cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite WiFi Speed Problems Using Eero Router

furniss
I've been here awhile

Hi there, I need help with my network system and ignite Wi-Fi speed. I’m sending my Wi-Fi from my house to my shop through the Ubiquiti Nanostation LOCO M5 network system. I have an Eero pro router in my shop, wired to the Ubiquity antenna that then distributes the Wi-Fi in the shop. The shop is about 500’ away, direct line of sight, window to window. This distance is fine for the Nanostation, it’s good up to 10km if you get line of sight, which I have. When my network guy first hooked this up a few months ago, I had a Rogers internet package of 30mbs and had the full 30mbs speed running at the shop. Last month I upgraded to Rogers ignite 150 and for the first week or so I was getting about 60-70mbs speed at the shop when I was getting 150mbs at the house. I was also able to hook up my Rogers ignite TV box to my Eero router Wi-Fi network that is used at the shop because it is tied back to the house modem. As the weeks went on my speed gradually got slower and slower at the shop, but the house still kept its speed of 150mbs. So as of last night I’m getting a speed of about 20mbs at the shop and 150mbs at the house. Therefore, the Rogers Ignite TV at the shop is not getting enough WiFi strength to watch sports games without glitching. I was happy with getting the 60-70mbs at the shop, that’s enough for any streaming I do at the shop, but I feel like it may be just a small setting I need to change that will get me the full speed of 150mbs. The Nanostation Loco M5’s are good up to 300mbs, so I should easily get 150mbs. Can anybody help me with something I may be missing here? My network guy said that when he first hooked up my Nanostation he had to set the Rogers modem to 192.168.1.1 in order for the network to work properly. Now that I have upgraded to Ignite I don’t think my modem is set to the default gateway of 192.168.1.1. Does anyone know if that is the problem or not? Any help or info on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

*** Edited Labels ***

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Ignite WiFi Speed Problems Using Eero Router

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@furniss, the XB6 modems that are used for the Ignite TV service run with their LAN IP address set to 10.0.0.1. Rogers techs set up the Ignite TV service with the modem running the network with the modem in Gateway mode. Rogers doesn't support running the modem in Bridge mode, where a third party router runs the network. You can run the network and the set top boxes in that mode, but Rogers won't support you and won't troubleshoot the system if you run into any difficulties.

Having said that, several users do exactly that and the set top boxes work as they should. The only caveats are: 1. The network requires IPV6 running; and 2. If you do run into issues, you need to be able to switch the modem back into Gateway mode so that Rogers can troubleshoot the system. One complication to the system as configured by the techs, it appears that the modem is left to run in Auto mode for wifi channel selection, so it will wander around as it sees fit That can result in problems if you happen to run any other wifi transmitter as you can end up with co-channel interference when both modem and any other wifi transmitter ends up on the same wifi channel.

To change any of the modem's parameters, it appears that you have to download the wifi hub app that can connect directly to the modem, allowing you to change parameters as necessary. Or, I believe that you can online to change parameters. If you log into the modem and attempt to change parameters, you will end up with a warning indicating that the modems parameters are being run automatically and you need to use the app to make any changes, something like that. Lastly, if you reset the modem from scratch and never use the app or online services, I believe that allows you to retain local control, where you can log into the modem and make any changes that are required.

So, I suspect that you're going to have to familiarize yourself with the modems parameters as they are currently set, looking carefully at the LAN IP address and IP range, and the wifi channel selection. You should be able to log into the modem just to see what all of the settings are, but, you'll need the app to make any changes or be prepared to set the modem up yourself. After looking at the parameters in the modem, look at the rest of your network, specifically the IP range that it might be set to and the wifi channel in use.

Hopefully you will be able to determine if there are any IP conflicts and overlapping wifi channels. The Auto mode for the modem's wifi channel is problematic as that will change the channels at any time, potentially resulting in a channel conflict with your network. At the very least, I'd say that you will have to download the wifi hub app and lock the modem's wifi channels to specific channels so that they don't conflict with your network channels.

Are you running your ubiquity wifi on a 2.4 or 5 Ghz channel? I suspect a 2.4 Ghz channel, but, just wondering? Do you have a wifi montor program available so that you can check out the wifi environment to see what the modem is doing and look for competing networks that your neighbours are running?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
@furniss, my apologies for what appears to be a long winded single paragraph answer. It looks like Lithium has once again broken the web site. That response is actually a multi-paragraph response. The web software dumped all of the line returns upon posting, resulting in one long paragraph, and, I can't get back into that post to modify it at the present time. I'm going to have to pick apart the web page to determine the site addressing and update my site blocking for the new addresses, once again ........

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
I'm thinking that your speed degradation could be caused by one (or all) of three things: 1) Somebody else in the area using the same channel/frequency as you. Only one Wi-Fi client can transmit on a given frequency at a time so if others are using that same channel, even if they are on a completely different Wi-Fi network, your network performance will degrade. 2) The antennas on your point-to-point link are out of alignment. 3) Interference, especially if you are using the 2.4 GHz frequency band for this link. Lots of things transmit on those frequencies, even non-Wi-Fi devices. Regardless of the source, you can only transmit while there is clear airspace. The other problem is that a 2.4 GHz signal is blocked by metal and absorbed by water, so those factors could also weaken your signal and drop your transmission speed.
Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation