cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding More Wired Ports on Ignite Modem

dblues
I plan to stick around

Is there any way to add more Ethernet ports ( e.g via a 3rd party switch) to my current 4-port Ignite router without disruption to any of my other services (TV)?

Thanks,

**Labels Added**

25 REPLIES 25

Re: Adding More Wired Ports on Ignite Modem

hiho
I'm a regular

i have the 1.5 plan and i was wondering Does this mean that by putting a switch on the port 4 then add my 3older computers to the switch that it will force them to be able to use my 1.5 from port 4 like i do with my newest computer?

i was thinking a 2.5 switch is what i would need so that they all can share the 1.5 that i have

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@hiho, you are correct, connecting a multi-gig switch to port 4 of an XB7 or XB8 will allow you to run 1.5 Gb/s or 2.5 Gb/s, to your other devices that connects to the switch.  The data rate, 1.5 or 2.5 Gb/s will depend of course on your internet plan speeds.  The older computers which have a 1 Gb/s ethernet port should connect without any issues to the switch. 

For Fibre to the Home customers who might read this post, with the Nokia Optical Network Terminal (ONT) connected to port 4 of the XB8, port 4 in that configuration serves as a firewalled WAN port.  It is the only port that can be used to connect to the Nokia ONT when FTTH service is installed.  In that configuration, the XB8 modem cannot be configured to run in Bridge mode as the firmware is not supposed to allow that.  

K got most of that np but what i was trying to ask and not sure if i made my self clear is that i have 3 older computers that only have 1000Mbps cards in them and what i was thinking i could do was use a switch connected to the port 4 then add the all 4 of my computers to the switch and that would give me the 1.5 on all of my computers that would be shared depending if any are being used at the time?

Your older computers will not be able to get any speed higher than 1.0gig (1000 MBPS), they would still max out at 996 mbps range. add the switch to ports 1-3 (which are 1gig ports only), not 4  if you are using the Fibe ONT box. If you are using coax, then you could use port 4 from my understanding. I'm just out of luck since I have the ONT box. lol. 

@macman_canada keep in mind that you can replace the modem with a router that has multi-gig WAN and LAN ports.  That would also allow you to install a downstream multi-gig switch, allowing higher data rates to the downstream devices.  Rogers doesn't support that configuration so you would have to keep the modem available to swap back in for troubleshooting purposes.

Topic Stats
  • 25 replies
  • 21 Likes
  • 6 in conversation