Devices connecting to pods

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rene7
I've Been Around

Re: Devices connecting to pods

Is the pod your trying to connect to between the modem and the other pods? If so the antennas may be being used to connect the two other pods. As they only have 2x2 antennas..without getting too technical unplug all the pods and plug only one in and retest. If you plug the other two back and after a little bit same problem. That is likely what's happening. Solution have the main gateway moved to a more central location and you may not even need pods or the pods can be relocated and all connected with good strength to the 5g signal.from the main gateway.
mattdemarte
I've Been Here Awhile

Is there a way to force devices to connect to wifi pods instead of the modem itself? We were told to install 3 pods but none of the devices connect where I need them to and the internet is still garbage. So. Frustrating.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mattdemarte wrote:

Is there a way to force devices to connect to wifi pods instead of the modem itself? We were told to install 3 pods but none of the devices connect where I need them to and the internet is still garbage. So. Frustrating.

The best that you can do is disable and then re-enable WiFi on your client device to force it to connect to the best available WiFi access point, and that may not necessarily be the Pod.  If both your device and the Pod are located in the same room, and you can get a strong WiFi connection from that location to the Ignite gateway, connecting to the Pod is rather pointless and will likely result in a slower connection speed with additional delay.  Devices will typically connect to a Pod if the Pod is located mid-way between the device and the Ignite gateway.

The purpose of the Pods is to expand your WiFi coverage.  If the Pods are not installed in the correct locations, devices either will not connect to them or the Pods will degrade the overall performance of your WiFi network.

mattdemarte
I've Been Here Awhile

Well, I was told by Rogers Ignite tech support that I was in need of the pods as the connection issues were severe within my home.

So I have 3 pods now, and they are all between the modem and the devices I’m trying to connect to.

But the signal from the modem to the devices both downstairs and upstairs is so bad that I can’t even get my own Rogers STB to connect to it. So if that is the case, one would think that the pods would assist with this issue.

It has not.

Again, I was not having any of these issues pre-Ignite. So, I ask again, is there a way to force devices to connect to pods as opposed to letting them choose which signal to connect to?

Thanks
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mattdemarte wrote:
Well, I was told by Rogers Ignite tech support that I was in need of the pods as the connection issues were severe within my home.

So I have 3 pods now, and they are all between the modem and the devices I’m trying to connect to.

But the signal from the modem to the devices both downstairs and upstairs is so bad that I can’t even get my own Rogers STB to connect to it. So if that is the case, one would think that the pods would assist with this issue.

For the Pods to work, they need to be placed in a location where they can get a strong connection to either the XB6 or to an upstream neighbour Pod.  At least one Pod needs to have a good, strong connection to the XB6.  That may require that you reposition the XB6 so that it is not directly underneath duct work or anything else that could block WiFi signals.

If you install a WiFi scanner app on a mobile device, the Pod should be plugged into a location where it sees a signal strength to a neighbour Pod (or XB6) of at least -70 dBm.  (You can also use the WiFi signal strength indicator on a mobile device to confirm that you have good upstream WiFi connectivity in a given location.)  Pods must be placed in locations where they can establish a strong connection both upstream and to the devices that connect to them.

Again, I was not having any of these issues pre-Ignite.

Did your placement of the XB6 gateway change from where the previous WiFi modem was located, even slightly?

Rogers tech support should also be able to tell you if there is poor connectivity between your XB6 and your Pods, and may be able to assist you further with Pod placement.

So, I ask again, is there a way to force devices to connect to pods as opposed to letting them choose which signal to connect to?

I don't know of any way to get a device to explicitly connect to a specific Pod.

If you are still having problems getting an Ignite set-top box to connect to WiFi, you might need to disconnect it from your WiFi network and then reconnect it again.  (There are a few different ways to do this.  I'll try to find a link to an official support article.)  This is another case where you should use a mobile device to independently verify that you have good WiFi connectivity in a location.

missmagoo
I've Been Around

I am ready to leave Rogers
We have ignite and we cannot get wifi signal through out our house .
We have 3 pods and still lose signal on our phones and laptops.
So much so that we end up using data instead of wifi .

RogersRob

Hello @missmagoo

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

Not being able to connect to WiFi everywhere in your home can certainly be disappointing, we'd love to troubleshoot the WiFi signal strength issue for you To better assist you, we will require more information on the situation.

Where are the modem and pods currently located? The strategic placement of the pods from the modem can dramatically improve the range and WiFi signal strength. 

Looking forward to your reply.
RogersRob

racyroo
I've Been Here Awhile

Hello, I just got my ignite wifi hubs. Do I have to keep the bluetooth on, on the cell phone? and what happens when the phone isn't in the home. I ask because, once I got it all set up, I turned of my bluetooth and the pod got disconnected. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Bplayer
I'm a Senior Contributor

Turning Bluetooth off on your phone and the Pod being disconnected should be a coincidence.

The phone is out of the picture once you have the Pod(s) completely installed. You can monitor the network with the Ignite WiFi app on the phone but it does not use Bluetooth.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@racyroo wrote:

Hello, I just got my ignite wifi hubs. Do I have to keep the bluetooth on, on the cell phone?

No, I don't think so, and I can't see any reason why you would need to.  As far as I know, you only need enable Bluetooth on your mobile device to facilitate registering a new Pod to your account and adding it to your in-home network.

@CommunityHelps  Please correct me if I am wrong.