Hitron CODA 4582 - exchange for XB6

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Hitron CODA 4582 - exchange for XB6

Why can’t I exchange my Coda-4582 modem for the XB6? I don’t subscribe to Rogers cable service, only gigabit internet.

I just had fibre lines buried throughout my subdivision, hopefully this means Bell gigabit service will be available soon.

*Added Labels*

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Hitron CODA 4582 - exchange for XB6

Simple answer, at the present time, the XB6 modems are reserved for Ignite TV service only, period, full stop.  

Better answer, if you exchanged the CODA- 4582 for the Arris TGR-3482ER, you're not gaining anything as both are Intel Puma 7 modems, and personal opinion, Hitron has been dealing with Puma 7 idiosyncrasies  longer than Arris has.  

The only gain would be to exchange the CODA-4582 for the Technicolor CGM-4140, simply because ..... the CGM-4140 is a Broadcom BCM-3390 chipset modem, not an Intel product.  The 4140 should simply be a much better modem, in theory ......

The problem with exchanging the 4582 for either XB6 modem, you end up with uncontrolled Wifi networks running off of the modem no matter which mode the modem in running in, Gateway or Bridge mode.  Its interesting that no one seems to be keen on this idea, except for Comcast, Rogers and Shaw.  Personal opinion, I'll keep the 4582, running in Bridge mode, with no extraneous wifi networks running..

At the present time, it doesn't matter as Rogers has its own rules regarding which modem is available for particular services. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ASimkins  Given the choice, I would rather have a Technicolor TC4400 modem (or any modem/gateway that has a true bridge mode) over any variant of the XB6.  The XB6 Gateway was designed to be the hub for Comcast's "connected home" suite of service offerings, not a pure, simple DOCSIS modem, so it doesn't have a true bridge mode nor does Rogers even officially support it in that configuration.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Is it possible to get the Technicolor TC4400 without Ignite TV?
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ASimkins wrote:
Is it possible to get the Technicolor TC4400 without Ignite TV?

Actually, that was just wishful thinking on my part.  You can't get the TC4400 at all from Rogers; it's only available to TPIA customers... and Ignite TV customers can only get the XB6 gateway.

The TC4400's status is also a bit questionable.  I think that they have confirmed that it's vulnerable to the Cable Haunt exploit... and that's worrisome for current owners because (as far as I know) Rogers will not push firmware updates to a TPIA's CPE.