cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Aria scale-

iponting
I'm here a lot

Good afternoon. We have had the ignite installation for about 1 week. I cannot connect our Fitbit Aria scale to the new network. I have spoken with Fitbit and was told that it will only work with a 2,4ghz connection. I then spoke with Rogers concierge and was informed that the new ignite router will handle both 5 and 2.4ghz. No problem connecting my Fitbit Icon. Has anyone been able to connect their Aria scale to their network via the new ignite modem? Any help will be appreciated.

***EDITED LABELS***

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Fitbit Aria scale-

RogersMoin

Hello, @iponting

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 🙂

Thank you for posting your query in the Community. Unable to connect your Fitbit Aria Scale to the new WiFi network can certainly be inconvenient. It's true the new XB6 modem supports both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands. 

Is your scale the first generation? At what point does the setup fail?

Community - has anyone successfully connect the Fitbit Aria Scale to the new Ignite network?

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Hi Roger: Thanks for your reply. I get to the final step which is to reconnect to my network. Message is network not found and the scale during this process scrolls networks detected, when process fails the message on the scale reverts to setup active. Fitbit support said it ws probably looking for a 2.4ghz connection but I'm told that the new ignite modem will auto connect to 2.4ghz. 

Only thing I can suggest..

In most cases now, people are setting the SSIDs for their wireless, on both the 2.4 and the 5.  That way it most devices will just pick up whatever they are able to (usually preferring the 5).

One option might be to log into the modem, and then change the names on one of them.
It will then show up on your local networks as 2 different things.

But should allow you to more specifically connect to the 2.4 specifically without it potentially getting confused, etc at the 5.

I renamed 2.4 connection as suggested. I couldn't connect. I called Rogers and Fitbit again to discover that the Aria requires 802.11 B or BGN, neither of which are available on the Ignite modem. So still looking for a solution.

Tnks

Ian

How do I log into the new motem? I was not given anything after the install

@iponting wrote:

I renamed 2.4 connection as suggested. I couldn't connect. I called Rogers and Fitbit again to discover that the Aria requires 802.11 B or BGN, neither of which are available on the Ignite modem. So still looking for a solution.

Tnks

Ian

@iponting
Sorry, was away for vacation and never came back to this thread.

You might be in a bit of a sore spot.   WHY the Aria would be using a B connection is beyond me.  B has not been a main standard for.. has to be 8+ years?  
I have been seeing more and more modems phase it out of there.. that your seeing only G/N/AC now.. with the ability to go only N/AC and even remove the G.

Unfortunately, i dont think there really IS a solution.. bar setting up a cheap wireless access point, which has B capabilities.. JUST for the scale.

@Bearswife wrote:
How do I log into the new motem? I was not given anything after the install

You will need to go to the wepage of your modem.  
Depending on WHICH modem you got, how it was set up.. could usually be one of 3 pages.

http://192.168.0.1
http://192.168.1.1

http://10.0.0.1

Once there, you will need to log into it.

If you are via one of the two first links, you would want to use

cusadmin - for the user name
'password' or your if it was changed, your wireless password, for the Password.

If its the 3rd link

admin - for the user name

your wireless password for the password.

Thank you for your reply. I contacted Fitbit and they helped me out with a new Fitbit Aria2 which works fine with the new Rogers Modem. I was thinking that I could connect the replaced modem to the new modem and use that for the Aria1, since I already have the Sam Knows setup(3rd party monitoring of Rogers internet) and it seems to be working as far as I can tell.  

Anf
I've been around
By looking at this thread, I just want to confirm that there is no solution to connecting Aria to Ignite internet without getting a new Aria scale?
That really sucks...

BS
I'm a senior advisor

WHY the Aria would be using a B connection is beyond me.  B has not been a main standard for.. has to be 8+ years? 

Unfortunately, i dont think there really IS a solution.. bar setting up a cheap wireless access point, which has B capabilities.. JUST for the scale.

Well, when you consider that last years Nest products are N 2.4 only, I would suspect that a lot of these IoT companies are building their products with bottom of the barrel networking parts in them.

The new Aria 2 scale markets specifically that it has a wider range of network connections available, so suspect that they are in an indirect way saying, buy only the 2, not any original ones kicking around.

By the way, B and A was 1999, G was 2003, N was 2009 and AC was 2013.  In an article by Cisco, they were advising in 2014 to phase out b devices.  So, don't know the first year of distribution of the aria, but that is only 2014 that Cisco recommended phasing it out given that G and N had been around since 2003 and 2009, and AC was just out then.

So slipping in hardware that only supports one of the standards, like B for the Aria and N for the Nest E keeps their production costs down, but unfortunately, a lot of people will be stuck without wireless connection on new routers or gateways.  Nest for example lists a whole range of routers that are not compatible with the various devices on their site.

Yes, you could for about 39.00 or a bit lower get an access point (not a repeater setup), but that means you need Ethernet to connect it too so you can get b/g/n/ac connections.  My access point fortunately has that full option.  Obsolescence hits all of our stuff sooner or later unfortunately.

I recommend that when one is looking at new routers or access points, or Ignite and newer gateways from any company, that you check the specs on both the router and the device to see if they will be compatible.  Glad that @iponting got a new one - I have found that Fitbit has great support and helps people through these struggles with very clear cut recommendations.  I rate them as having the best tech support and customer support of any company I have dealt with.

Bruce

Bruce

iponting
I'm here a lot

I couldn't find any method(I'm no expert) so I contacted Fitbit and rec'd a new scale.

@iponting
You received a new scale? They replaced your old one? Or you purchased on?

Old smart scale can’t connect to WiFi

Hi there,

I recently upgraded to ignite WiFi.  I have a first generation Fitbit aria, which can’t seem to connect to my WiFi.  It works on an 802.11b network.  Wondering if the ignite modem supports that protocol.  I’ve gone into the settings using a web browser, and I can’t seem to change the mode for either the 2.4 or 5 band.

Thanks in advance.

Hello @goaltender,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for posting your inquiry!

I know it's inconvenient that you're unable to connect your Fitbit Aria Scale to the WiFi. XB6 modem doesn't support b protocol. A user did mention contacting Fitbit about this issue (see MESSAGE OF 14). It could be something you can look into as well.

RogersZia

Another issue that arises with some of these devices.. is many of these b only devices, going back that far, do not support any of the newer wifi security protocols.

Let alone having WPA2, many do not even support WPA.

EG:  I have a video game/console collection.  I have quite a number of 'gameboys' including all DS models.
These only work on wireless b.   But on top of that, they only support WEP, which you wont even see as an option anymore as its VERY insecure.

Topic Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 9 in conversation