make her sent emails automatically show up as read (unbold) in her Outlook folder? 

User14

Regarding tests using OUTLOOK and my @rogers.com email address, I found that I received two copies of the email in my Outlook Sent Folder. (Basically, the problem my wife initially complained about. Solution mentioned above.) 

One sent copy indicated "read" and the other "unread".  So that's new! The Lithium folks must have changed something at the server end to cause this duplication. The "unread" would arrive after the "read" copy but it would appear in folder before the "read" copy. For TEST 8 note that I did the screen capture (image below) before the second copy arrived about 20-45 seconds later.  I assume the "read" copy is generated by Outlook settings, and the "unread" copy is generated by the Yahoo-Rogers IMAP or POP settings.  

Outlook Sent FolderOutlook Sent Folder

If you are wondering what it looks like in the Rogers-Yahoo webmail Sent Folder, here you go.

Rogers Yahoo Sent FolderRogers Yahoo Sent Folder

Topic Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 8 in conversation