Extremely slow internet 1Gbps service less than 200 Mbps over the last 2 years

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Extremely slow internet 1Gbps service less than 200 Mbps over the last 2 years

Hi stepy, I use Norton 360, and this is my 6th CODA modem. My system is routinely scanned for both virus and Malware using Malwarebytes.

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Extremely slow internet 1Gbps service less than 200 Mbps over the last 2 years

Datalink originally you had asked me to drill down into the network adaptor card settings and I did post back but this morning thought to do so again and provide maybe a more useful presentation of my setup. SYSTEM.png

I Plan to Stick Around

For anyone who may be interested in my speeds here is a test of speed checks, my Rogers service is 1G. Four tests were done using for the most part 4 browsers. All Ethernet tests were done using CAT 6 cable directly to CODA modem where only port used was the port to the computer. The second test was done by booting into Linux Ubuntu and using firefox with a direct Ethernet connection same Nic card obviously. The WiFi tests were done with the CODA 2.4 and 5 GHz radio's, my computer card only gets 2.4 at a max speed of 150 Mbps. However I have a D-link usb 5Ghz Wifi card that I used to test the speeds the D-Link is capable of a max speed of 300 Mbps.

Speed Results.png

I Plan to Stick Around

Sorry if this is a re-post but the details of my system's ethernet card and wifi card didn't seem to show so am re-posting picture:SYSTEM.png

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mikemeddings1, yup that list of advanced settings is what I was after.  When you have some time, can you check that list against the settings that are present in the Advanced Settings tab just to see if there are any in the tab that don't show up in that list?  If so, can you let me know what they are and what they are set to? 

I Plan to Stick Around

Morning Datalink, I may not be following you correctly, when I look at the Advanced Tab for the Realtek ethernet adaptor card, I listed all the Options on the left column and what they are selected to in the right hand column. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Is this last listing done thru Windows Powershell, or is that a manually created list?  If its manually created by going thru the advanced settings tab with its options and their current settings, that's what I'm looking for.  Just want to make sure that I'm seeing all of the settings options.

I Plan to Stick Around

It is a manual listing for both adaptors.

I Plan to Stick Around

Normally I use my onboard wifi 2.4 Ghz to connect to the internet, and the Chrome browser. So what I see with my 1Gb Rogers service is 4% of the theoretical maximum of service or 25% of what is the wifi’s maximum speed.

Equally well if I hook up via Ethernet cable I get 18% of the theoretical max 1Gbps. But Firefox, using the exact same PCI card gets me 57%? Don’t understand this but it does occur.

Then to add a whole bunch of confusion to the mix is what happens when I boot into Linux, same card no changes and I get 95% of the maximum speed. This is just beyond my knowledge or skillset to understand, if anything I have seen people saying using Linux their connection is slower than in windows.

As I’ve said normally I will connect using wifi, on my phones with the speed being between 4%-11% the connection can be so bad that my phone will switch between wifi and Mobile Data just to preserve a connection.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mikemeddings1 I haven't forgotten about you.  I've been a little distracted trying to address slow performance issues with other users.  I've had to go the Ubuntu route as well for test purposes so I absolutely understand what you're seeing in the speedtest results.  Over the last two weeks I've noticed a drop in test speeds using the www.speedtest.net Rogers Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal servers, dropping down to somewhere around 600 to 700 Mb/s.  Vmedia Toronto and Ebox Montreal have been fine running around 900 to 930 Mb/s.  These were all run using Windows 10 Pro.  Using Ubuntu, I was seeing the same results, however, today, the Rogers Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal servers popped back up to 900+ Mb/s.  So, there is some strange issue with the www.speedtest.net results that is probably adding to the confusion. 

I'm just wondering if you've made any progress with this issue?  I'd like to take a look at your advanced adapter settings list from your previous post later today, and post some changes to try.