cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Ignite Remote

abcweir
I've been around

I just got Ignite installed in my home. The Rogers box (TX061AEI) is connected to my Samsung UN50NUthrough a Denon AVR 5750 receiver.

When I try to switch to verbal commands on the Remote, it more often than not will not work, unless it is pointed away from the Television/Receiver. The Remote gives a flat chime, and there is not any message displayed.

Any suggestions?

***Added Labels***

35 REPLIES 35

Re: Problems with Ignite Remote

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@abcweir  You might be getting some RF interference.  Have you tried moving your set-top box to a different position (away from other components) to see if that makes a difference?

yyz64
I plan to stick around

TV is a Hisense, the soundbar is a Yamaha. I discovered by accident that if I only pair the TV, the Ignite remote can control the TV on and off.  If I add the soundbar then the Ignite remote can turn on but not off the Tv but can control the soundbar just fine. The box  reboots are a pain, you never know when you will have to do it, very random.This box also has the uncanny ability to reset the fast forward time  that I set to 30 seconds to 5 minutes randomly as well.You have to reprogram the ff timer to 5 minutes before you can set it back to 30 seconds.Weird , wonderful things.I did  notice that when I paired  a Samsung TV the Ignite box knew what brand the TV was.Not so with the Hisense.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@yyz64 wrote:

TV is a Hisense, the soundbar is a Yamaha. I discovered by accident that if I only pair the TV, the Ignite remote can control the TV on and off.  If I add the soundbar then the Ignite remote can turn on but not off the Tv but can control the soundbar just fine. 

When properly programmed, the Rogers remote should turn the TV on/off and the sound bar (audio device like AVR) on/off when you press the "power/ all power" button, depending on the Rogers remote you're using.

https://www.urcsupport.com/rogers/

However, a lot of equipment contains automatic functionality that can cause issues with the on/off functionality. For example:

1. Some equipment can "sense" when it starts receiving a signal, either via HDMI or optical, and it can turn on "by itself".

2. Some equipment can sense when there is no signal to it and will then turn off (usually in a few minutes) by itself.

3. Some equipment uses HDMI-CEC functionality to turn on and to the appropriate input.  

4. If this (automatic) functionality is enabled in the equipment, then the Rogers remote and this automatic functionality can "fight" over what the equipment is doing regarding on/off and they can be "out of sync" turning off (or on) when you want it to do the opposite.  See the FAQ below:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/71112-faq-hdmi-comments-issues.html Item 4

5. Since IR signals from the Rogers remote take some time (several seconds) to be sent by the remote, many people do not point their Rogers remote at the various pieces of equipment long enough for all the signals to go through and the equipment is "out of synch" with what you want (one device is on, but another is off).

When programming the Rogers remote, one needs to disable any of this "automatic" functionality in the various devices, or needs to not programme in on/off signals from the Rogers remote if the equipment works properly without the on/off IR signal from the Rogers remote.

In addition, the Rogers box is always on, unless you power it off via voice command (Power Down) or via a menu command to power down. The "power" button on the Rogers remote does not turn the box off. After some hours the Rogers box does go into Standby by itself.  If you press any button on the Rogers remote, it will come out of Standby and be "on."

One needs to understand how things work in order to troubleshoot and get things powering on/off properly.

yyz64
I plan to stick around

I actually posted this i the wrong thread but we have talked about my problem before.

There is no reason that the remote can control the TV properly  until I also get it to include the soundbar.Then it can't control the tv off function.The soundbar is toslink so no CEC issue. 

It's not a pointing the remote issue either . And this is also the tv that "loses" it's signal from the setbox kind of like people were complaining about RCA tv's doing. Happens anywhere from 5-10 times a week I have to reboot the box, change the tv to a different input and then back as the box is rebooting to fix it.It has to be that procedure, you can't just reboot the box

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Trying to resetup a remote. When it asks if I want to setup an audio receiver I say yes, it then presents me with an input field and a list of 'A' brands. When I input a D in the input field it says "Loading more brands". 

It never comes up with a list of D brand of receivers, it just sits there.

Am I not waiting long enough for the list or is it stuck? 

Thnx

Bill

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Biollw wrote:

Trying to resetup a remote. When it asks if I want to setup an audio receiver I say yes, it then presents me with an input field and a list of 'A' brands. When I input a D in the input field it says "Loading more brands". 

It never comes up with a list of D brand of receivers, it just sits there.

Am I not waiting long enough for the list or is it stuck? 

Thnx

Bill

I think you (slightly) misread what was on the screen.  When you input a "D" while selecting a receiver brand, it displays Denon, and below that it says "Load more brands..."

You need to arrow down and select "Load more brands..." before the full list will load.

You can also enter more letters (or the full name of the brand, not just the first letter) and then select your Receiver brand from the list below.

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Ahh got ya. I was expecting it to load more brands as I entered the letters.

RogerM
I've been around

How do you get to page asking for AV receiver brand ?

I only get TV brand question.

Thanks,

Roger

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogerM wrote:

How do you get to page asking for AV receiver brand ?

I only get TV brand question.

Welcome to the Community!

Completing the Ignite remote setup should be a 2-stage process:  First, you are asked, "Do you want to use your remote to control your TV power and volume?"; answer "Yes" and follow the on-screen prompts.  Next, you should be asked, "If you have an audio receiver, do you want to control it with your remote?"; answer "Yes" and follow tine on-screen prompts.

To redo the remote setup, press the "A" button on your remote to access the Help page, then select "Remote Setup"

ickster1966
I've been here awhile

Just scroll down to "loading more brands" and they will show up after clicking enter.

GR222
I'm here a lot
So my remote (xr15-v2) just faulted and wouldn't allow me to use voice control or control my tv or audio receiver. I had to get rogers to send me a new remote. I have since re-paired the new remote but I can't get my audio receiver to pair properly. When I get the "pair audio receiver" page I click yes and type in my Yamaha brand, but then it just skips to the TV pairing again. The only way I could somewhat pair my receiver was to use urc support page to give me a code to input, it worked for controlling everything properly except for powering on my receiver. It will turn off my TV and receiver, but then when I press the power button it only turns on the TV

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

So this is what I have figured out with my TV and AVR Receiver.

When you pair the remote it attempts to identify the TV and/or receiver automatically. But it fails to see my Samsung TV because my Denon AVR is between it.

So this is how I got it paired.

I found my codes https://www.urcsupport.com/urc_product/rogers-xr11-2/ ( select your XR15 if you have it) here. Wrote them down.

Now when I pair the remote when it asks for the TV brand I just select the first one on the list, press/hold setup then I enter not the displayed code but the code I wrote down.

Now I say yes to setup Audio and do the same thing as above.

Select first brand on the list, press/hold setup and enter the code I wrote down not the displayed code.

This is the trick I had to do to get by the AVR setup.

Good Luck

Bill

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I believe the simplest option, after pairing the remote for RF, would be to go to the URC Support website and follow the instructions to set up the remote for TV and/or AVR/Audio device. Do not use the menu driven on-screen instructions.

GR222
I'm here a lot
I did ignore the whole set up menu when pairing my receiver this time, I just held the mute and menu buttons from whatever channel I was on, and punched in the code I got from urc support. The only thing that doesn't work right now is that I can't turn on my receiver with the ignite remote, but I can turn it off just fine. Before my first remote stopped working I had the ignite remote able to turn everything on/off, control volume, and all of that. I also was able to pair it properly using the actual pairing setup menu

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@GR222  The remote setup and pairing will happen automatically when you first try to use a new Voice Remote with the Ignite set-top box.  However, you can also re-do the remote setup through the STB's "Help" screen.  To do this, press the "A" button on your remote, scroll right and select "Remote Setup".  In my case, it also asks, "Would you like to control your audio receiver using the new remote?"

To select a Yamaha receiver, scroll to and select "Y" when prompted for the brand, then press the "down arrow" to select "Load more brands...", then select "Yamaha" from the list.

GR222
I'm here a lot

Yes I already tried to pair it the right way. When it asked to pair an audio receiver I would click yes and type in my Yamaha brand, but then it wouldn't give me an option to actually pair it, it would just ask if I had a TV I would like to pair which I have already done.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@GR222 wrote:

Yes I already tried to pair it the right way. When it asked to pair an audio receiver I would click yes and type in my Yamaha brand, but then it wouldn't give me an option to actually pair it, it would just ask if I had a TV I would like to pair which I have already done.

If you get such a prompt again for the TV, continue to follow it.  (You will probably only need to select "it works" when setting up the TV a second time.)  You need to do that redundant step in the setup wizard in order to get to the next step, which should be to prompt you for the receiver setup.

GR222
I'm here a lot

It's just a continuous loop of pairing the TV (which gets paired properly) and the unfinished audio receiver pairing. Even if I say yes it works to the TV pairing, it still goes into the receiver pairing, and then asks again about the TV without finishing the receiver pairing, and so forth, and so forth.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@GR222  Okay, try this: Press and hold the "A" and "D" buttons simultaneously on your XR15 voice remote until the status LED changes from red to green, then punch in setup code "9 8 1".  This will completely reset the remote and you will need to set it up again.

Next, point the remote directly at the set-top box and press the MIC button.  You should see a "Start using voice commands" prompt on-screen; select "Yes", after which you will be prompted to pair the remote with the set-top box.  Once this is complete, you will then be prompted to set the remote up to control your TV and your audio receiver.

GR222
I'm here a lot

I just tried those steps, same result. After I select my receiver brand the next screen asks me to control my LG TV using the remote, and restarts the endless loop of pairing

Topic Stats
  • 35 replies
  • 12 Likes
  • 12 in conversation