cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DHCP Server just "freaks" and stops working

Mocoso
I've been here awhile

Ever since a power outage that affected the neighbourhood, every time I configure more than 2 DHCP reserve IP addresses on my CODA-4582 Hitron router (I need 6) after a successful coonfiguration, and router reboots, after a few hours, all my home devices (phone, tablet, ROKU) trying to get a new or renew DHCP ip address (reserved or not) succesful join my Wifi, but I see them unable to get an IP from the router and I start seeing these errors on the DOCSIS Event page (see below). Note well that the MAC address that is complaining is the Hitron MAC address of xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx. However none of my devices can get an IP after that. The router works fine for everything else except for DHCP which defats the purpose.

1 01/24/2018 22:44:15 90000000 warning MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:91:54:0e;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

2 01/25/2018 15:19:47 84020200 warning Lost MDD Timeout;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:91:54:0e;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
3 01/25/2018 18:45:35 90000000 warning MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:91:54:0e;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
4 01/26/2018 15:05:42 84020200 warning Lost MDD Timeout;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:91:54:0e;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
5 01/26/2018 18:45:33 68010300 error DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:91:54:0e;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

*** Edited Labels ***

5 REPLIES 5

Re: DHCP Server just "freaks" and stops working

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Mocoso was the modem working properly before the power outage, in terms of maintaining the IP addresses?  If so, I can only surmise that there was some damage to the modem as a result of the outage.  Is the modem running on any type of power bar, or is it plugged directly into the wall socket?  A power bar could prevent a possible voltage spike from damaging the modem.  A direct connection to the wall socket with a power outage could result in a voltage spike damaging the modem.  My basic premise is, if it worked before, and doesn't work now, then the power outage did something.  Next step exchange the modem at the nearest Rogers store and don't fight with it. 

Is the modem running in Gateway mode or Bridge mode with a router behind it? 

Mocoso
I've been here awhile

Thanks for the response.  Yes, the modem had been working fine before (more than 2 DHCP reservation and maintained IP addresses)  It's has been plugged in right into the wall socket all along.  It's running in Gateway mode all along as well.  Yep that s what II thought, I will need to go and exchange it.  I was hoping Rogers had seen this before and could tell me if it is hardware burnout or firmware corruption and could do a factory reset.  Appreciate the response though.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While this doesnt help right now with the specific issue, may be something to consider around the reservations.

I believe that there is a limitation of the # of the devices that can be reserved with the Hitron units.

Stuff like phones, tablets, laptops, you would likely want to keep on reservations, as they would be leaving the house and then getting a different address when elsewhere.

But any device which is staying within the house, you could set the reservation at the DEVICE level.
Hard code the IP address, gateway, DNS, etc.  And then you would not take up a reservation slot.

BoatGuy
I've been here awhile
I have no solution but I can tell you I have the same problem. After a power outage the modem never regains dhcp functionality. It will give a single address out then fail. I’m returning my modem.

Degabs
I've been around

I too am now experiencing this problem... Time to return modem.

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 in conversation