cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stay Awake Message

KostaK
I've been here awhile

Hi folks, I have Rogers Xi6-T IPTV Box. How can I get rid of "Stay Awake" message forever?

Stay AwakeStay Awake

**Labels Added**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Stay Awake Message

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@KostaK   You cannot get rid of this message forever.  This was recently discussed in the following thread:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Disabling-Rogers-Pop-Up-Adds-and-Power-Saving-featur...

You can manage your power save preferences so that this message only comes up after about 4-5 hours of inactivity, but that's the longest time interval, as discussed in the thread link above.  Any button press will extend the time to the next reminder by the amount in the settings.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@KostaK   You cannot get rid of this message forever.  This was recently discussed in the following thread:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Disabling-Rogers-Pop-Up-Adds-and-Power-Saving-featur...

You can manage your power save preferences so that this message only comes up after about 4-5 hours of inactivity, but that's the longest time interval, as discussed in the thread link above.  Any button press will extend the time to the next reminder by the amount in the settings.

KostaK
I've been here awhile

@57 But why Rogers is lacking of bandwidth?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@KostaK : I believe it was @-G- who mentioned system resources. Any company doesn't have infinite resources, otherwise your bills would also be infinite. It's always a balance of resources vs cost.  I had mentioned mandatory reduction in power consumption in the other thread which affects the box, the TV and also the other resources in the field like the head end or neighbourhood nodes, etc, which also cost money requiring a balance of available resources.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

@KostaK : I believe it was @-G- who mentioned system resources. Any company doesn't have infinite resources, otherwise your bills would also be infinite. It's always a balance of resources vs cost.

Many years ago, I used to design IPTV solutions for customers, back when this tech was still very new.  At some point, you need to figure out how many simultaneous streams you will need to support, for proof of concept, technical and marketing trials, and when the service launches, and then you need to have a plan in place to scale the solution as more and more customers sign on.  It's disastrous to underestimate the number of streams that you will need to support, not cost-effective to the business if you grossly overestimate, and the only way to put a box around what you design to is to ensure that the set-top boxes will not stream endlessly.  Endless streaming also throws off your audience measurement.  For OTT streaming, you also need to consider those customers who do not have unlimited Internet plans.

I think the "power saving" logic is more for those customers with legacy coax-connected cable boxes, that run much of the same code from a UI perspective,  Comcast has A LOT of those customers, and they won't get able to get any kind of "Energy Star" certification on that gear unless they have provisions in place to make those boxes go to sleep when idle.  Otherwise, for Digital TV or Satellite, it doesn't really matter to the service provider whether those boxes remain on indefinitely since it does not consume finite infrastructure in the backend.  It's the end-customer paying for power to keep that set-top box running.

For the Ignite TV boxes, I don't think that there is a huge difference in power draw, whether they are actively streaming or sleeping.

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 in conversation