cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Israeli TV a free channel but others are not?

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

I see that iTV is a free channel but Al Jazeera is a pay channel. If you want to provide a balance in the information, both channels should be free. Unless if Rogers is pro Israel

*** Edited Labels ***

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Why is Israeli TV a free channel but others are not?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It's up to the originating broadcaster or distributor of the channel as to whether or not Rogers, Bell or any other BDU can make it available as a free preview.

For example, Rogers is able to broadcast a few Ukrainian channels at no charge because the Toronto-based distributor, with the Canadian distribution rights for those channels, is allowing the Canadian BDUs to offer them as a free preview.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If there is a natural disaster or a civil war or something terrible in a specific country or region, then yes they often provide a free preview of a channel for a limited time.

Because there is a war between Israel and Hamas, the Israeli TV channel is free.  Because Hamas is recognized as a Terrorist Organization and not a country, they do not have official TV channels so we can not get Hamas TV channels for free here, Plus they are the bad guys right now.

The Al Jazeera Channel is from Quatar, not israel, not hamas, not the Gaza Strip, so why would it be free?

Tracianne
I've been around
It’s not a war, it’s a genocide. It’s a state that has nuclear capabilities wiping out a refugee state. Therefore, I think Al Jazeera should be free.

Marssy
I've been here awhile

Why is i24 (Israel News) to only free preview with no expiry date?

Marssy
I've been here awhile
  • Also, does Rogers/Shaw have the option to not provide CRTC approved new tv stations?  Why is Al Jazeera a paid subscription?  What is the subscription rate for i24?

LB101
I've been around

You should try watching it. You may learn something new. Also, look up the definition of genocide. If Israel was intent on genocide, the war would have been over in a day. If Hamas returns the hostages and relinquishes military control, the war would be over. Unfortunately, the Palestinian people are suffering because Hamas doesn't care about them and uses them as human shields. If Hamas really cared, they'd have used the billions of dollars in aid that was given to them by other countries including Israel for building better schools, hospitals etc instead of 700 miles of tunnels, and getting rich themselves. If Al Jazeera makes itself available the same way i24 does, then I agree their channel should be free, too.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

when ever there is any kind of civil war, one of the countries or parties involved is considered the bad guy while the other is the good guys.  

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

G touched on this on the original poster.

Many things like this is due to Licensing/broadcast rights.

If ANY channel A wants to provide their channel for FREE say to rogers, they could add it real easy to everyone.
But if another channel is CHARGING rogers for it, that rogers must pay higher licensing fees for it, they generally pass that cost along by it being in a higher package or paid channel.
(I mean, they COULD provide it for free, but would be at a loss then.. i dont really expect them to do that)

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 in conversation