cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre to the Home

HockeyFam4
I've been here awhile

Rogers was awarded the contract to provide Fibre Optic to my neighbourhood. The installation was supposed to be early 2024. Can anyone help with providing an updated installation schedule?
Thanks

**Labels updated**

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Fibre to the Home

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I would try calling the contact number on https://www.rogers.com/internet/fibre-powered

I believe that this team can handle inquires about all construction-related activities.

HockeyFam4
I've been here awhile
I tried calling and they couldn’t answer about the schedule or timeline.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I don't know what to say.  I had heard (from techs doing FTTH deployments for Rogers) that my neighbourhood would be all fibre by the end of 2020.  That never came to be.  As far as I can tell, with rare exceptions, Rogers is pretty much only running fibre in new subdivisions, and even overbuilding in some of their competitors' territories.  Elsewhere, in neighbourhoods served by coax, it looks like the best that we can hope for from Rogers is DOCSIS 4.0.

HockeyFam4
I've been here awhile
My area is not served by coax. We currently have LTE wireless to our house. That’s the reason for wanting Fibre asap.

Fedup8
I've been here awhile

Rogers has a "Resident Expert". Really? Then tell me this... I have the so called "Fibre Optic service". Right now, as we speak, I am connected to the 2.5 GB service and have been for days. Here's the problem, NO problems at my house or with the equipment yet I cannot get the associated speed. I take speed test every  hour and the service is so degraded it is an insult to me as a customer. I have had a Tech here yesterday and even he says it's a joke.

Now... here's the 6 thousand dollar question... WHY? And NO... it hasn't been fixed at all.

BELL is looking pretty good right now.

@Fedup8 you should have a small Nokia Optical Network Terminal that connects via ethernet to an XB8 modem via the modem's port 4 (lower right hand port).  The ONT must be connected to the modem's port 4 as that port is a dual WAN/LAN port and it will operate as a firewalled port when connected to the ONT.  The ONT and modem will run 2.5 Gb/s between them, regardless of the internet plan speed that your running. 

The problem with this Comcast configuration is that the other ports on the modem only provide 1 Gb/s, so, unless you're running Wifi 6e, you're not going to see anything near 2.5 Gb/s.  

The only real way to see 2.5 Gb/s thru the ONT, to an end device, is to replace the modem with a router that has 2.5 Gb/s WAN and LAN ports or multi-gig ports that can higher data rates.  And if you have more than one LAN device that is capable of 2.5 Gb/s, you're going to need a multi-gig switch behind the router.  Just to note, if you're using house ethernet cabling, typically Cat-5e unless you have a recently built house, you need to make sure that all of the cabling is connected and tested to support 1 Gb/s end to end.  That cabling should support multi-gig ops as the transmitter and receiver at both end use a different waveform to run multi-gig data rates over Cat-5e and higher. 

The one problem with fibre optics is that its not infallible.  All it takes is a bad fibre splice to result in poor service, and that splice can be anywhere in the fibre path.  

What did the techs say about the signal levels from the optical cable?  Are they within spec? And if they are, that points to a network issue further upstream. 

One item to check for is to ensure that the ethernet cable between the ONT and modem is connected to the modem's port 4 (lower right hand port).  If its connected to ports 1 to 3, you will end up with an unstable configuration that is also a security hazard as ports 1 to 3 are not firewalled.  We've seen this come up before.

Fedup8
I've been here awhile

The Tech went through EVERYTHING he could possibly check here, including my CAT8 cable, and everything to this house and in it is perfect. As far as the port connections, they are where they need to be. I'm being told that there is a "Node" for my neighborhood that needs maintenance or troubleshooting that hasn't happened... it's been 4 days of crap. for service and all of a sudden. Speeds dropped from over 1.5 Gbps to sub 300 Mbps

I could watch video in 4K for one single day, now it's barely 720p.

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation