cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adjusting Router Wifi Transmission Strength

mcd1414
I've been around

Is it possible to adjust the router wifi transmission strength if I have an Ignite modem? 

**Added Labels***

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Adjusting Router Wifi Transmission Strength

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mcd1414 wrote:

Is it possible to adjust the router wifi transmission strength if I have an Ignite modem? 

No, not really.  Industry Canada imposes a limit on the maximum transmit power in different frequency bands.  For example, on the 5 GHz band, channels 36-48 transmit at the lowest power level; channels 149 and higher transmit at a higher power level.  The only control that you really have is which channel you use.  (The Ignite gateway does not give you the ability to fine-tune the transmit power (up or down) within the allowable range)

If you perform the initial configuration of the Ignite gateway using a web browser, you can manually select which WiFi channels you use.  However, as soon as the Ignite WiFi Hub gets enabled, it takes control over which channels get used.

That said, the Ignite gateway (access point) is only one half of the connection.  The limiting factor is often the transmit power of the Wi-Fi client, especially mobile devices.  (i.e. even if you could crank up the transmit power on the Access Point to any arbitrary level, if the other end of the connection operates at a low power level, it won't make any difference.). You also want to avoid marginal Wi-Fi connections because they will have a very low data rate and will require more air time to transmit data.  Since only one device can transmit on a frequency at a time, an active device with a poor-quality Wi-Fi connection will use a disproportionate amount of air time and will degrade the performance for ALL devices on your Wi-Fi network.

Re: Adjusting Router Wifi Transmission Strength

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mcd1414 wrote:

What sort of connectivity issue are you trying to resolve?  Is there an area of your home that has poor WiFi coverage?  Where is your Ignite gateway located?

The Ignite gateways normally provide pretty good Wi-Fi coverage.  You can often improve the WiFi connectivity in your home by moving the gateway to a different location.  Sometimes, even moving it a few inches can make a huge difference.

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation