cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite and Yamaha Reciever Issues

BobbyV
I've been here awhile

I have Rogers ignite box hooked up to a Yamaha RX-V6A with a Samsung UN60ES7500 TV. For about a year everything worked perfectly - can control audio thru the receiver, power TV on and off, switch between devices without issues. Then a few months back, when switching from another device - I.e. PS4/Chromecast back to the Rogers box, I could no longer control the Rogers box - completely locked/frozen. I would still get audio and video but could not interact with the box whatsoever. The only way around this would be to power down everything and then power it back up. Called Rogers , they came in and replaced the ignite box and remote but still same issue. Contacted Yamaha, brought in my receiver and they replaced the HDMI board, brought it back home hooked everything up again but still the issue persists. I’ve replace all the HDMI cables with new ones, tried using different HDMI ports on my TV and Reciever but still no luck. Very frustrating of course and Rogers has no next steps at this point but was hoping if anyone had a similar issue and could share and or provide some troubleshooting that would be appreciated. Thx.

***Added Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Ignite and Yamaha Reciever Issues

BobbyV
I've been here awhile

After some troubleshooting, I discovered that the issue was the HDMI port on the receiver that I was using.  I moved the Rogers Hdmi cable to a different port on the receiver, kept all the settings the same - receiver and TV side and now everything works perfectly again.  I can switch between devices seamlessly and the Ignite remote doesn't get locked up.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@BobbyV : have you tried turning off the HDMI-CEC feature in all your devices. Sometimes this "feature" will end up "fighting" the signals from the remote causing problems.  See item 4 of the following FAQ:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/threads/faq-hdmi-comments-issues.71112/

xdesigns
I've been here awhile

that's interesting. I have the same problem with my Yamaha RX-V6A receiver. If I connect my ignite box directly to it, then I can't pull up the guide or the apps page when I hit the rogers button. Changing channels up and down with the channel buttons doesn't seem to work either. If I input numbers direectly for a channel, then it will switch over to it after about a minute. If I power off the Ignite box, then when it boots up, everything works fine for about an hour then I get the problems again.

But if I run the ignite box to the TV instead, then I don't have any issues at all, although I'm not sure that it outputs sound in the correct format. I think I just seem to get stereo signals only for all channels, no 5.1. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@xdesigns wrote:

But if I run the ignite box to the TV instead, then I don't have any issues at all, although I'm not sure that it outputs sound in the correct format. I think I just seem to get stereo signals only for all channels, no 5.1. 

1. In the IgniteTV box go to Rogers - Settings - Device Settings - Audio - Expert Mode.  (Not Stereo)

2. In the TV's audio settings select Bitstream or Passthrough or similar (Not PCM or Stereo).

3. I assume you're using an optical cable and you've selected "external speakers" in the TV's audio settings.

4. This should give you DD5.1 to the AVR for most channels. Some channels are still DD2.0, so for those you'll need to set your decoder for Dolby Pro Logic II in order to get surround sound on those channels.  

Here's a thread on Surround Sound:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/IgniteTV-Surround-Sound/m-p/493199#M14173

Item 3/8 in post 1 has been resolved, as mentioned later in the thread - we are properly getting DD2.0 on DD2.0 channels.

BobbyV
I've been here awhile

After some troubleshooting, I discovered that the issue was the HDMI port on the receiver that I was using.  I moved the Rogers Hdmi cable to a different port on the receiver, kept all the settings the same - receiver and TV side and now everything works perfectly again.  I can switch between devices seamlessly and the Ignite remote doesn't get locked up.

xdesigns
I've been here awhile

thank you. It was in my TV settings, it was set to pass PCM. Changing to bitstream fixed it. (I have everything interconnected with HDMI only)

And Bobby V, I tried your idea of moving the Rogers STB into HDMI slot 4, and it seems to be working now too. I'm going to give it some time to see if that has really solved it, but that might be it, although it doesn't make much sense to me why that would be.

Evans80
I've been around
Wonder if someone can help me with connecting Samsung TV with rogers ignite box and Yamaha receiver. I can't seem to get any audio out of receiver.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well, that depends. What's the model number of the TV and the AVR?  If the AVR has HDMI in/out ports that handle HDMI audio (and support 4K video) , then it should be simple to connect the Rogers box to the AVR via HDMI and then to the TV from the AVR via HDMI, tuning both devices to the appropriate input.

Another option, if the AVR is not capable of 4K, is to connect the Rogers box to the TV via HDMI and then connect the TV to the AVR via the TV's optical out port (assuming it has one and the AVR has an optical input).  The TV audio settings then need to be set properly in the TV to send audio out the optical port (usually called "external speakers" or similar). You also need to set the TV's audio settings to "passthrough" or "bistream", or similar - not PCM/stereo. The AVR needs to be set to the optical input for audio

The Rogers box audio should probably be set for DD5.1 or Expert, rather than "stereo".  Much of this was discussed in my previous post in this thread.

Sometimes the AVR and/or TV may have HDMI ports that have different capabilities.  Make sure that the HDMI ports you're using on each device can handle the signals you want from the Rogers box.

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 4 in conversation