cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cat 5e Wall Jack Installation?

fengjun326
I plan to stick around

hello guys

I have TV and Internet services with Rogers now. 

and I just purchased a condo unit. 

each room has cat 5 wall jack , but how to connect them together?

can i request a technician come to set up for me when im transfer my account to the new place?

882b971a22eb267fb21ee8303861dd5d.jpg

882b971a22eb267fb21ee8303861dd5d.jpg  

***EDITED LABELS***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Cat 5e Wall Jack Installation?

Hello,

Rogers does not utilize RJ45 Wires, they only utilize Coaxial RG6 wires. Now the good news is that a RJ45 jack is a standard network jack and you can easily connect it YOURSELF. BUT you need to have a plan, are you planning to install just one RJ45 jack? do u need multiple jacks? if its more than 4, then you need a separate switch, if its only 4, you can terminate them to the wiring closet and most rogers modems have 4 RJ45 ports on them that are available, so you can have the modem installed in the wiring closet and have all your jacks terminate to the closet, it would be the most cost effective, but mind you, all of which I said is NOT AVAILABLE from the Rogers technician, so either you learn how to do it yourself, or pay someone, otherwise, the technician will only install the modem where the Coax RG6 port is present,

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@fengjun326 have a look at my response in your DSLReports thread.

fengjun326
I plan to stick around
Why the repesentive wont let me book a technician ?
I’m not able to connect the internet by myself it’s condo unit not house .

Hello,

Rogers does not utilize RJ45 Wires, they only utilize Coaxial RG6 wires. Now the good news is that a RJ45 jack is a standard network jack and you can easily connect it YOURSELF. BUT you need to have a plan, are you planning to install just one RJ45 jack? do u need multiple jacks? if its more than 4, then you need a separate switch, if its only 4, you can terminate them to the wiring closet and most rogers modems have 4 RJ45 ports on them that are available, so you can have the modem installed in the wiring closet and have all your jacks terminate to the closet, it would be the most cost effective, but mind you, all of which I said is NOT AVAILABLE from the Rogers technician, so either you learn how to do it yourself, or pay someone, otherwise, the technician will only install the modem where the Coax RG6 port is present,

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, but, its an existing condo with ethernet ports already installed in the wallplates.  So, an assumption here, the other ends of the ethernet cabling should have connectors already installed.  In theory, this should be a straightforward installation for the modem, router and gigabit switch.  Install the devices, connect as required, and voila, you have a condo wifi and ethernet network.  

@fengjun326 can you take a picture of the other ends of the ethernet cable and post it?  That would clear up the issue of how much work this might require.  My guess at this point is "not a lot", but, a picture would verify that guess.

Are you going to install more than one cable tv modem, and if so, are you planning to use the Whole Home PVR system.  If so, this requires a technician install, as a MoCA Point of Entry filter is required.

Do you already have Rogers services at your present home?  If so, you should be able to call the concierge service and have them arrange the move of services to your condo. 

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/support/moving-your-services

fengjun326
I plan to stick around
I have a net box pvr for tv

That's at your current home, if you haven't already moved into the condo?  If so, give the concierge service a call and see what they say.

fengjun326
I plan to stick around

@Datalinkwrote:

That's at your current home, if you haven't already moved into the condo?  If so, give the concierge service a call and see what they say.

no i havent move in yet.

To expand on what some of the others have said (I think pauly touched on it).

At the new condo, it looks like each room has a coax jack there.. and an ethernet port.
Usually all of those will terminate back to a 'wiring' closet somewhere.. a demarcation spot.  Could be a laundry room, in a cupboard, etc.  (my brother in laws place, it was in his front hall closet).

In this spot, likely is where the cable from the building comes to, then splits off to all those jacks.  As well, likely has the other side of those ethernet ports coming back to that spot.

So what you would do, is install the rogers gateway in that wiring closet to the coax there.  Then any wired ethernet you desire, out of the gateway with a small patch, to the port there, which will feed the jack in the rooms.  (if you need more than one ethernet in that specific room, likely would have to put a switch then in that room to split it there).
Your PVR box, will connect to the coax in the room you want to put it in.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That is correct Gdkitty.  And as I stated before, Rogers cable, Rogers Internet, and Rogers home phone do not utilize the RJ45 wires in your house/condo.  The builder puts those wires there but the builder also puts a Coax RG6 wire which is what all 3 of the rogers services use.  No ones saying you cant use the RJ45 jack, all we are saying is Rogers as a provider does not use them to connect its equipment. If you want to use it, you have to do it yourself or hire someone to connect it. Just a FYI, I ran RJ45 jacks everywhere in my parents home, atleast 8 of them and used a small 8 port switch, I did this all my self with no involvement of Rogers. If I did not know how to do this, I would have gladly paid someone to do it for me.   I am pretty sure Bell and Telus is the only company to utilize R45 jacks for its IPTV Service.  

Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation