Number of Ignite TV Boxes Affect Overall Internet Speed?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Number of Ignite TV Boxes Affect Overall Internet Speed?

Sorry if this is a duplicate, I tried doing a search on the subject but didn't find the answer.

Can you advise if the Ignite TV service (looking at 4 Ignite boxes installed) will affect the overall internet speed?  I currently have 1Gbps internet service with Rogers, but will the Ignite TV boxes take away bandwidth from my internet service or are they put on their own separate service?

**Labels Added**

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Number of Ignite TV Boxes Affect Overall Internet Speed?

@Feejai wrote:

Sorry if this is a duplicate, I tried doing a search on the subject but didn't find the answer.

Can you advise if the Ignite TV service (looking at 4 Ignite boxes installed) will affect the overall internet speed?  I currently have 1Gbps internet service with Rogers, but will the Ignite TV boxes take away bandwidth from my internet service or are they put on their own separate service?

The Ignite TV set-top boxes use your Internet connection and in-home network just like an Apple TV or Roku streaming box would.  However, streams for HD channels use less than 10Mb/s of bandwidth and 4K channels use less than 25Mb/s, so their impact on your available bandwidth is fairly negligible.

For me, I have 3 STBs and the 150u service.  My Internet speed tests routinely measure 190-200Mb/s so even with all three boxes active, I'm still seeing the advertised speed or better for Internet.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

And with the tv it is a surge then nothing then surge again...rinse repeat. So it is not a constant download.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you for taking the time to respond.