Problems with Ignite Remote

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Problems with Ignite Remote

I just got Ignite installed in my home. The Rogers box (TX061AEI) is connected to my Samsung UN50NUthrough a Denon AVR 5750 receiver.

When I try to switch to verbal commands on the Remote, it more often than not will not work, unless it is pointed away from the Television/Receiver. The Remote gives a flat chime, and there is not any message displayed.

Any suggestions?

***Added Labels***

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Problems with Ignite Remote

@abcweir  You might be getting some RF interference.  Have you tried moving your set-top box to a different position (away from other components) to see if that makes a difference?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

TV is a Hisense, the soundbar is a Yamaha. I discovered by accident that if I only pair the TV, the Ignite remote can control the TV on and off.  If I add the soundbar then the Ignite remote can turn on but not off the Tv but can control the soundbar just fine. The box  reboots are a pain, you never know when you will have to do it, very random.This box also has the uncanny ability to reset the fast forward time  that I set to 30 seconds to 5 minutes randomly as well.You have to reprogram the ff timer to 5 minutes before you can set it back to 30 seconds.Weird , wonderful things.I did  notice that when I paired  a Samsung TV the Ignite box knew what brand the TV was.Not so with the Hisense.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@yyz64 wrote:

TV is a Hisense, the soundbar is a Yamaha. I discovered by accident that if I only pair the TV, the Ignite remote can control the TV on and off.  If I add the soundbar then the Ignite remote can turn on but not off the Tv but can control the soundbar just fine. 

When properly programmed, the Rogers remote should turn the TV on/off and the sound bar (audio device like AVR) on/off when you press the "power/ all power" button, depending on the Rogers remote you're using.

https://www.urcsupport.com/rogers/

However, a lot of equipment contains automatic functionality that can cause issues with the on/off functionality. For example:

1. Some equipment can "sense" when it starts receiving a signal, either via HDMI or optical, and it can turn on "by itself".

2. Some equipment can sense when there is no signal to it and will then turn off (usually in a few minutes) by itself.

3. Some equipment uses HDMI-CEC functionality to turn on and to the appropriate input.  

4. If this (automatic) functionality is enabled in the equipment, then the Rogers remote and this automatic functionality can "fight" over what the equipment is doing regarding on/off and they can be "out of sync" turning off (or on) when you want it to do the opposite.  See the FAQ below:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/71112-faq-hdmi-comments-issues.html Item 4

5. Since IR signals from the Rogers remote take some time (several seconds) to be sent by the remote, many people do not point their Rogers remote at the various pieces of equipment long enough for all the signals to go through and the equipment is "out of synch" with what you want (one device is on, but another is off).

When programming the Rogers remote, one needs to disable any of this "automatic" functionality in the various devices, or needs to not programme in on/off signals from the Rogers remote if the equipment works properly without the on/off IR signal from the Rogers remote.

In addition, the Rogers box is always on, unless you power it off via voice command (Power Down) or via a menu command to power down. The "power" button on the Rogers remote does not turn the box off. After some hours the Rogers box does go into Standby by itself.  If you press any button on the Rogers remote, it will come out of Standby and be "on."

One needs to understand how things work in order to troubleshoot and get things powering on/off properly.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I actually posted this i the wrong thread but we have talked about my problem before.

There is no reason that the remote can control the TV properly  until I also get it to include the soundbar.Then it can't control the tv off function.The soundbar is toslink so no CEC issue. 

It's not a pointing the remote issue either . And this is also the tv that "loses" it's signal from the setbox kind of like people were complaining about RCA tv's doing. Happens anywhere from 5-10 times a week I have to reboot the box, change the tv to a different input and then back as the box is rebooting to fix it.It has to be that procedure, you can't just reboot the box

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Trying to resetup a remote. When it asks if I want to setup an audio receiver I say yes, it then presents me with an input field and a list of 'A' brands. When I input a D in the input field it says "Loading more brands". 

It never comes up with a list of D brand of receivers, it just sits there.

Am I not waiting long enough for the list or is it stuck? 

Thnx

Bill

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Biollw wrote:

Trying to resetup a remote. When it asks if I want to setup an audio receiver I say yes, it then presents me with an input field and a list of 'A' brands. When I input a D in the input field it says "Loading more brands". 

It never comes up with a list of D brand of receivers, it just sits there.

Am I not waiting long enough for the list or is it stuck? 

Thnx

Bill

I think you (slightly) misread what was on the screen.  When you input a "D" while selecting a receiver brand, it displays Denon, and below that it says "Load more brands..."

You need to arrow down and select "Load more brands..." before the full list will load.

You can also enter more letters (or the full name of the brand, not just the first letter) and then select your Receiver brand from the list below.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Ahh got ya. I was expecting it to load more brands as I entered the letters.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

How do you get to page asking for AV receiver brand ?

I only get TV brand question.

Thanks,

Roger

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogerM wrote:

How do you get to page asking for AV receiver brand ?

I only get TV brand question.

Welcome to the Community!

Completing the Ignite remote setup should be a 2-stage process:  First, you are asked, "Do you want to use your remote to control your TV power and volume?"; answer "Yes" and follow the on-screen prompts.  Next, you should be asked, "If you have an audio receiver, do you want to control it with your remote?"; answer "Yes" and follow tine on-screen prompts.

To redo the remote setup, press the "A" button on your remote to access the Help page, then select "Remote Setup"