cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Ignite IPTV box - XiOne

JKnott
I'm a reliable contributor

For the past couple of weeks, I have been part of a group testing the new XiONE IPTV box.  It's similar to the Xi6, but is a bit smaller and uses about half the power.

Here are some differences between the XiONE and (Xi6).

AV1 CODEC
4 GB memory (2 GB)
WiFi 6
HDMI 2.1 (2.0a)
Bluetooth 5.0 (4.2)

Barrel power connector (USB C)

**Labels Added**

7 REPLIES 7

Re: New Ignite IPTV box - XiOne

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I see a few articles on this box over on the Comcast website. They show a remote with very limited number of buttons. Did Rogers provide this limited remote, or the XR-15 or both?

(The Xi6 uses about 4 Watts of power, compared to 20-30 W for the digital cable boxes/PVRs depending on model.)

jimy
I plan to stick around

Not much to add other than I can't find any noteable difference between the two boxes.(Xi0ne beta vs xi6-T current)
Any hiccups I.e. 4k poor quality, ignite going down were not box specific as I verified with old box on another TV that same issues were evident at same time

P.s. am I the only one having trouble signing in to access this specific forum? Once or twice a week this happens.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jimy wrote:... am I the only one having trouble signing in to access this specific forum? Once or twice a week this happens.

Make sure you're not logged into any other Rogers websites.  See the following post for other tips:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/MyRogers-Rogers-Apps/Tips-for-Rogers-Websites-amp-Apps/td-p/49...

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

I see a few articles on this box over on the Comcast website. They show a remote with very limited number of buttons. Did Rogers provide this limited remote, or the XR-15 or both?

There is no new remote as of yet.  Ignite TV and Ignite SmartStream customers with an XiOne STB will get one of the existing Voice Remotes; either the XR11 or the XR15.  The remote that you see pictured in the Comcast press release is the XR16, which is what they offer to Xfinity Flex customers.  Sky has also started to roll out the XiOne set-top box to customers in Europe... and they have a new remote, which is pictured here.  If a new remote is in the works, Comcast customers will (almost certainly) be the first ones in North America to see it.

As you can see here, Rogers is now starting to show the XiOne on their support page.

I also received the new XiOne STB for testing a few weeks ago.  It's a nice box.  Smaller than the Xi6, with newer components internally.  With the extra RAM, apps load a bit faster and the box is a bit more responsive than the Xi6 STB but most users will not notice a huge difference between the two... and the UI is virtually identical.  Another difference is that the status LED is located on the bottom and points downward, a welcome change for those who don't like the top-mounted LED on the Xi6.  My only (minor) disappointment is that the XiOne still has the same amount of eMMC storage internally as the Xi6, so it can't buffer any more content while you Pause live TV (~25 minutes for an HD stream).

All in all, I have been quite happy with the new XiOne and did not experience any technical issues during my testing.

bigdee2015
I plan to stick around

I have been part of a small testing group for the new XiOne IPTV set-top box and things have been rolling along smoothly..

Whether you're currently subscribed to Ignite and have been using the Xi6, you'll notice some small, but powerful, changes where it's needed most. If you're not currently subscribed to Ignite - you should be!

At first glance the XiOne is about 2/3 the size of the Xi6, uses DC instead of USBC and still comes with the same remote (although upgraded model)

Inside the XiOne comes with an added 2GB memory (upgraded from2), Wi-Fi 6 support when connected to the XB7, HDMI 2.1 and Bluetooth 5

The setup was seamless and often automatically connects to you AP automatically. Your recorded videos are not stored on the device itself. The only thing you will need to setup is your on demand accounts like Netflix and Prime and you're all set!

I'm enjoying the XiOne and recommend it to anyone either looking for an upgrade or switching to Ignite.

I would also recommend being part of the testing community. It's fun and you're met with great support and a wealth of knowledge that you will not get anywhere else!

Feel free to ask any questions. I will do my best to answer - as well as others from Rogers and the testing community!

*Added Labels*

ReneHache
I plan to stick around

Hope bluetooth work better, mine often desynchronize (matching audio with the video) and I have to restart my headphone. My guess is that it's mostly my headphone and not the ignite tv box.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ReneHache wrote:

Hope bluetooth work better, mine often desynchronize (matching audio with the video) and I have to restart my headphone. My guess is that it's mostly my headphone and not the ignite tv box.

The XiOne set-top box supports Bluetooth 5.0.  (I believe the Xi6 supports Bluetooth 4.2). However, you will only be able to realize the benefits of that upgrade if your audio device also supports Bluetooth 5.  With older devices, you will most likely still run into problems with your audio drifting out of sync.

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 6 in conversation