cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XB6 Modem - Noisy?

robtoe
I'm a reliable contributor

Contemplating the jump to Ignite, but aside from the picture quality concerns I've seen here, I saw a reference to the XB6 modem using fans, and it being noisy.

My existing modem is passively cooled, so a noisy XB6 one would be a showstopper.

Any input from existing users?

***Added Labels***

50 REPLIES 50

Re: XB6 Modem - Noisy?

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
Mine is on a wood shelf (fake wood, particle board covered with vinyl wood print). I hear the wash all through the house as well, but still cannot hear my XB6 right now. Putting something soft under it would absorb most vibration.

SpeedyC

Hi.

I too have sensitive hearing (misophonia).

Although placing a thin cloth underneath the modem works, I'm afraid to cover the ventilation holes on the bottom

(placing the modem on a hard board and then a soft cloth did not work for me).

I'd rather try to live with the hum than possibly having the modem over-heat and end up with no WiFi/TV at all.

I see Rogers now has the Ignite Gateway Gen2 (White) available ... is that the XB7?

And if so, can anyone confirm that is quieter than the XB6?

If so, I'll try and ask for an equipment switch.

Hello, @SpeedyC

Thanks so much for posting your concern to the community.

I can understand how inconvenient it can be to have a piece of equipment that is noisy. The ignite gateway Gen2 is the XB7. I can confirm that the XB7 is a quieter device than the XB6. We do not have the option to choose between the XB6 or the XB7, at this time. The modem that you receive will be determined by the stock that is available in your area.

We have been getting more stock of the XB7 but we cannot guarantee you will get that model if you decide to do a modem swap.

RogersTony

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@SpeedyC  I asked another Moderator about this (via PM) and was told that the XB7 fan's noise level was comparable to that of the XB6, so I suppose it all depends on which XB6 you compare it to.

I don't have an XB7 yet but I have had a Technicolor XB6, an Arris XB6, and my current Technicolor XB6.  The fan on the XB6-A was softer and lower-pitched than that of my first XB6-T.  My current XB6-T is not loud at all.

If the modem has a fan, you will hear it, and there will be days when it will bother you more.  If you find your XB6 to be overly noisy, ask Rogers for a replacement.  You should be able to place it in your main living space and you should not be able to hear the modem's fan over any other background noise.

SpeedyC

Yesterday I got my 3rd visit from a Rogers Technician in 2 weeks in regards to my upgrade to Ignite.

The first 2 times, I got the the XB6.

Yesterday, while fixing my cable signal issues, the Tech also swapped my 2nd XB6 for a XB7.

It is definitely quieter than the XB6 ... I can hardly notice it, if at all (knock on wood it stays that way).

And apparently it has been in wide circulation in my area (Mississauga, On.) for a while.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@SpeedyC  Thanks, that's good to know.  I don't know whether or not you previously had louder-than-average variants of the XB6 but I'm still glad that you have something that works better for you.  Hopefully the firmware will be stable.

Mindy4664
I've been around
Yes the modem is noisy, a constant humming noise. I’m ready to ditch Rogers.... you pay more and more for supposedly upgraded faster technology and since changing over to Ignite the reception in the bedrooms are slow, inspite of adding the eero for wifi extension and the humming noise - great if you’re out all day and night and never have company over!

gandalfnet
I've been here awhile
The fan in that garbage modem hums all the time it's annoying I've gotten two of these things and there's the same it just sits in the background humming away. Do not put this anywhere where you're watching TV quietly or trying to do quiet work

SpeedyC

Agreed!

Glad when a technician came a while ago he was nice enough to replace my XB6 with the XB7.

Much quieter ... the only downside is the light on top was really bright and my eyes kept veering toward the modem when watching TV ... I found a little something to loosely cover up the light and it's all good! 

Topic Stats