cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone get Rogers Internet working with a Meshforce M3 Mesh WiFi System?

IllAdvised
I plan to stick around

I have Rogers Internet and am often losing the wifi signal - the Rogers modem is in my basement and my office is one floor up, we have thick walls, etc.  I'm looking to setup a wifi relayer to improve the wifi signal, and am thinking of getting the highly recommended Meshforce M3 Mesh WiFi System.  Does anyone have any experience with this system or similar working on Rogers?

*** Edited Labels ***

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Anyone get Rogers Internet working with a Meshforce M3 Mesh WiFi System?

RogersZia

Good evening @IllAdvised,

You've definitely come to the right place. While I'm not familiar with the said system, I'll tag some of our Resident Experts for their insight @Datalink @-G- @ColdGranite.

Are you guys able to share some pointers?

RogersZia

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I don't know what to say.  I've never heard of MeshForce and know nothing about their product.  I saw the positive reviews on Amazon... and also saw a blog post titled, "Buyer Beware: MeshForce WiFi Buying 5-Star Amazon Reviews"

If you are purely a Rogers Internet customer, you can put your modem into Bridge Mode and you should be able to use any Wi-Fi mesh network that has the features that you require.  However, if you have Ignite TV, this complicates things.  It should still work with most third-party WiFi gear but you will be running in a configuration where Rogers will not be able to provide you with any support should you ever run into technical difficulties.

Regardless of which Wi-Fi mesh network you choose, unless you have a system (and wiring in your home) that allows the Wi-Fi mesh nodes to be interconnected over a wired backhaul network, the secondary/satellite nodes still need to establish a wireless connection with the primary/hub node in order to establish a mesh.  If you have a house with challenging construction, that inherently blocks, absorbs or reflects Wi-Fi signals, implementing a Wi-Fi mesh network could still be problematic.  Even if you have a good, solid understanding of how Wi-Fi works and know how to deploy it properly, installing WiFi in some homes can still be a royal pain.

If you do have Ignite Internet, you can also try installing Ignite Pods.  If possible, place the Ignite gateway on the main floor in a central area and place the Pods in your home strategically, midway between the modem and areas with poor Wi-Fi connectivity.

If you choose to take on the challenge of installing a Wi-Fi mesh, you may find the following articles helpful:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/02/the-ars-technica-semi-scientific-guide-to-wi-fi-access-point...

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/04/remote-work-lagging-if-you-cant-plug-it-in-upgrade-to-mesh/

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/03/802-eleventy-what-a-deep-dive-into-why-wi-fi-...

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

One other thing that I would like to add: Basements are typically not a great place for Wi-Fi modem/gateways.  Plumbing, duct work, etc. can block the Wi-Fi signal.  Also, if you have the gateway placed underneath a ceramic tile floor with a metal lath underlayment, that too will affect the Wi-Fi signal.  You may be able to improve the Wi-Fi coverage in your home simply by shifting your modem to a better location.

IllAdvised
I plan to stick around

To shift the modem upstairs I'd need a Rogers technician to come in.  My sons use the Internet in the basement and I use it upstairs in my office and living room. The basement is finished, including the ceiling (not tiles). I don't have Ignite\

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@IllAdvised wrote:

To shift the modem upstairs I'd need a Rogers technician to come in.  My sons use the Internet in the basement and I use it upstairs in my office and living room. The basement is finished, including the ceiling (not tiles). I don't have Ignite\

A Wi-Fi mesh network could still work fine in your situation but the installation may require some careful planning.

The problem is that you can't "just" place the Primary mesh node next to the Rogers modem and plug the Satellite nodes in upstairs.  If the Rogers modem can't get a good-enough Wi-Fi signal anywhere upstairs then neither will the primary Wi-Fi mesh node. If the Satellite nodes cannot get a good, strong, fast connection to their Primary node, your Wi-Fi client devices will get a good connection to the Satellite in the mesh but your network performance will still be horribly slow.  The Wi-Fi mesh could still work if there is a location upstairs upstairs that has fairly good Wi-Fi connectivity back to the Primary node AND has good Wi-Fi connectivity to your office and living room.

(Suffice it to say, you will need to carefully pick good locations for your Primary and Satellite mesh nodes and have a way to connect the Primary node to your Rogers modem.)

You will also need to make some other decisions when planning your installation:

Do you put the Rogers modem into "Bridge Mode" and use the new mesh system for all connectivity or do you put the Wi-Fi mesh into "AP mode" and use it to replace the Wi-Fi connectivity that the Rogers modem used to provide?

Will you ever be switching to Rogers Ignite TV?  If that's a possibility, you may not want to make a huge investment in a WiFi mesh system that is not compatible or supported by Rogers, especially if you do not have a good comfort level with networking technology.

Another option to consider (instead of a mesh) is a Wi-Fi Range Extender.  A good installation location would somewhere upstairs that has fairly good Wi-Fi connectivity to the Rogers WiFi modem in the basement AND has good Wi-Fi connectivity to your office and living room.  It's not as good a solution as a Wi-Fi mesh but it is a less expensive option and the installation is simpler.

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor
I would suggest getting the pods from Rogers. I had speeds that were between 40 - 60 Mbps on my laptop and with the pods, I get around 230 Mbps. Not bad speed for a 10-year-old i7 laptop.
Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation