cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Block device to access internet but not local network

krist8
I plan to stick around

I have an insteon hub connected to ignite hub via cable. I want to block insteon hub in accessing internet but keep it in the local network. So, I paused it, but it is a complete pause. I cannot access it in the local network. Looking at the pause function carefully, it is for a wireless device.  So what can I do to block internet but keep local network?

*** Edited Labels ***

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Block device to access internet but not local network

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I don't use any of the Ignite gateway's security features anymore (too simplistic and/or too problematic) or the Ignite WiFi Hub, so my knowledge may be out of date.  However, my understanding is that pausing a device doesn't disconnect it from the network or block/filter network packets; instead, the gateway provides bogus DNS responses that stop the device from establishing new network connections to Internet sites.  (Even with the network access paused, you should still be able to ping it from another computer on your home network.)  Also, mucking with DNS can also cause problems for some devices... so even if the Insteon Hub still has access to the local network, it may not function correctly when its Internet access is paused.

I presume that you are nervous after Insteon's servers suddenly went off the air and then, just as suddenly, came back online again.

krist8
I plan to stick around
Thanks for your reply. I installed home assistant after insteon went dark and work perfectly. But after it cam back I have to be connected to Insteon so that that hub can work with HA. If I pause insteon hub HA cannot control it. Any suggestions?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You need to confirm whether in Insteon Hub actually has any network connectivity when paused.  You should be able to see it in the Ignite gateway's device list and look up the IP address that got assigned to it.  Ping that IP address from another computer on the network.  If you get a response, then the Insteon Hub has network connectivity... and the communication problems that you are seeing are then probably DNS-related.

I'm not sure what other strategies you can try to block Internet access.  I have seen a few people Pause the Insteon Hub's Internet access in Parental controls, just like you tried to do.  Others have added Insteon servers (e.g. connect.insteon.com) to site block lists.  Those who have routers with more capable firewalls have analyzed network traffic originating from the Insteon Hub and "black holed" connections to those servers.

There are a lot of discussions on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/insteon/

Any tips for Xfinity Internet users (with XB6 and XB7 gateways) would also be applicable to you too.

Best of luck with finding a solution that works for you!

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation