cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Self-install Ignite TV questions

evanhams
I've been here awhile

Hi,

I have an offer to move to Ignite Services from my existing Rogers services and have some questions about the "Ignite Express Setup" listed:

1. Is the equipment shipped or does a technician drop it off? How do I return the old equipment?
  2. Will there be any new wires needing to be run? I am in a detached house and not in an area with fibre.
  3. Will the tech be close by during install if I encounter any issues during the setup? Would the technician be able to help if I run into issues?
  4. Is there still the $29 installation fee if I'm an existing customer?

Thanks for your help.

**Added Labels**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Self-install Ignite TV questions

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

@evanhams wrote:

Hi,

I have an offer to move to Ignite Services from my existing Rogers services and have some questions about the "Ignite Express Setup" listed:

1. Is the equipment shipped or does a technician drop it off? How do I return the old equipment?
  2. Will there be any new wires needing to be run? I am in a detached house and not in an area with fibre.
  3. Will the tech be close by during install if I encounter any issues during the setup? Would the technician be able to help if I run into issues?

Thanks for your help.

1.  In my case it was dropped off by technician   

You are to request a shipping label for the old equipment.  If you OWN the equipment, then certain Nextbox PVRs and non-pvr boxes were/are eligible for refund if shipped as per the label… NOT RETURNED TO ROGER STORE... must be shipped to the label address.  Rogers gives you a QR code and a link.  You can use the link to print your own label, or use the QR code and take it to Post office.  They will scan the QR and print label for you.

Make sure you ask for that QR code.  They will forget to email it to you.

2.  There are fewer wires.  The only outputs are are HDMI from the TV box which you run to your TV (or audio system depending on your setup).  And the HDMI cable is provided.  If you use the hard-wired network connection, you have to provide your own ethernet network cable, but you will probably use the WIFI connection so that is not normally required.

3.  In my case the tech left a cellphone number that I could call if there was a problem.  There is unlikely to be a problem unless you have a peculiar setup.

4.  You have to negotiate waiver of the fee.  They WILL charge it, unless you specifically get them to waive it.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Linuxguru
I plan to stick around
1: Tech will drop it off and wait outside
2: Modem works for phone internet and TV and is wireless
3; Tech will be outside and available by phone
4; Not sure about installation fee but don't think so.

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

@evanhams wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

1.  In my case it was dropped off by technician   

You are to request a shipping label for the old equipment.  If you OWN the equipment, then certain Nextbox PVRs and non-pvr boxes were/are eligible for refund if shipped as per the label… NOT RETURNED TO ROGER STORE... must be shipped to the label address.  Rogers gives you a QR code and a link.  You can use the link to print your own label, or use the QR code and take it to Post office.  They will scan the QR and print label for you.

Make sure you ask for that QR code.  They will forget to email it to you.

2.  There are fewer wires.  The only outputs are are HDMI from the TV box which you run to your TV (or audio system depending on your setup).  And the HDMI cable is provided.  If you use the hard-wired network connection, you have to provide your own ethernet network cable, but you will probably use the WIFI connection so that is not normally required.

3.  In my case the tech left a cellphone number that I could call if there was a problem.  There is unlikely to be a problem unless you have a peculiar setup.

4.  You have to negotiate waiver of the fee.  They WILL charge it, unless you specifically get them to waive it.

evanhams
I've been here awhile

Thanks for the reply! 

For 2., I was more referring to any work outside the home. Will new wiring need to be run? New holes drilled? Does the tech have to go make connections somewhere before I complete my self-install?

Linuxguru
I plan to stick around

If you have cable internet and TV now just swap modems. No new cable work by tech.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@evanhams : You said you already had Rogers services, so if there is an RF-coax going to a spot in your home where you plan to put the new "gateway" (modem/router/phone modem), then there is no new wiring required. I strongly suggest you take the time to read some of the recent threads in this IgniteTV forum since all of this has already been discussed, along with many other things, so that you're not surprised by anything with Ignite, which is quite different from Legacy Digital Cable.

sm30
I plan to stick around

I am currently on the legacy gigabit internet (white coda modem), Premier TV 2 boxes (4K PVR, 4K box), and Home phone. My rogers line coming into the house has a splitter connecting to the modem, TV, and home phone.

I just received the new Ignite hardware. Do I remove the splitter and connect the new Ignite modem directly?

Or leave the splitter and replace it with the same cable the white coda modem is currently connected to? Then the other 2 connections on the splitter will be open once I remove the TV and home phone cables.

Lurker_Returns
I'm a reliable contributor
Get rid of the splitter. The less unterminated connections you have, the better.

Take the main line and plug it into the modem. This will provide the strongest signal to the modem.
Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 6 in conversation