cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit WI-FI Configuration on Ignite Router

DSHW
I've been here awhile
I am trying to manage the wifi configuration settings on my Rogers Ignite Router and all settings are locked.  There is a message at top of screen stating: 

Wi-Fi Mode, Security Mode, Channel Selection, Channel Mode, and Channel Bandwidth are being managed automatically to help optimize your home Wi-Fi network and improve Wi-Fi coverage.

Any idea how to stop this "automatic management" and unlock ability to modify settings?

***Edited Labels***

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Edit WI-FI Configuration on Ignite Router

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@DSHW  Please see the explanation that I posted in another thread: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/How-to-set-wifi-channel-on-Technicolor-XB6/m-p/46590...

As far as I know, the only way to regain full control over your WiFi settings is to sign out of (and stop using) the Ignite WiFi Hub web and mobile apps, disconnect your Ignite WiFi Pods, perform a factory reset on your Ignite Gateway and set the gateway up from scratch using a web browser on your computer.

DSHW
I've been here awhile
Thanks for the response.. I was worried this would be the case.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@DSHW  When you have Pods installed, having all Wi-Fi channels automatically managed isn't necessarily bad.  However, I understand the frustration of not having any visibility into what the system is doing or how well things are working.

rkailey
I've been here awhile

In the past I was able to change the channel and bandwidth settings manually to optimize the performance but now it seems its locked and says it's done automatically??  The performance of my wifi has dropped and it's very slow.

Is anyone else having the same issue, not being able to change wifi settings?

pmnb
I've been around

I have the same problem.   There is a Bell modem across the hall in my building with the same 5GHz channel assignment

rkailey
I've been here awhile

I couldn't get mine to work and ended up buying my own gaming router that was on sale at Bestbuy.

lendoren1
I've been here awhile

I looked through quite a few threads dealing with the topic, and will go thru a few scenarios I've gone thru with Rogers support.

I think I've understood that with band steering turned "on", most wireless devices in a residential setting will connect, and operate fine. That seemed to be the case for all the wireless devices in the household.  All, that is, except for one device - an irrigation controller.

The network with band steering turned on doesn't seem to work for that specific wireless irrigation controller. I was told by the landscape installers (during the installation a year ago when the controller seemed to have trouble connecting to the modem) that the it required a 2.4G network, and it was not maintaining a connection to the network for some reason. So, I got a non-rogers extender, and with a little fiddling, it connected to the irrigation controller on the 2.4G network, and everything was fine.

But now, after having the new Ignite internet installed, and with help from tech support, because of some connectivity issues with the devices in the house, it was suggested that band steering should be off. It was explained to me that even with having the two networks named differently, wireless devices could still dynamically switch between the two networks when required for connectivity. The only devices really needing dynamic switching between networks specifically as far as I'm aware, are our cell phones. That wasn't happening as far as I could tell.

Anyway, a subsequent call to support advised, to resolve the issue, devices requiring to be specifically on the 2.4G network, could lock into that signal if band steering was turned off, and then once band steering was again enabled, that device would retain it's connection to 2.4G.  That doesn't seem to be the case with the irrigation controller.

So, I'm asking if there is any way I can assign the 2.4G network to that device specifically, with band steering enabled? Or, do I have to separate the signals by turning band steering off, and deal with manually having to switch the cell phones 2.4G and 5G when required for wireless connectivity ?

Sorry for the long story. Hope I've been understood, as clearly I'm not a tech. 😉

Greetings @lendoren1!

As far as I'm aware, there is no way to specifically assign a device to 2.4G without disabling band steering.

If you have an older device that only works on 2.4G, you'll have to disable band steering.

Regards,

RogersCorey

lendoren1
I've been here awhile

That's what I figured. And since starting this thread, I've discovered another wireless device not responding. 🙄

The funny thing is, prior to enabling band steering, Rogers tech advised all devices needing 2.4G would lock on to that signal, and when band steering was enabled, the devices needing 2.4G would still be locked on that signal. That may not be the case. 

Eferrier
I plan to stick around

I have the exact same issue, well not exact. My Ring video doorbell connects to both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. However, for some reason, when connected to 5 GHz I get streaming error when trying to view live but works well when I force it to 2.4 GHz. I force it by turning off the 5 GHz band and then after everything connects, turning it back on. But then Ring goes back and connects to 5 GHz. I wish I could force it to stay on 2.4 GHz.

in your homeConnect app, tap on "Connect" section on the bottom. Then tap your wifi name, then "Edit WIFI settings" on the bottom. you will see a switch called "Slip bands" on the bottom. turn it on, then set your 2.4G wifi into another name like "XXXX_2.4G". then you can connect your doorbell with that wifi, that should fix your problem

Topic Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 8 in conversation